LoveandPurpose

what's a sign you're taking life too seriously?

21 posts in this topic

Over seriousness is something I see pop up in my life regularly. A few signs:

Someone casually mentions to me to “loose up” and I get worked up because I’m such an easy-going guy. Can’t they see that? ?

I go a few days without being silly or playful.

During a “conversation”, the person asks if we can take a break for a bit (after I’ve been over-analyzing for like an hour).

Someone says to me “we don’t need to figure it out, I just wanted to share my experience with you”.

Getting all serious about why I’m so serious.

I’m with a group of people that spontaneously break out in laughter and I’m the only one who didn’t get it. . . 

You always think of what will go wrong and can't have fun.

Having fun is seen as being childish and stupid.

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

1.) When your whole body feels tight and you can remember the last time you were actually relaxed

2.) When you can't remember the last time you had a hard belly laugh was

3.) When you can't be the first one to give a compliment

4.) When you judge everything someone says before hearing them out

5.) When you don't give people the benefit of the doubt

@Serotoninluv that being said, the other side of the coin is feeling the need to fit in and laugh with everyone else is itself a sign you're taking life too seriously. For example, my sense of humor has little overlap with most people's, so I'm just not going to find jokes funny. And that's OK!! ?

"The greatest illusion of all is the illusion of separation." - Guru Pathik

Sent from my iEgo

Thinking that stuff really matters.

Thinking that you matter - in the grand scheme of everything.

I've posted a post some time ago now titled "there is no you required". You see, life happens the way it does no matter whether there is a you  involved or not. I don't know if you get what I mean by that, but my advice to you is to take yourself more and more out of the equation of life:) 

Think of it in the analogy of the rower and the sailor. Both will get where they want to in the end but the difference between them is that the rower completely exhausted himself in trying to take control over the boat the whole time whereas the sailor simply let his boat flow

Surely the importance for balance has to be accentuated, as for any undergoing in life, but I think you get the point. 

Be the sailor when things are getting too tight and rigid - and be the rower when there is more need for clear definition and direction. 

Edit: The true art, though, is to simultaneously be neither one of them. (That's coming back to the point of taking yourself out of the equation)

Edited by DocHoliday
Reason for edit: typos and stuff

Hey, what's up! This is Jack R. Hayes, I'm an author, currently living in Germany. Thus far, I've written two books, both in English and German; one's called "User's Manual for Human Beings", and the other one's called "The Wisdom Espresso". If you'd like to check out my work, visit me at  https://jackrhayes.de  or go to Amazon and search for my name. I'd be happy to see you there!

@TheAvatarState For sure, that’s happened to me too. I’m referring more to the times I’m trapoed in my head analyzing things and I “miss” the humor around me. I didn’t even hear and process it. Yet, I’m too embarrassed to say “huh? What happened?”

• Worry
  • Anxiety
  • Seriousness (sharp stern face)
  • Tight muscles/body
  • Not 'seeing' humour
  • No laughing
  • Sleepless nights
  • Inability to calm the mind
  • Rapid weight gain/loss
  • Stress

The list goes on.

4 hours ago, LoveandPurpose said:

what do you think?

Most ppl do, including myself of course.

I like this quote:

"If you propose to speak, always ask yourself 'is it true; is it necessary; is it kind?" -Buddha

If we take more time to remain silent, we could be more aware of the problems and solutions. We could do a little research and know where to go next for the solutions.

33 minutes ago, Key Elements said:

Most ppl do, including myself of course.

I like this quote:

"If you propose to speak, always ask yourself 'is it true; is it necessary; is it kind?" -Buddha

I tend to only make jokes since I read this quote.

?

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

Frowning too much. Not laughing. Overthinking. Panicking. 

Just remember: taking life too seriously is bad, but taking life too playful is also bad. If you try too hard to be "funny", stress-free etc., it's inauthentic and does not work. There are situations that are stressful and you can't fake your way into being relaxed about it. 

My strategy for stress-relief is doing something that naturally gives me pleasure. For example, hanging out with a close friend, going to a soccer match, going to the movies, etc. Psychedelics can also help with that, btw. 

I think the key point is finding something that takes me out of your mind and makes me forget about my problems for a while. As Matt Kahn puts it, it's like a mini-vacation from worrying. 

Edited by Gabriel Antonio

1 hour ago, Shin said:

I tend to only make jokes since I read this quote.

?

Why? You don't agree?

Talking unnecessarily is unfulfilling in the long run. You'll be like, "Oops, I wasn't open-minded enough to do this."

Too much attention on making money and career and not enough attention on creating good health for yourself and keeping your stress levels low.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

@Shin do comedy as part of your life purpose. Then, you'll have a good reason to talk and joke a lot.

If life is going to shit and you aren't able to look around and laugh at the ridiculousness of it all.  Not being able to laugh at your own misfortunes in life.

Being broke but still buying purely organic foods.  "I gotta be healthy!  Even if I'm broke and living on the street."

Not remembering the last time you appreciated the beauty of anything in life: nature, light, a smile, etc.

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

15 minutes ago, Matt23 said:

Being broke but still buying purely organic foods.  "I gotta be healthy!  Even if I'm broke and living on the street."

Were you ever in such a situation? Because I posted something here.

Then, here is a different way of life.

It's a matter of how you adjust and go with the flow. It's easier said than done.

@LoveandPurpose For me, being overly attached to the outcome. And just over thinking in general.

Earlier today I was totally over thinking about something that had just happened until I caught myself-- what a waste to worry about stuff I have zero control over he he.