Rasheed

What is closest university major to personal development?

18 posts in this topic

What is closest university major to personal development? I mean if individual is passionate about self help, which major to choose that is the closest to that? Probably psychology…what you think?

Digital Minimalism: A philosophy of technology use in which you focus your online time on a small number of carefully selected and optimized activities that strongly support things you value, and then happily miss out on everything else.” - Cal Newport

I study psychology and I don't find it super useful for my own work.. at least not most of the time, but sometimes there is something interesting that I read more into - as we had about narrative therapy and that really made me realize a lot about how I live the stories I tell myself - and then I read a book about it the professor recommended me, which gave me a lot of tools to change this. This was actually a really important step on my path now when I think about it...

But yea psychology is definitely more useful for helping others who haven't started on the path of self-development yet! 

But just in itself self, the subject is super interesting (but of course that is just how I feel) I enjoy that we both go through philosophy, the more biological stuff like neuroscience, and then subjects like trauma and child development. Also, you can take it in so many directions further on, which is good if you feel passionate about lots of things or just want to have every option open!

I used to want to do science and research on psychedelics and psychedelic therapy. Then I became more interested in neuroscience and was so much in love with all the brain stuff. Then it was more trauma and psychotherapy-subject - which was my plan to add further on. I also wanted to work with astronauts and how you can be successful when working in difficult conditions (like outer space) at some point! I also thought about running my own therapy center with psychedelic therapy! haha... And.. now I'm more interested in just making art .. So I use my studies as inspirations for this - but I really don't know. There are many options! Also I enjoy it when we read something philosophy-like, which we sometimes do. 

I think I have learned some stuff from studying psychology that has made me better able to communicate with my friends (help them when they feel down) actually. Mostly from reading about narrative therapy though, which I could have done on my own I guess. 

It is a very useful subject to study because it gives you a lot of credit in society if, for example, you choose to study psychotherapy further on or something like that - you will have more credibility with the psychology title also. 

But yea if studying is purely for your own sake and not to get a job I would choose philosophy or maybe literature/art ... but like... if it's not to get a job then maybe go travel or go live at a vipassana center or ayahuasca center instead. 

But actually... When I think about it... Every subject you can study has the potential of being useful for self-development. Because everything is you and you can be passionate about discovering yourself from different lenses... art... biology... mathematics... philosophy...psychology/neuro-science.... animal studies (!!)  It's all just ways of looking at God. You can't do anything wrong really. Maybe just choose what you are good at or what you liked to do as a child. 

To me Psychology. I disagree with the previous posts lol. 

Psychology is a broad subject field with multiple disciplines and then if you go into the clinical section of psychology, it gets broader within that discipline. 

It really depends on how you want to help yourself/others. I think a mix of biology, psychology, philosophy, behaviorism, and spirituality are necessary.

2 hours ago, Fearey said:

Philosophy for sure

And maybe sociology as well

All majors if you ask me…but that’s only if you have some kind of higher purpose to you pursuing that field of study.

If you’re just declaring a major blindly with no strategy of how it fits into the bigger picture of your goals, then you automatically move in the opposite direction of personal development.

Real question is what kind of work are you passionate about and will college or university help you get there. If so, how? No one can provide an answer to this but you.

Edited by Terell Kirby

Academic philosophy has very little to do with personal development. You should expect 0 personal development gains from it.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Communication Studies 100%.
Not Communications (like broadcasting/journalism) but the actual study of communicative behavior. So much personal development there.  

Edited by Gianna

9 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Academic philosophy has very little to do with personal development. You should expect 0 personal development gains from it.

@Leo Gura Depends on how you do it. I am starting my undergrad in Philosophy, Politics and History (a combined course) at a University in London. I will be integrating actualized.org content, your book list, my degree, amongst other things. A part of Philosophy is academic by its very nature as philosophy originally stemmed from the universities. Problem today is that how universities are teaching philosophy is baked with materialist undertones which sucks the spiritual element of philosophy. Philosophy in its truest nature is the best course for personal development in my opinion.

Transpersonal psychology. Not that it will wake you up, but it is one of the closer fields that the mind can comprehend. Check out Steve Taylor's research and books, as an example.

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.

3 hours ago, SS10 said:

@Leo Gura Depends on how you do it. I am starting my undergrad in Philosophy, Politics and History (a combined course) at a University in London. I will be integrating actualized.org content, your book list, my degree, amongst other things. A part of Philosophy is academic by its very nature as philosophy originally stemmed from the universities. Problem today is that how universities are teaching philosophy is baked with materialist undertones which sucks the spiritual element of philosophy. Philosophy in its truest nature is the best course for personal development in my opinion.

If you take academic philosophy and add Actualized.org to it, then you will get all the personal dev benefits of Actualized.org. Surprise!

Thanks everyone for the answers.

@Leo Gura What you think is closest to personal development in university?

Digital Minimalism: A philosophy of technology use in which you focus your online time on a small number of carefully selected and optimized activities that strongly support things you value, and then happily miss out on everything else.” - Cal Newport

7 hours ago, Rasheed said:

Thanks everyone for the answers.

@Leo Gura What you think is closest to personal development in university?

There really isn't. It's best not to fool yourself that there is.

Study whatever major most fascinates you or helps your career.

Psychology, philosophy, sociology, comparative religion -- these might fascinate you if you enjoy my work.

On 9/5/2021 at 10:53 AM, Leo Gura said:

If you take academic philosophy and add Actualized.org to it, then you will get all the personal dev benefits of Actualized.org. Surprise!

?

I would say a degree in psychotherapy, which is what I am doing. It is basically all personal development mixed with philosophy /pyschology. 

Edited by Seed

Thanks Leo.

Its always philosophy.philosophy is the closest thing to personal improvement

Psychology is trash.psychology classes are cash grab.do not go for psychology