Regan

Does MMA exist in a society operating at its highest potential?

28 posts in this topic

Does MMA exist in a society operating at its highest potential?

Mixed Martial Arts, competitive fighting 

Probably not, considering it's sort of motivated by a sort of Neanderthal desire to dominate others in a violent way.  MMA in it's current form is extremely exploitative of its athletes in a way that's really gross.  It reduces human beings to meaty objects to be used to create a spectacle for the sake of profit.  It coldly sacrifices the health of it's participants for entertainment for the masses.  

Does this sound like the sport of a highly advanced society?  

I'm not sure if it's as simple as that. Many fighters claim that they love fighting, so I think it's a question of does their love for fighting exist in this society. I then think it's a question of would fully conscious people still have a love for fighting? It's hard to say for sure because to say it is would be to compare the feeling of living life at your fullest potential, to the love fighters have for fighting, and I haven't experienced either.

Edited by Regan

My opinion:

If the fighters like the job, and the customers like the product, then what is the problem?

Yes their bodies gets damaged, but what if that's a cost which they don't mind paying?

People should have the right to do whatever they want with their bodies, as long as it doesn't harm others against their will.

Let's play with the idea that I want to be a MMA fighter, but I wouldn't be allowed: that would make me pissed. And also the customers would get pissed.

Edited by Blackhawk

I guess it's a question of does a person who wants to be an MMA fighter exist in a society operating at its highest potential? As that society would be drastically different than ours today as it would be full of enlightened people (or would it?)

Edited by Regan

24 minutes ago, Regan said:

I'm not sure if it's as simple as that. Many fighters claim that they love fighting, so I think it's a question of does their love for fighting exist in this society. I then think it's a question of would fully conscious people still have a love for fighting? It's hard to say for sure because to say it is would be to compare the feeling of living life at your fullest potential, to the love fighters have for fighting, and I haven't experienced either.

Do you think highly conscious people would want to engage in a game of "let's see who can give eachother more brain damage by bludgeoning eachother with our fists, elbows, knees, and shins?"  

Fighters say they love fighting, what they truly mean to say is they love the money, accolades, and adrenaline experience.  That's something far different then the highest love that highly conscious people talk about.  

it's largely low conscious and all sorts of dumb drama and gimmicks are stirred up to sell PPV purchases. It can be entertaining but I'm not gonna lie to myself that it's somehow particularly intelligent or conscious. 

@Regan Interesting question.

I think you're basically also asking what the future of MMA is down the road.

Personally I love watching MMA fights, but I don't think that makes me a "low conscious" person exactly since it seems to us that MMA only appeals to the low conscious, SD stage Red individuals because its all so bloody and brutal.

I remember Dana White said something in a video along the lines of, "fighting will stick around forever, for hundreds of years people loved watching two people fight against each other." I do think that's true but at the same time, who's to say we won't outgrow it?

Boxing was huge back in the day, now it seems like its starting to die off. Now it has turned into Youtubers boxing other Youtubers, basketball players, and wrestlers.. HAHAH. But boxing seems to have died off because like Dana said, they give someone a guaranteed couple million dollar paycheck then they run around dodging the whole fight. MMA is bigger than boxing because that's where the real action is at.

Anyways, its already impressive that fighting is still around and bigger than ever these days in a more developed society, but still somewhat expected with the rise of technology and increased marketing for the sport.

I'll use the spiral dynamics model for reference to better explain my ideas here. As a society we're still probably within the stage blue, green, orange era, specifically in the more developed, western countries. So of course MMA still exists and appeals to us. Although, I think once we start getting into stage green, that's when it might start to slow down or die off. Yellow & Turquoise might find it more tolerable with the attitude of "Who cares do whatever you want" and the sport might come back but it probably won't be as big as how it is now.

Are all MMA fighters fully or partially stage Red? Ehh, for the most part maybe but I don't think so exactly. Khabib seems like he's stage Blue being a religious family man, and the rest of the fighters seem like they could be within' Blue/Orange. Could stage Green & higher individuals be MMA fighters? This is where it becomes complicated but if they have a passion for fighting itself then I don't see why not.

This question is sort of like asking if crime will still exist in a society operating at its highest potential. I think of course there's always going to be individuals at a lower level of consciousness who will commit crime due to desperate situations, so crime will still exist but just at a lower rate compared to how it was before then. Will crime ever disappear completely? Could be possible thousands of years later, but who knows, that's the difficult question that requires us to look extremely far ahead with such clear vision about the future.

"Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death." - Albert Einstein

I get bored when I see or hear about MMA, even though it sounds cool in theory. One reason I dislike it might be because it isn't the ideal I envision for martial arts and fighting.

In these fictional martial art movies and films, you always see the characters doing these techniques and movements with elegance. And you have the reference to some Taoist shit or something. References to Chinese martial arts, etc. 

In MMA and boxing, it just looks like a bunch of chimps battering each other senselessly. But if that's the truth about what's effective in real fighting, who am I to argue. But I don't think MMA is necessarily what "real fighting" would look like either, since even MMA has rules. Rules which ban techniques or certain kinds of attacks, for the sake of things not becoming even more dangerous and bloody. 

5 hours ago, Regan said:

@Regan There will always be joy in sparring, duelling and fighting. "Rough and tumble play" , but ofc we enter this danger and more extreme element now with some of these sports or activities. 

It's a good question tbh, idk. 

There are different kinds of fighting, that's a fact for sure. There is non-playful fighting ofc, which we call violence. At its most extreme, "fighting" is about destroying the other person whatever means necessary. People using guns to kill people. Or maybe in countries where people don't have guns, knives instead. 

I think it's a shame the world is the way it is. You can't risk trying to get into a fair fight with a person you've just met and have beef with, there's a chance they'll use a weapon and turn it lethal. The only time for fair fighting seems to be when you're in school with other kids your age who you know. I pity people who never got into school fights, I wish I got into even more.  

Edited by lmfao

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

I think MMA would absolutely exist or martial arts in general would absolutely exist. They would exist in a society operating at it's highest potential! It's professional athletics or a professional sport.

Athletics will always exist in all forms in the highest-developed societies! Being an athlete is something fundamental to your Life Purpose, even. Mastering something by lots of practice and repetition, discipline, focus, growth, sucking initially and getting better at it. These are high-consciousness values that professional athleticism is fundamentally based on and it is core to human beings. Which is why 'finding your game' is crucial to finding your Life Purpose. If it's MMA, it's MMA!

Edit - Relative to athletes and sports, an important thing to add is that 'Play' or 'Game' is a very core, fundamental facet of The Absolute. This is why it can be a high-consciousness value for world-class MMA-fighters or world-class athletes in general! Especially the world-champions.

Edited by Parththakkar12

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one." - Bruce Lee

Yes, in virtual reality.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

I don't think the human impulse to engage in violent warfare ever goes away. After all, every person must pass through the Red stage of development even in a Turquoise society. So instead, the best we can hope for is that it is transmuted into alternative forms of human expression that aren't as destructive. In our current society we see that transmutation take the form of professional sports including MMA, violent video games, violent movies, etc. So it may take a different form in the future but it will probably be necessary for people to have some place where they can (safely) let out those impulses to dominate and control others.

I think the interest in the sport itself would still exist. After all, it's just a form of exercise. But I doubt people would want to compete in it. Martial arts can be seen as self-expressive and a creative outlet, but at the competitive level, it's mostly ego. 

Peter Ralston for example is into Martial Arts which shows it ain't all about ego and competitiveness. 

I have thought about this before, it probably dose but would just be different in how its done. The empathise would be more on how it can grown you spiritually and as a person. All the trash talk and theatrics would go. But yeah I could also see it completely dyeing in a very evolved society where every is enlightened. 

I dont think MMA will be there in a highly evolved society, as in this form like making women stand in bikni when fighters come to weigh, why are women even there? what are they eye candy? not talking about women who fight, why are men not standing like that when women comes and weigh for fight? press conference to trash talk oh i am going to kill this guy, iam gonna chew this guy. all done seriously but in introspect looks stupid?

Enlightened beings will be working on compassion than fighting to knock out someone and cause concussion. There wont be much fans for it in future like boxing nowadays and wrestling (wwe) maybe it will evolve into a less compact sport or something, maybe new ways of expressing red and blue will be there with VR or AI.  Fans are as important as fighter themselves as fans provide lot of money to these, when they form group and cheer for someone or there nationals lot of revenue is generated like conor brought most of irish people to watch his fight. MMA was getting lot of eyeballs and revenue through him.  when people get evolve and see how stupid is to argue and fight over someones physical strength, nationalism etc they will slowly move away from it. meanwhile conor will be using Loa for spirituality and building some great business that helps humans leap forward instead of starting a whisky. (no prob in starting a whisky company b/w)

Edited by Harikrishnan

I will be waiting here, For your silence to break, For your soul to shake,              For your love to wake! Rumi

I'd consider Bruce Lee as a good example for a stage yellow fighter/fitness/martial artist to develop into. During his time, the majority of martial artists were too stage blue, too conformist in tradition, and didn't like incorporating western fitness into their practices. It took some interest with philosophy, tons of reading, and a love for fighting and martial arts, and a bit of ambition and open mindedness, that he created his JKD system, which other organizations modelled off a bit to create MMA.

As long as stage red exists as a developmental path for society to evolve through, for people to evolve through, and as long as there are lower stages of ego development, MMA isn't going extinct any time soon. It might evolve into alternative forms of entertainment and skill excellence.