JustThinkingAloud

Enough of theory

23 posts in this topic

I grew up without the internet. Every time I wanted to know something or do something new, I had to ask people around me or go to the library. That of course was never enough for me so in the end, I had to figure things out on my own by trying millions of different things till I hit it right.

So I’m just wondering about the new generation. There’s nearly unlimited information on the internet so how do they decide when they know enough to go and actually do things?

Edited by JustThinkingAloud
typo

I have an opinion on everything :D

That is the problem with too much information. It's too easy to just sit around and absorb information and act like it's making us better people. I'm part of this younger generation, and people my age know a lot but their embodiment of their knowledge is nothing. 

I got my first computer when I was 10 years old. Personally, this took me years to realize. That there is no information that is magically going to fix all my problems, and that I really have all the information I need to get going. I guess I just realised that I wasn't getting anywhere, despite having spent years looking for the magic pill.

I am myself, heaven and hell.

I think the trap that I most often fall into is blindly believing without actually deriving the answers for myself.

That’s why I want to start doing contemplation. Then I’ll stop blindly believing all the answers and start having the insights for myself. Thus I’d want to take action naturally. 

Also the learning = behavior change video was quite a wakeup call to me.

@JustThinkingAloud looks can be deceiving. i think the newer generation is more action taking but are their actions purposeful?

careful not to confuse one's own limitations as a majority.

BTW

my personal transition from theory to action began once i realized its limits. like a toddler, ppl figure it out. its human nature to grow to learn blah blah

3 hours ago, JustThinkingAloud said:

I grew up without the internet.

Me too!

I am from the era when we actually went outside and played! Hehe

Didn't have a computer until I was in my 30's.

I don't know how I survived without internet and cellphones. Seems impossible now, especially since all the pay phones are now gone, lol.xD

“You don’t have problems; you are the problem.”

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

3 hours ago, JustThinkingAloud said:

I grew up without the internet.

I grew up with Atari 2600. o.O

Just now, Inliytened1 said:

@Anna1 only us two not you!

Aww, well, um, I was born 1970 ?

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

Just now, Inliytened1 said:

@Anna1 same here.  So we are both still babies 

?

Nice!?

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

@JustThinkingAloud I think that as soon as one knows a thing, they can go and do it. It's not someone reaches a point of knowing a certain amount and then they're like "ok I'm ready." Actually I think that for someone self-actualizing what will happen is they will get so sick of consuming information that they will start to take action. As the consumption of information can become a sort of addiction. 

"You Create Magic" 

7 hours ago, Anna1 said:

Aww, well, um, I was born 1970 ?

Clearly, you are a vampire.

When did you become one, in 1995? It seems that's when you stopped aging, haha

xD

I never really thought of any source other than myself as an alternative for deriving answers, at least not consciously. I used to be a stage Blue fundamentalist, but never really gave authority so easily, even while being religious I was always skeptical and I would try to look for convenient beliefs with "reasonable/logical proofs". The point is that I never fell for the trap of losing my own authority, I always had it, but I used to force myself to give it away. I always knew that no information was needed whatsoever. Now I know that no amount of information will ever be near from enough. Now I know that I don't know, that I will never know, and that I need to always learn. So, I guess I'm at the best place one can ever be, and I'm really grateful for this. (Lost the point again). The point is that I always rely on my direct experience (or whatever I think it is), not on the theory I learn. To me, practice comes first, and then the theory.

Edited by Lento

1 hour ago, Dumuzzi said:

Clearly, you are a vampire.

When did you become one, in 1995? It seems that's when you stopped aging, haha

xD

Hahaha, good one!?

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

@JustThinkingAloud I have found it useful over the years to oscillate back and forth between activity and discussion. I've used forums to do this and upgrade, tweak my understanding. Action happens anyway whether it's deliberate or not, you cannot not talk about something and it be separate from your behaviour . I've changed a lot over the years by talking and then forgetting about it consciously (taking a break from the work) and then returning to it much later. I found that it definately sinks in. I feel like I'm now mastering stuff I learned in theory like 10 years ago.

It's not as clean cut as you say.