Annoynymous

The case of George Floyd: Is something like that a common phenomenon in America?

49 posts in this topic

@The observer

What you are describing is what I meant by some parties taking advantage. They enhance it and make it look bigger. The question is: Was there minor protests before all this you describing happened? Specifically in Tunisia? My point is, as soon as initial protests happened, different parties jump in on that. Be it US or some opposition etc. then things like you describe happen. You cannot generalize and say everybody was living in harmony. There is also minority groups like in every country or people who felt like this person setting himself on fire. Your point of view is valid, but it's only part of the whole picture. It's easier for the people to see a bigger evil in the US or the West than their government after all this happened. It's also obvious that the West tries to portray it like it was all genuine protests, overall it wasn't. But the initial protests were, don't you think?

I actually don't even know much about Arab Spring, and when you describe how it was, I was thinking "obviously". I don't need to know facts about it, to know how a party will influence these kind of things. That's why there is nothing "mastermind" about it, it's common sense.

My point was not to discuss details about the Arab Spring, but to compare the 2 cases and how they are similar, in the sense that it gives protesters an evident example what's wrong, which a lot of people will be touched by and join in.

@blowfish It's nothing like the Arab Spring. That's for sure. These aren't minorities that are against racism and corruption. A good 70% of the American population would vote against racism and corruption, obviously. And most of them would protest for it. The Arab Spring was something else entirely, at least in my country. Believe it or not.

44 minutes ago, The observer said:

@blowfish It's nothing like the Arab Spring. That's for sure. These aren't minorities that are against racism and corruption. A good 70% of the American population would vote against racism and corruption, obviously. And most of them would protest for it. The Arab Spring was something else entirely, at least in my country. Believe it or not.

Be aware of your reductionist argumentation, which has nothing to do with what I am saying.

Doesn't matter what it's portrayed as. What matters is what it has become and we all know it has become a "we vs. them" mob-mentality

- Enter your fear and you are free -

Wrote this on another post, but probably more relevant here - 

The problem is really a systemic one, relying on 2 factors 

One is that the police have a lot of power in terms of being able to kill, according to statistics, officers have only been charged 4 times in the last 10 years for murder despite them killing a thousend people every year. I understand anyone can be carrying guns so it's a shoot first ask questions later mentally, esp given that there's no repurcussions. It can lead to a power trip from the officers and is a good argument against guns being legal. 

Second is that there is a lot of racism overt and implicit in America. The stars are that if youre a black man you're around 3.5x more likely to get shot by a police officer than a white man. This has been an ongoing thing in America, which has improved but still lingers in the psyche of many Americans, both in victim and perpetrater modes. 

So when you team up the fact that a group of people are given a license to kill and that some of these people maybe extremely racist you have what is playing out now and what will play out until some real reforms and rethinking is carried out. 

Riots and looting are from people have had to watch many people who look like them be continually killed and treated mis fairly. Remember Kaepernick took a peaceful knee about a very similar issue and lost his career and was ostracised by many as being unpatriotic, so how should you protest, what will actually bring change? If nothing changes and you're crticised for peaceful protests when a person is murdered, then there aren't many options left

Some research if you're interested - https://www.pnas.org/content/116/34/16793

Edited by Consept

15 hours ago, Etherial Cat said:

Here is a great example of good policing

US vs scandinavian countries in a shell 

I am the only thing stopping myself from receiving infinite Love form Myself. I am Infinite Love for god sake.

On 5/30/2020 at 3:41 PM, rlc said:

u shouldn’t be worried about stop and frisk if you’ve got nothing to hide.

@Opo

On 5/30/2020 at 5:19 AM, rlc said:

Being a cop in NY has been getting scarier and scarier the last 10 years with everyone recording shit with phones to catch every little mistake to sue them. 

You shouldn't be worried about cameras if you've got nothing to hide... 

Sorry had to

This is not the first time a cop has suffocated someone on the ground:

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/investigations/2019/07/31/you-re-gonna-kill-me-dallas-police-body-cam-footage-reveals-the-final-minutes-of-tony-timpa-s-life/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Eric_Garner

And I could probably find more and just think what happens the times when someone isn't filming...

Those other 3 cops should be charged as well for accessory to murder and I found it hard to believe that spectators didn't try to stop them! I'd like to think that had I been a passerby and saw that that I would have told those cops that if I found out he was injured by their needless actions that I would be filing a complaint against each one and a lawsuit if possible, but that's easy to say here behind this screen.

The cops I usually meet are stupid, not always but often, couple that with power over others and this keeps happening, abuse in one form or another. Like others have said though, it's a tough job....the things they see warps them and rubs off on them, we all need to do better.

Did you read this one where George and the main killer worked together at a nightclub as security? WTF

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/29/us/derek-chauvin-george-floyd-worked-together.html