Annoynymous

The case of George Floyd: Is something like that a common phenomenon in America?

49 posts in this topic

The thing that happened in Minneapolis was terrible. How could the police so brutal? I have heard that this wasn't the first time when police brutality and excess of force allegedly happened against the black people in America. Is that true? If it is, then why America doesn't do something about it?  

It's actually not that simple 

This is not really a white versus black issue. It's more about cops versus civilians. Cops act thuggish and show a lot of power. It's basically abuse of power. 

The media tries to pit the black against the white. Actually in reality, both whites and blacks want unity and not racism. White people do not approve such treatment given to blacks or minorities. 

We are all one race.. This understanding will take a lot of time. It's a shame that even in 21st century we have to deal with race issues. We are all one.. And we should work towards it. Towards unity of the human race. 

Also a lot of these people who join cops don't actually do it with the intention to serve the country. They do it to wield power. They have been bullies in school, they are abusers and wife beaters, they join military because they like gore. They like having power and control. So such people run to join the police force. Once they become cops, they get to show their power.. 

Plus American constitution is very much on paper. The police don't care about it. So when a civilian holds their arms up and talk about 1st Amendment or any other amendment, the cops don't pay attention and start arresting anyway. 

But not all cops are like trigger happy cops. But a lot of cops are power obsessed. 

It's not like white people don't become victims of cop violence or police brutality. They also become victims but it's mostly minorities who become victims because minorities don't have much money in terms of lawyers and case fees to deal with injustice. If thrown in jail, there's no way to protect them without money. 

So money is also at the root of this. How many rich people do you see suffering police brutality. 

White people also want to put an end to this menace.. But the government is generally on the side of the cops. Notice they only take action when there is an uproar. They did a good job with the body cam feature. 

But it's the recruitment. That needs to change. We need more high consciousness police officers. High consciousness police officers will be less likely to escalate violence, peacefully arrest criminals and not have racist ideologies towards people. 

Edited by Preety_India

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

34 minutes ago, Annoynymous said:

I have heard that this wasn't the first time when police brutality and excess of force allegedly happened against the black people in America. Is that true? 

Yes. Unfortunately it’s relatively common. 

@Annoynymous

Because the government doesn't side with the people, it sides with the cops. 

That's why American public wants second amendment. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

1 hour ago, Annoynymous said:

The thing that happened in Minneapolis was terrible. How could the police so brutal? I have heard that this wasn't the first time when police brutality and excess of force allegedly happened against the black people in America. Is that true? If it is, then why America doesn't do something about it?  

It’s a problem of fear, survival and premature consciousness. Problems in race, government and ideology are a direct derivatives of this.

No problem has ever been solved in trying to personify it. Problems need to be considered from a systems perspective. Eg. The dynamics of behaviour, collectives, context, and predispositions.

Edited by Jacobsrw

It was definitely excessive and it should go to trail.

But also don't overlook how difficult policing is.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura the officer hold George Floyd by his neck for 8 long fucking minutes! I call that a murder and i think in this case, it was not a question of how "difficult" policing is, it's a question of how bad the policing is.

Edited by Annoynymous

@John Doe i couldn't muster up the courage to watch the video. It feared it would incite varieties of emotion within me, so chose not to watch that.

49 minutes ago, Annoynymous said:

it was not a question of how "difficult" policing is, it's a question of how bad the policing is.

The two are related.

When you deal with assholes and criminals all day long for years on end, yeah, you can become callous and abusive.

@Leo Gura I don't exactly know why but in this particular case I can't have any compassion for the police officer, I only have bad feelings when watching him in that video.

Are you able to feel empathy/compassion for him? Do you judge him? What are you feeling watching that video?

Just curious about your POV on this.

The paradigm of American policing needs to change. 

Blacks in America are targeted more by cops and are subjected to more brutality than white counterparts. It isn't simply a cops vs civilian thing.

Right now, the paradigm is not to keep communities safe(as it should be), it is primarily to maintain "order" in practice. This manifests in brutality in many cases. 

And @Leo Gura  I don't think dealing with assholes all day is a valid excuse to be callous/abusive at all. When you are a cop, you are signing up to keep people safe. There needs to be a better standards and more accountability. 

Just now, louhad said:

And @Leo Gura  I don't think dealing with assholes all day is a valid excuse to be callous/abusive at all. When you are a cop, you are signing up to keep people safe. There needs to be a better standards and more accountability. 

But the challenge of policing lays in stopping these people, which involves difficult things like preventing police officers from becoming this way, and screening out the bad ones. It's not an excuse, the cop was in the wrong. It wasn't difficult for him to act better, it was difficult for the system to stop it.

Edit: I live in the suburbs of Minneapolis. This stuff is crazy. burning building and looting down there, 

Edited by Cocolove

That video was hard to watch. I had to turn it off. The policing in america needs reform and black people need to be helped more. 

Love life and your Health, INFJ Visionary

If cops didn't have privileges, no one would become a cop. I don't think it's easy to fix this problem. But of course that doesn't justify murder or any other injustice. It's a tough situation.

1 hour ago, LoveandPurpose said:

@Leo Gura

Are you able to feel empathy/compassion for him?

Of course. Compassion goes to everyone involved.

That doesn't excuse the cop from facing a jury trial by his peers.

And I have compassion for the protestors. I understand why they are protesting and why they are upset.

1 hour ago, louhad said:

The paradigm of American policing needs to change. 

Blacks in America are targeted more by cops and are subjected to more brutality than white counterparts. It isn't simply a cops vs civilian thing.

Of course systemic racism is tied in with all this.

It's not an excuse, it's just the nature of the beast.

1 hour ago, rlc said:

the democrats are ruining New York. It’s really bad. It shows the main problem with green. I’m all for equality and all that bullshit but the minority privileges around here are literally insane!!!!

lol

Edited by louhad

There is a large crowd amassing outside the white house. I really think there is a possibility that there could be a grass roots coup attempt. No way could the military fire on them if this occurs and not have a complete revolution break out. This is getting very real.