Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Violinpracticerdude

When Did You Give Up Rationality and Why?

22 posts in this topic

As I rationalist I see that most people on here aren't rationalists but many used to be. What caused you to feel that rationalist isn't correct?

When I heard the learn’d astronomer, 

When the proofs, the figures, were ranged in columns before me, 

When I was shown the charts and diagrams, to add, divide, and measure them, 

When I sitting heard the astronomer where he lectured with much applause in the lecture-room, 

How soon unaccountable I became tired and sick, 

Till rising and gliding out I wander’d off by myself, 

In the mystical moist night-air, and from time to time, 

Look’d up in perfect silence at the stars.

Dont look at me! Look inside!

You don't give up rationality.  You don't give up anything.  You still have some work to do to see through the illusion of the Egoic self.

Contemplate these:

1. Does Experience need a controller?
  2. Does Thought need a controller?
  3. What is controlling Experience?
  4. What is controlling Thought?
Edited by Joseph Maynor

Rationality is based on pattern based thinking with rules. Thats what "reason" seems to be at its core. And so rationality is conforming to reason or such rulesets.

So as SoonHei put it, its entirely relative.

The conclusions people come to here are actually using rationality to contemplate things.

To say if the separating of things is something you artificially create the result must be that there is no actual separation. All is one. This is using rational thinking to come to such conclusions.

A better application is to contemplate what rationality is and even reason down to its core.

Spirituality is a paradoxical evolution, ultimately your rationality should fuse with the irrational, that is to shed the light on what seems irrational

To abandon rationality to dive in a ocean of chaos is reckless, unconscious behaviour

Both rationality and acceptable portions of mysticism should heighten and feed off each other 

Thats my opinion

Stellars interact with Terrans from ÓB (Earth’s Low Orbit).!

When you see your grillfriend as yourself for several seconds.

Rationality in the toilet since then xD

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

@Violinpracticerdude Reason separates you from what's real. It's a nice tool to have but when you start to see the limitations of it your whole world view starts to change.

Here is something that is true:

The tree is not a tree, it just is.

Is it logically correct?

30 minutes ago, WelcometoReality said:

@Violinpracticerdude Reason separates you from what's real. It's a nice tool to have but when you start to see the limitations of it your whole world view starts to change.

Here is something that is true:

The tree is not a tree, it just is.

Is it logically correct?

You're clearly delusional, the words are the same !

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

1 hour ago, Shin said:

When you see your grillfriend as yourself for several seconds.

Rationality in the toilet since then xD

DUDE

This has happened to me several times. It really trips me out.

How would the ”me” give up something it never had in the first place dudes? Or did we give up irrationality? 

Even the words and their nonexistence need a conscious mind to become true: to more than circular unproofing of their existing at all.

This is one of the easiest ones (example) you can determine (in my self exp.)

"I am".

Give up rationalism? But thats not a rational thing to do! What are you on about... 

When I see the limitations of rationalism, in which the "other side" gave me such lot's of wisdom and removed the limitation of rationalism too, for my experience. Now I can see more greater picture and my understanding of world is more wider than ever.

Gödel's Incompleteness Theorem is a really convincing argument of the limits of rationality. 

Also it makes no rational sense to me that there is something rather than nothing.  It would seem to me that there should be nothing, and yet here we are.

Also it makes no rational sense to me that I'm me rather than someone else.  And yet here I am.

Also we don't actually make any purely rational decisions... we are driven by our emotions.

Rationality relies on unproven axioms.  How do we know we are being rationally rational. 

Rationality is a human mental construct.  How do we know that we are indeed being "truly, universally rational".  And how do we know that Reality is rational? (it isn't).  For all we know there are aspects of reality we are entirely blind to that we would see as completely irrational.  Maybe that's why we're blind to them.

Art.

“Curiosity killed the cat.”