Maximo Casas

Idolizing Leo Gura

31 posts in this topic

I see a lot of people idolizing @Leo Gura. I see it in myself and I just freshly saw it on other Forum-people.

This reminds me of this "problem" a Zen Master has (as stated by Alan Watts) to properly evolve his students:

Student has to do what master says and learn and then in the last part the student needs to transcend the master.

The obvious problem is that the student starts to cling to his master.

Why do we build up this shit? Let's drop that now. Leo is just a person like you and me.

He ain't a fucking saint. He ain't the next Buddha, yet. We are not his "following" and we will not build a fucking church of nondualistic Gura-sophies.

There's NO cult to follow. There's no person to follow and there is no "you".

Kill that clinging before it lays eggs!

Maybe you: "How? It's easier said than done..." I got a cure for that:

The truth is: HE DOESN'T GIVE A SHIT ABOUT US DOING THIS IDOLIZING STUFF.

If we don't stop idolizing, it could be that we put ourselves in big trouble in the long run, when we have to transcend all "masters" we met on our path.

That's what "kill your buddhas" mean. It's ancient wisdom.

unborn Truth

@Maximo Casas I think that's just an inevitable part of this process. Leo provides the info but there is going to be some attachment when the info he gives us actually makes major changes. I'm not part of any other spiritual communities but i'm pretty sure Leo is handling this situation as well it can be possibly handled.

But it's a good thing for people to be aware of for sure.

@Maximo Casas

I agree with Marshall Rosenberg who says that the best way to relate to ppl is to empathize with them.  Thus, one does not rebel (kill) the loved one, nor does one idolize (obey) the loved one.  Both are violent, sacrificial, acts.

In Nonviolent Communication, one simply sees oneself in the loved one, and communicates this as being fully present and engaged with the loved one, in the Now.  One doesn't either criticize nor idolize, one simply communicates the reception of the other's spirit, to the other's satisfaction.  So that both experience the sense of being understood, and of understanding, accurately.

Nothing more and nothing less.

Spread fucking yourself.

Even tough Leo is the main source of my work today (last couple of months) and extremely helpful and Interesting for me, I try to watch, in addition, at least one video a day of another source too, like Aharon Doughty and Teal Swan.

Than actualized.org will also be understandable to you sharper and better when you come back to it.

You will never be able to understand Leo if you listen only to actualized.org because Leo understands what he understands because he spreads himself to many sources.

You have to go through many sources by yourself too, and than when you come back it will be a lot brighter.

Right now I am watching this super-great video:

Edited by Nivsch

🌻 Stage Yellow emerges when Green starts to have tolerance and respect to the variety of views within HIMSELF. Israelis here? Let me know!

@Maximo Casas that attitude doesn't help you, instead you will be on the opposite side of him, which is against him, it's OK to ideolize people it's not bad thing don't resist what comes in you, let it grow you will rip it when it's complete it's cycle. Leo is your potentiality, you are seeing yourself. It's your projection. 

@Maximo Casas

Do you see how the intensity of your proposition stimulates and equally intense "ego backlash"?

I'd suggest that the "real name of ego" is demonization or aggression or denigration.  Lacan, a famous psychoanalyst, called it "the defiles of the other."

My experience is that EVERYONE has something valuable to say, not because they're either "right" or "wrong," but because Everyone Is God in me.

So, yes, of course, you DO offer some good perspectives!

Thanks for sharing them!

We are all one spark, eyes full of wonder

“Take the lowest place, and you shall reach the highest.” 

“In the monastery of your heart, you have a temple where all Buddhas unite.” - Milarepa 

I used to, but meditation allowed me to be aware of that. I respect him and his work. You will be able to use actualized.org better if you don't idolize him and you will be a better leader for it.

It is hard to not idolize selfless and giving individual like Leo. He is putting out life transforming 4 hour videos for free with no ads, no clickbait, no BS.

Leo is unprecedented phenom. 

I am just saying what I think. We can say that I am idolizing him, but I don’t think so. 

Great post.

Digital Minimalism: A philosophy of technology use in which you focus your online time on a small number of carefully selected and optimized activities that strongly support things you value, and then happily miss out on everything else.” - Cal Newport

@Rasheed

11 minutes ago, Rasheed said:

It is hard to not idolize selfless and giving individual like Leo. He is putting out life transforming 4 hour videos for free with no ads, no clickbait, no BS.

Leo is unprecedented phenom. 

I am just saying what I think. We can say that I am idolizing him, but I don’t think so. 

Great post.

Unprecedented phenomenon!

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!

The question, for me, then becomes,

"how is Leo, ultimately, precedented, understandable, part of the warp and woof of a context and reality that I am ~ not yet ~ familiar with?"

How to own it, how to get familiar with it, how to make it an ordinary part of my ongoing dance with my universe?

12 minutes ago, skywords said:

"how is Leo, ultimately, precedented, understandable, part of the warp and woof of a context and reality that I am ~ not yet ~ familiar with?"

How to own it, how to get familiar with it, how to make it an ordinary part of my ongoing dance with my universe?

The path to Absolute Truth begins with meditation, contemplation, concentration and self inquiry techniques.   Do you practice meditation yet?  Self inquiry?   

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

@Inliytened1

I'm sorry, I didn't make myself clear.

I meant that Leo was a cultural phenomenon.

As for the content, I have always understood it IMMEDIATELY.

I came up in the 50's and 60's and am quite familiar with psychedelics, meditation, contemplation, etc.

I've been meditating rigorously for the last 50 years, actually.

THAT'S why I recognize him, as my eloquent self, so to speak.  

I just never expected to see it manifest so graphically.

Thank you for asking, Inliytened1!

:) 

@skywords 

I did not meant unprecedented phenom in that way, I meant:

Man is giving you unbelievable content for free. If you want to find this kind of knowledge on your own, probably 40 years of study...

Then people come and say, why his videos are so long. His one video is better than 20 years of any school and university education.

In my opinion, it's about implementing his practices. Since, Leo Gura is not religious preacher, everything he talks about comes from his direct experience, which means you can have exact same direct experience, to validate. 

Digital Minimalism: A philosophy of technology use in which you focus your online time on a small number of carefully selected and optimized activities that strongly support things you value, and then happily miss out on everything else.” - Cal Newport

8 minutes ago, skywords said:

@Inliytened1

I'm sorry, I didn't make myself clear.

I meant that Leo was a cultural phenomenon.

As for the content, I have always understood it IMMEDIATELY.

I came up in the 50's and 60's and am quite familiar with psychedelics, meditation, contemplation, etc.

I've been meditating rigorously for the last 50 years, actually.

THAT'S why I recognize him, as my eloquent self, so to speak.  

I just never expected to see it manifest so graphically.

Thank you for asking, Inliytened1!

:) 

Oh ok - then disregard my post on the other thread.  I didn't realize you already meditated.  Perhaps it can help someone though ??

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

Tbh I see more Leo backlash than Leo idolizing on the forum. People here seem pretty independent and willing to share novel advice to help others, rather than always citing Leo. Moreover, I actually see a lot of frustration and criticism of Leo, which I think is a good thing. The most idolizing I see is actually just people appreciating him, which I can dig because I appreciate him too. 

Interesting how one’s interpretation sets their reality.