Actualizer777

How to deal with too much free time? (Constantly Stressed)

19 posts in this topic

Hey Actualizers,

I know this questions sounds like the epidemy of first world problems. But I really don't know what to do.

The problem is that right now I am in the phase where I am done with high school but have to wait 7 months for college (there is no other possibility). I don't want to go get a job, since I am going to study at college in October and I earn some passive income from my side hustles. What bothers me is literally that I have too much free time. I don't know what to do with it. And this stresses me. Because right now I have the opportunity to use those 7 months where I have no obligations at all and I don't want to waste it.

I am already doing some things like reading a lot, sports, meditation, Toastmasters, meeting friends, girlfriend and so on. But still I have so much fucking time left over and I not only feel bored but meaningless. Because I don't know what to do. I don't want to work on my stuff for 24 hours a day. I want to feel like I am doing something meaningful.

A lot of people tell me to just relax, have a good time and enjoy the freedom. But for me just watching Netflix and chilling all day is like torture.

Do you have any advice? What could be a solution here? Is it a time problem or a mind problem? Am I demanding too much from myself? Or should I push my comfort-zone and get into completely new stuff?

I don't want to have the feeling that I wasted those 7 months...

It feels like you are lacking a mastery path. So, maybe you want to start working through the "Life Purpose" course?

What a dream, what a joke, love it   :x

Depends greatly on the influence in the environment you live. If you have not awakened to a certain minimum, then life is a drag and is not your fault. Change where you live if you want to stay on the same consciousness level of being and be productive. 

... 7 rabbits will live forever.                                                                                                                                                                                                  

dude, same i just finished high school and in 7 months ill be in university 

Ahh, the great summers of High School and University! 

Sounds like you're doing quite a lot to be fair. I would recommend working through the Life Purpose course if you haven't done that. It's perfect timing for you. I've been procrastinating on the course and getting stuck here and there because of my Uni work taking up a lot of time. However, won't be long till I'm finishing up my final year. I'll be using that time to complete the course.

Use this summer and do the LP course if you haven't yet! Also, you could easily get a part-time job for a bit of extra money. Doesn't have to be too much, maybe a few days a week? 

Stop looking for the problems and start looking for solutions.

@Actualizer777

Go on a retreat.

Or simply, just limit your daily activities, and replace them with spiritual practices.

I like walking, so there I meditate, sometimes for 5 hours straight.

Also, stop thinking of your free time as an opportunity, that's the ego, and it's easily bored or angered.

Instead, try to become present all the time, especially when you're doing dumb activities like eating and drinking and showering, etc.., do everything at a slower pace and give more attention to everything around you. Enjoy the beauty of reality.

I would also ask myself : why do I want to grow? What am I running away from? What are the benefits? What are the motives? What is the worst possible thing that could happen if I waste this much time?

Or, forget about everything and go back to normal if your life is going well. Treat yourself and others with more love and compassion.

Enjoy your life man, do whatever you feel like doing.

Edited by Truth Addict

@Actualizer777  Do you have other activities to chill besides watching netflix?

You could do something creative in this free time of yours! I don't know what you like, maybe draw something, or do a vlog, or start writing in a journal. I don't know man, you choose what makes you feel better.

On 2/22/2019 at 10:02 PM, Actualizer777 said:

Do you have any advice? What could be a solution here? Is it a time problem or a mind problem? Am I demanding too much from myself? Or should I push my comfort-zone and get into completely new stuff?

I don't want to have the feeling that I wasted those 7 months...

It could be both a time problem and a mind problem!

Try first to fill your time with one activity that you enjoy alot. It is good to do a little bit every day. Otherwise you'll burn out! It is a mind problem if you expect to fill every minute and second of these 7 months , and thinking constantly about how much time you have left, because you are always thinking in the future, you know what I mean? Do not expect to do something meaningful non-stop.

So, if you're thinking like that, it is best to stay in the present and enjoy filling your time with one more thing you like. If you still have time, then rest your mind. You can even enjoy doing nothing! Time in which you are present is not time wasted. Time in which you enjoy things is not time wasted.

As long as you have a path, you're already going in the right direction! Good luck!

On the side of doing more, love yourself more. How this helps is that, if you allow yourself to indulge a bit more, you will find it more bearable to not have that clarity you uphold all the time. This way you might become a bit less aware temporarily, but loving yourself will allow yourself to have balance to look at those clearer things too. Just my 2 cents, might be immature advice xD

I would say what works for me is have a routine. It doesn't have to be super elaborate. Infact keep it more simple anand build on it. Start a morning routine and a night routine. Wake up and for the first hour or two do some stretching, exercises and some meditation/yoga/breathing then perhaps make a to do list for the the day. At night turn your screen off one hour before bed, take a shower,  read/journal under candle light, then sleep. This sort of morning and night routine can be very powerful. Make sure to wake up the same time every day and go to bed as well. Right now I'm doing well on the weekdays with this but I can't seem to carry it into the weekend so I'm going to tweak it and allow for one late night of partying. 

Having lots of free time is NOT a bad thing at all.

Most people's problems occur from not having enough free time at all.

You just need a couple of hours a day to meditate/do yoga/exercise/journal.

• Pack all the stuff you need into a backpack and go travel :) 
  • Pick a cause and go work for charity to gain experience
  • Visit your grandma and ask her about family history
  • Learn a skill 
  • Do a meditation retreat
  • Plant a tree
  • Walk the Pacific Trail
  • Create art

What would you like to do, that might be hard to do once you have a job or kids? You can do a big thing (like traveling or picking up a job you don't envision as your career, but would like to try), or a bunch of small things (getting to know relatives, meditation retreat, organizing events, playing an instrument, learning to cook a meal every week, etc. ). 

You're a lucky guy, 7 months could be invaluable to you! 10 ideas off the top of my head:

-Travel

-30 day meditation retreat

-Start learning a new language

-Start a daily contemplation journal (also watch high quality shows, documentaries and movies and contemplate them)

-Study how things are built, how a house is built, how a computer is built, how a car is built, how a plane is built, etc.

-Read holy texts and meditate on them (even if you're not religious, the Bible is still worth reading for scholarly purposes)

-Read one book a week and take notes while you read it

-Start studying school subjects again, but in a deeper and personal way, things like science, mathematics, history and english, are deeper and more exciting than most have gotten the impression of from school

-Create a large art project (novel, music album, painting collection), and complete it over the next 6-7 months

-Exercise, get in good shape, etc.

There's probably more but that should give you a start, have a great Summer!

PS: Do you have a life purpose? Spending this time pursuing that would probably be the most valuable choice of all

Edited by EternalForest

Being stressed because you have unscheduled time truly does seem like the epitome and epidemy of first world problems. I pity the fool who is bored with himself yet has the freedom to do whatever he wants!

I can understand though that other people who tend to have a Type A go-go-go personality, who tend to be more successful in business and education, feel like they don't know what to do with themselves when there is downtime. Like you need to feel like you are progressing towards goals.

My suggestion would be to fill your days with recreational activities and learning... go on long walks, play sports, take yoga and dance classes, read lots of books, watch lots of youtube videos. Perhaps carefully choose 50 books that interest you, and take the time to thoroughly digest the content, you will miss discretionary reading once the semester starts. This way you are building good habits and discipline, so that when you do resume school, you can easily transition to mastering the material, and also balance studying with taking care of your physical body and staying active.

OK, my approach is not that spiritual :) First thing that comes to my mind is I would play Red Dead Redemption 2 or any other awesome video game that takes ages to finish, because  that is what I did when I was a student and had lots of free time. I played a lot of video games - no regrets. I did try to read books or do something productive and meaningful, but sometimes this just burnt me out. I do not personally feel that entertainment and all other "chimp"-fun behaviours are a waste of free time. Ever since I started to work and got in a relationship I never had that much free time in my life again. But if that bores you to death or sounds low-level, you can embark on a little adventure and travel by hitchhiking. Even better, and this what I also did when i was a student and had lots of free time, I volunteered with a non-profit organisation that helped injured wildlife. This way you can grow personally and spiritually not only by consuming relevant content, but by actually getting out there and making a difference to others. Volunteering is very fulfilling, very real and the experience of a lifetime.

I usually start up learning a language cause languages are my passion. Now I study italian in Italy and it's so amazing over there to be able immidiately practise new words in the streets after you have classes. I also love reading and reading in a new language brings me so much joy!

Don't wait for college until you can do something useful.

Because you are free now, you can explore your life purpose and do a lot of personal development.

If you used your free time properly, you might even conclude that college is not worth your time and energy.

Edited by CreamCat

@Actualizer777 It sounds like you are oriented toward seeking external entertainment and pleasure for the mind-body. Your internal world is as vast as your external world. Perhaps balance the seeking energy between introspective and extrospective.