lmfao

Does eating meat lower consciousness?

28 posts in this topic

An open thread and invitation to those who claim to know or want to share. 

In recent times I've found meat more gross as a gut/disgust reaction. Meat can be gamey, boney, fatty and weird. I like meat when it's a nice grilled fillet which is boneless and well prepared. What I'm saying sounds like it might just be fussiness and disgust sensitivity, rather than anything which is inherently meaningful.

I've found eating meat to 'cause' my energy levels, and mind, to become more static and flat. It doesn't feel so fresh and nimble in my body, is my perception.

I don't know whether I'm making all this shit up due to Sadhguru planting his seed in my unconscious. 
--
Is this question about meat a purely physical/chemistry matter, where different people have different interactions with things? 

Do you believe that meat contains emotions of fear and hatred from the animal and that is important for health? 

Does the ethics effect the health? To what extent are they separate or distinct matters? 
--

I absolutely did not make this thread due to me being stuck on what I should eat for dinner today. 

Edited by lmfao

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

If doing a thing feels bad to you and you do it anyway, there might be downsides to doing that thing. But I don't think meat in itself contains any substance that would hinder your spiritual development.

Meat does not cause a spike in dopamine like most high carb foods. So your not getting high. 

Edited by integral

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

Yes, because meat contains the memory/chemicals of animal's suffering. It isn't merely ethics or their absence that influence your consciousness but actually the physiological/"material" aspects as well

Edited by Hello from Russia

Of course, not. This kind of thinking assumes that consciousness is a material possession that can be acquired, increased or decreased, but that's not what it actually is. Vegans/hippies feel free to prove me wrong.

The reality is that everything is relative and everyone is biased towards certain agendas. It doesn't mean that some agendas are better or "higher in consciousness" than others. It just means that people use all sorts of BS explanations and justifications to further push their agendas. In this case, people allude to higher consciousness as an argument to appeal to the spiritual/sensitive side of people, as if it actually means anything other than what it is, a deception. (Ironically, most people use these arguments rather unconsciously ?).

Edited by Gesundheit

If you have no confidence in yourself, you are twice defeated in the race of life. But with confidence you have won, even before you start.” -- Marcus Garvey

what you need to be careful of, is a vegan ideology, like any ideology, also lowers your consciousness.

Ethics would only effect health if you believe it does.

I do think a healthy vegetarian diet is better on the cardiovascular system and in my experience makes the quality of my conscious experience more clear.  

That being said I do think some lean meats are ok, like fish or chicken.  Sometimes the extra animal protein can be helpful if you're an athlete.  

I do think that a vegetarian diet is best for someone who is trying to increase their clarity.  That's my personal feelings on the matter.

@lmfao On an LSD trip earlier in the year I realised that poor quality meat is definitely more contracted and lower consciousness. I don't believe that all meat in general is low consciousness or has a negative effect on the body. But it was clear to me that the meat from animals that have been deeply suffering their whole lives, lived in poor conditions etc, is not good for consumption. Think about the quality of meat from a cow that has lived a happy life, who was not suffering or in pain at the time of death. Its body would be a gift to us. Of course any food that is deeply contracted (heavily processed foods etc) should be avoided.

"Find what you love and let it kill you." - Charles Bukowski

If you neglect your body physically and emotionally, you will stress it and it will go into survival mode.
Humans are omnivores, so going either way too far is not going to be healthy.
Best to listen to your gut because it knows what it wants.

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

I was a full time meat eater until about 10 years ago. When I started to skip meat a couple of meals a week, I clearly felt more energetic and clearer in my head. I went full vegan, became very weak, then started testing all different kinds of meats, different timespans between meaty meals, ... and came to the conclusion that for my body, the best thing is a 150 gr of organic poultry every 3 days.

It depends on your body build, your environment, your actions/work, ...

9 hours ago, lmfao said:

Do you believe that meat contains emotions of fear and hatred from the animal and that is important for health? 

I have pondered this many times. While we have no practical tools to measure this or research methods I do believe that certain foods have frequencies and these can get taken in your body. Where fruits and vegetables are high frequency, dead foods like meat and processed grains are low frequency fods. I still don't know to what degree I believe in this or not, just kinda entertaining the thought. 

In a more biochemical way, the animal would have peak levels of adrenaline and cortisol at the time of their death and we know that receptors for stress hormones are positioned nearly in every tissue. In muscle tissue high density of catecholamine (adrenaline, noradrenaline etc) receptors are present. So is it possible that those stress hormones are still present in the steak? Possibly yes, dunno but I wouldn't discount it. 

For me personally, I feel lighter on plant foods but I am genetically well adapted to high carb diets (tested myself) so others may need more fatty diets or heavier meaty ones. We are all unique blends of biochemistry and energetics 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

You can see if this is true by testing it for yourself. Try different diets and stick with what makes you feel better. Each body is unique and you need experimentation to see what leaves you drained and what leaves you energized. Junk food and bad quality meat are certainly low vibration. The way the animal is killed also plays a role. If the animal knows that is going to die more stress hormones will be released, the quality will be worse and will possibly consume this stress. If an animal lives in a tiny space all of his life you can't expect it's meat to be so good for you. In my case i found out that eating meat rarely is better for my energy (about one time per week) but everyone is different. For some people vegan diet is optimal. 

I think going vegetarian is the most concious choice . 

The ecological choice , the compassionate choice , the healthy choice . 

I want to go vegetarian but circumstances make it a bit tricky , once im independent it will be done . 

@Space interesting

51 minutes ago, BlackMaze said:

The way the animal is killed also plays a role. If the animal knows that is going to die more stress hormones will be released, the quality will be worse and will possibly consume this stress. If an animal lives in a tiny space all of his life you can't expect it's meat to be so good for you. In my case i found out that eating meat rarely is better for my energy (about one time per week) but everyone is different.

4 hours ago, Michael569 said:

In a more biochemical way, the animal would have peak levels of adrenaline and cortisol at the time of their death and we know that receptors for stress hormones are positioned nearly in every tissue. In muscle tissue high density of catecholamine (adrenaline, noradrenaline etc) receptors are present. So is it possible that those stress hormones are still present in the steak? Possibly yes, dunno but I wouldn't discount it. 

For me personally, I feel lighter on plant foods but I am genetically well adapted to high carb diets (tested myself) so others may need more fatty diets or heavier meaty ones. We are all unique blends of biochemistry and energetics 

Hmmmm right. 

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

8 minutes ago, lmfao said:

@Space interesting

Hmmmm right. 

Seeing what you want to see. Your just a dopamine addict. 

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

30 minutes ago, integral said:

Seeing what you want to see. Your just a dopamine addict. 

I'm literally holding and munching on a cucumber as I read this, dont worry. I am just osmosis-ing in what everyone is saying. 

Overall, I can do nothing but just try out things or develop a good intuition and watching myself. I don't think the disgust towards meat, which is a branch of being disgusted by the image of "rotting flesh", is completely coincidental.

Edited by lmfao

19 minutes ago, lmfao said:

I'm literally holding and munching on a cucumber as I read this, dont worry.

@lmfao lmfao. 

15 hours ago, lmfao said:

An open thread and invitation to those who claim to know or want to share. 

I quit non-vegetarian food for 5 months, and my body did not accept it. Our bodies are different, and we should be aware of what works best for us and what doesn't. Now, my diet is vegetarian, mostly - with an occasional non-vegetarian dish. 

Also, have you heard of the Blue Zones? These people live longer than average, and they owe it to their dietary habits. Almost 95% of their diet comprises of plant-based stuff. They eat meat sparingly. 

Check this out. It's amazing: 

1) https://www.bluezones.com/2020/07/blue-zones-diet-food-secrets-of-the-worlds-longest-lived-people/#:~:text=Consume meat no more than twice a week.&text=Avoid processed meats like hot,ate no meat at all.)

2) https://www.bluezones.com/recipes/food-guidelines/

Hope this helps. 

I tried vegetarianism for 6 months, got really sick, then went back to meat and felt 100x more energized and focused. 

I like Nahm's/Osho's quote. Dont listen to any of us. Just listen to the body.

Went vegan for 5 months, felt more 'spiritual' I thought, but external circumstances were affecting me much more, to the point I thought I was going a bit crazy. Introduced 1 2 boiled eggs a day, felt a bit better for 2 weeks, then mentally started degrading again.

Re introduced chicken in my diet, I feel normal again.

Whether you think meat lowers consciousness or not, you're right.