Leo Gura

Leo's Practical Guide To Enlightenment

470 posts in this topic

lol I just imagine what would happen if everyone will share this on social media! Who would be open enough to take this for real, if someone never heard before of enlightenment?

Now let me ruin your day...

Are you entangled in family traditions? Are you entangled in money profit making? Do you have much possessions? Stuck in religious dogmas that do not show the way? Are you not living secluded from worldly activities? Are you not secluded from unwholesome deeds? Do you have much security in life?

Good, now you can read the post of Leo over and over again everyday, and swim from shore to shore, without being able to dwell freely in the enlightened stage you've just had due to the discipline that doesn't support it, due to the sense indulgence and the worries that arise due to possessions, family traditions and worldly activities that swallow you straight back.

Those living simple, few possessions, live secluded from worldly activities, live secluded from unwholesome deeds and are always mindful, eat and drink not to much or to little, surely can remain free of mind.

Edited by Motus

By the way, those who read the post of Leo, most will celebrate soon with family, Christmas is coming! Dinner will be ready, with a lot of food and happy faces with presents.

And then you can come and  might read Leo's post again, and explain here how your christmas was. And might give Leo reputation for his post, quickly, before the next appointment, someones birthday with great pie and refreshments.

Seriously, no matter how well written an article about enlightenment is, you won't have any advantages, if your discipline does not support it first and put the well written words not in action.

Keep this in mind.

(This is an “I”-friendly post, so no comments on how many times ‘I’ use “I”!)

This is great, thanks for sharing Leo! 

I was actually quite surprised when I read the "How to actually practise getting enlightened" section. Not in a bad way, but because it is exactly what i've been doing for the past 4 months. I've just been under the impression that it was a form of self-inquiry. Still, there's a lot of interesting stuff here that I haven't been doing. I don't claim to be a pro on this stuff, so take my comments lightly! 

I can verify Leo's comments on it taking a few months to get your bearings straight. It was only after around 2 months that I really begun to understand and 'get into' the process, even though it seems quite simple on the surface. I’d recommend starting with 30 mins, or even 20 mins if you’ve never done any sort of self-inquiry/observation before.

Even though the technique seems quite simple, I’ve definitely noticed a sort of development or progression in the way that i’ve thought about various things. Not sure if it’s meant to be like that? Anyway, I find that you progress and progress and then get completely stuck. You feel confused and frustrated and feel like there’s no way of getting around it. But then eventually you have an insight and you kind of see through it. The insight being some small aspect of how you ‘see’ or ‘observe’ yourself (if that makes sense?), and then the cycle repeats.

I should also note that after you've done this for a few months you'll find that after around 30 mins (sometimes less) into the practise, you get into an extremely high level of concentration where it becomes quite easy to stay focused on the observation, with a surprisingly minimal amount of monkey mind. That's what i've found anyway. 

Doing this sort of practise throughout your day also helps to create a sense of momentum. Get into the habit of doing a couple minutes here and a couple minutes there.

Again, just re-stating what Leo has written, the most important thing is direct experience i.e. what is happening in your experience Right Now in this very moment! What are your six senses really telling you?

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

If you answered: "YES! YES! NO! YES! I UNDERSTAND!"  then there's a pretty good chance you're enlightened. If your answers were not: "YES! YES! YES! NO! YES! I UNDERSTAND!"  then chances are you aren't enlightened. Keep trying.

Something is not quite right there.

Edited by Ape

Thanks Leo, as always, but you know that there's a lot more to it than just seeing the absolute. I love including all the other stuff, even though it sounds like phenomenon. The reason for this is because it gives more clues. The Zen devil clip was very informative with new info. Thanks. You said new info in very subtle ways. Great technique.

Edited by Key Elements

@Leo Gura One of my favourite questions or mantras is something along the lines of, am I an object or the observer, and I realised after reading your post and contemplating that I've been inadvertently asking am I one object or another object because I assumed the observer was a "greater" me, another object. After that I found bliss quite quickly which wasn't the no-self I was looking for, but finding that so quickly was progress anyway.

@Neo There is no you ;)

"Let him that would move the world first move himself." -- Socrates

@Babybat Tell us what you identify with. From your direct experience, not from ideas.

There are many additional facets to enlightenment, and various additional insights. So there certainly can be more. Here I was covering the most fundamental insight of WHAT you are.

I left out facets such as: love, mind, other, reality, God, life, etc.

Just a question, you're saying consciousness exists independent of the brain and body. Lets say i hit my head and my brain becomes damaged, wouldnt this impact my consciousness therefore proving that my consciousness actually originates in the brain?

@AxelK It would impact the mind's phenomenal experience.

But consciousness is way deeper than you're presently thinking of it as. You don't have direct consciousness of consciousness yet (of course, otherwise you'd be enlightened) so you're confusing consciousness with phenomenal experience. But consciousness is independent of experience. That's the whole point.

Consciousness was there before you were born. And it will be there long after you're dead.

Also note: "the brain" is an idea. It doesn't exist in direct experience. And when it does, it's a phenomena, not a brain. All of it occurring in consciousness (Nothingness).

Discover the eternal, immovable Nothingness that you are.

@Leo Gura Ok, so would it be more correct to say that the brain is just a tool to experience consciousness?

Edited by AxelK

11 hours ago, Ape said:

Something is not quite right there.

Don't worry, it's a side effect of all the psychedelics he's ingested ;)

3 minutes ago, AxelK said:

@Leo Gura Ok, so would it be more correct to say that the brain is just a tool to experience consciousness?

No, the brain is just an idea. Examine what "the brain" really is.

15 hours ago, Motus said:

By the way, those who read the post of Leo, most will celebrate soon with family, Christmas is coming! Dinner will be ready, with a lot of food and happy faces with presents.

And then you can come and  might read Leo's post again, and explain here how your christmas was. And might give Leo reputation for his post, quickly, before the next appointment, someones birthday with great pie and refreshments.

Seriously, no matter how well written an article about enlightenment is, you won't have any advantages, if your discipline does not support it first and put the well written words not in action.

Keep this in mind.

Do you hold yourself accountable to your own enlightened values? After all, you're here bullshitting on a forum ? . If family is so bad why is internet better? Just curious

Edited by Wormon Blatburm