Staples

Films hinting at enlightenment

26 posts in this topic

Hey Actualizers,

Thought I'd share with you my favorite movie. And the reason it is my favorite movie is because it's all about letting go of ego.

And that movie is The Last Black Man in San Francisco.

A brief synopsis;

'Jimmie Fails dreams of reclaiming the Victorian home his grandfather built in the heart of San Francisco. Joined on his quest by his best friend Mont, Jimmie searches for belonging in a rapidly changing city that seems to have left them behind. As he struggles to reconnect with his family and reconstruct the community he longs for, his hopes blind him to the reality of his situation.'

I'm not going to spoil anything, but know this going into it: That Victorian house is literally Jimmie's ego. His whole self-identity is wrapped up in that house.

I think you'll find it a trip to watch :)

And if you know of any films similar or are about letting go of ego, let me know. I'll probably love them too.

Edited by Staples

I don't know a film, but I know a book that reminded me of the enlightenment Leo talks about. It's called the Mysterious Stranger by Mark Twain, but I don't wanna spoiler it in case you want to watch it. 

New movie, “Free Guy” with Ryan Reynolds. He’s an NPC in a computer game who awakens to the truth. Sweet movie. Lots of deep humor.  

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

34 minutes ago, sleep said:

I don't know a film, but I know a book that reminded me of the enlightenment Leo talks about. It's called the Mysterious Stranger by Mark Twain, but I don't wanna spoiler it in case you want to watch it. 

Ending scene from the movie is very powerful: 

44 minutes ago, Nahm said:

New movie, “Free Guy” with Ryan Reynolds. He’s an NPC in a computer game who awakens to the truth. Sweet movie. Lots of deep humor.  

I need to see this film, sounds amazing xD 

'When you look outside yourself for something to make you feel complete, you never get to know the fullness of your essential nature.' - Amoda Maa Jeevan

Mr. Nobody

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

Been referenced on the forum quite a bit recently, but 'American Beauty' falls into this category I'd say. It's about the awakening of desire, and then a recognition of the mysterious force that pervades all of life.

4 hours ago, Adrian325 said:

"Inception"

Great shout, love that film - it's essentially a heist film, but it's the tragic backstory that really gets me. Oh and Hans Zimmer's score, my word ?

'When you look outside yourself for something to make you feel complete, you never get to know the fullness of your essential nature.' - Amoda Maa Jeevan

2 hours ago, Adrian325 said:

@RickyFitts same for me..the infinite dream and how you never die, you just awaken

Love that :) 2001 is also a great shout, very deep film.

On 30.9.2021 at 0:43 AM, Nahm said:

Holy shit, feel like loosing my mind again after watching it for an hour.

Life Purpose journey

Presence. Goodness. Grace. Love.

On 9/29/2021 at 2:41 PM, Staples said:

The Last Black Man in San Francisco

Makes sense. Sounds like a nod to the original title of 1984 -- The Last Man in Europe -- which can easily be seen to be about enlightenment.

Check out the movie watchers guide to enlightenment (mwge.org). The website seems to use a lot of acim terminology. 

It can be a legit spiritual practice to look at movies from a perspective of spirituality. Some films can be seen as a powerful technology implanted in the dream to help you see whats real and to let go of attachments.

Some amazing  spiritual movies, that point to towards awakening to an everpresent Reality that we are already but have just forgotten. Most of these I found from that site:

• Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
  • Fearless (1993)
  • Truman Show
  • 13th floor
  • Waking Life

Edited by TheAlchemist

"Only that which can change can continue."

-James P. Carse

See "Lucy".

Probably the most extreme example in a Hollywood Blockbuster, obviously with sci fi elements to make it an interesting movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUad0ZL-nBU

Edited by RMQualtrough

Annihilation is an excellent movie very clearly about enlightenment, but subtle enough to be taken as sci-fi by those that don't know what to look for :)