Luna

Fear of being old and senile.

27 posts in this topic

lately, I've been spending time with my grandparents and I had a particular conversation with my grandma about being old, senile, unable to help yourself and do basic stuff without needing help from others and it terrified me 

is it natural to have this fear, I've been thinking about it day and night I know I'm only 20 and I have a long way ahead but it's inevitable and if you do get these thoughts what do you do about them. 

6 minutes ago, Luna said:

lately, I've been spending time with my grandparents and I had a particular conversation with my grandma about being old, senile, unable to help yourself and do basic stuff without needing help from others and it terrified me 

is it natural to have this fear, I've been thinking about it day and night I know I'm only 20 and I have a long way ahead but it's inevitable and if you do get these thoughts what do you do about them. 

I think your ultimate goal should be to awaken from this life. The illusion of a "you" which gets old. If the illusionary "you" died, all the rest will be in place

@Luna

Interested question...I now realized that I have that fear too and Im 30 years old. My Grandpa and Grand mother are 75 years, overweight, hardly walking and senile.

I Exercise and try to have clean dient. Basicly keep my health fine so when I will be in my 70s, my mental and fyzical state be ok.

The past as “the thinker”, is the breeder of this conflict/fear. 

The past, (the image) anticipates the future. That image is in constant resistance to the inevitability of change. 

The old, (self image), clings to familiarity (what has been), and this process of identification (implicitly implying clinging to the old), perpetuates that illusion. What seems to take place is a sequence of events as “the i”. This reinforces the illusion of i that moves psychologically from A TO B in and as time.  

As long as this movement of psychological time is not seen through there must be conflict/fear. 

Edited by Faceless

2 hours ago, Luna said:

I know I'm only 20 and I have a long way ahead 

Yes, you're right. You are young and have a long way ahead. My recommendation is just focus on the now and also on your interests and develop these into a career/life purpose eventually. Take Maslow's diagram into consideration. It's a great guide. I find it accurate. Whatever you hear that's wonderful, take that into consideration, but try not to be obsessed with it. Of course, let go of the negatives too.

@Luna Its not really about overcoming the fear of death/getting old and senile but more like being able to source motivation from the realization that you have LIMITED TIME on this earth.

Edited by Rinne

Tap in your own being and you will be able to reverse that you are afraid. 

... 7 rabbits will live forever.                                                                                                                                                                                                  

1 hour ago, Luna said:

I will check it out. although I'm not really scared of death

Are you not?

I am in my 20's too but I don't think death is a "long way ahead" anymore.

I won't go into details but I almost died last year.

We could have died today. We could have died last week or last month. But instead, we are breathing. It's beautiful. Another day is experienced.

Fear of death becomes more powerful in our subconscious mind when we think death is "far away" into the future.

Thinking "death is for old people" or "death is far away" makes us take life for granted. It makes death this scary monster at the end that will come for us. Versus something that can happen to anyone at any moment regardless of age - which is actually closer to reality.

The thought "I could have died 5 seconds ago. But instead, I am still here, breathing, healthy, alive , able to experience more."

The replacement of fear with gratitude and wonder.

Edited by Brittany

Sell your soul to KEK and you will never have such worries.

11 hours ago, Luna said:

being old, senile, unable to help yourself and do basic stuff without needing help from others

It does not have to be that way. That's the way of lazy sheep.

That happens to people because they never do personal development.

Senility is not just some random affliction. It is caused by things like improper diet, improper use of one's mind and body, and improper lifestyle.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

TJ Reeves advocated becoming an athlete. Perhaps, being an athlete will help you avoid physical pains of senility.

27 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

It does not have to be that way. That's the way of lazy sheep.

That happens to people because they never do personal development.

Senility is not just some random affliction. It is caused by things like improper diet, improper use of one's mind and body, and improper lifestyle.

You can postpone when senility occurs through much better ways of living, but it does not stop it from happening. You will eventually find the body no longer as capable as it was until the brain completely shuts down. Unless you've found the solution to living forever?

I for one am for euthanasia for when senility happens. 

@Shadowraix Not everyone becomes senile, my grandpa was as clear as a 20 year old until he died at 80. How he did it i dont know, guess he ate fairly healthy.

Dont look at me! Look inside!

I don't think you will be energetic when you become 109 years old. At 109 years old, it's lucky to be able to walk on two legs without assistance.