Leo Gura

Kriya Yoga Mega-Thread

2,126 posts in this topic

Im having problem with uddiyana banda while having air in the lungs, anyone that have some technique tip?

Paan, The best I can do is tell you what Ennio Nimis says.  According to the Ennio Nimis book:

Uddiyana Bandha

Abdominal lock: it is usually practiced with breath out but

in Kriya it is also utilized with breath in especially during the practice of the

main Kriya Mudras: Maha Mudra, Navi Kriya and Yoni Mudra.

To practice it with breath out, utilize, at least partly, Jalandhara Bandha.

Take a false inhalation (perform the same action of an inhalation without actually

pulling any air into the body.) Draw the belly up as much as possible. Hold your

breath out. To practice it with breath in, contract slightly

the abdominal muscles

until you intensify the perception of the energy in the spinal column in the region

of Manipura Chakra.

I hope this helps.

~Jim

I want a quick answer... is it ...or it isn't okay to yoga if you are not feeling well? Anytime if i do yoga i will have a fever after that.. i am sure I don't have yet fever but it all started a little awhile ago when i woke up my bed has a poop on itmy stomach is not well.. later today i feel that am not feeling well but i want to yoga, but if i do my body limitation makes me suffer ??I don't know

There is no reason Kriya Yoga should cause that.  If it was me, I would continue the yoga but see a doctor.  It sounds like you have some other health problem.

~Jim

On 9/18/2018 at 8:24 AM, John Iverson said:

I want a quick answer... is it ...or it isn't okay to yoga if you are not feeling well? Anytime if i do yoga i will have a fever after that.. i am sure I don't have yet fever but it all started a little awhile ago when i woke up my bed has a poop on itmy stomach is not well.. later today i feel that am not feeling well but i want to yoga, but if i do my body limitation makes me suffer ??I don't know

If your illness happens regularly after you have done kriya, I would stop the practice, recover and start doing preparatory practice. In Hatha Yoga Pradipika, for example, it is said that the human energy system should be prepared with asanas and various purification techniques before starting pranayama. The analogy given by the book is that without preparation if your nadis are very blocked and weak, pranayama would be like pouring acid into plastic tubes - the tubes would melt. Based on this, it could be possible that your system is not ready for pranayama yet. The purpose of asanas is not having a nice stretch but to stimulate the nadis and help them clear.  

Personally, I stopped kriya because I got insomnia. Now I am doing asanas, meditation, and talabya kriya. My goal is to strengthen my system while continuing to stretch my tongue. Later I'll start adding the other practices back while carefully monitoring my wellbeing. 

On 9/18/2018 at 7:24 AM, John Iverson said:

@John Iverson What type of Kriya Pranayama do you do? The one from SantataGamana's book?

I do the one from Gamana and I think it is important to take the advice to not force the breathing but start naturally and eventually it will be put into place.

Ennio's book is tremendous I think. If you liked Gamana there is a further and more detailed explanation in the third part of his book (Gamana's Kriya Pranayama is Sri Mukherjee's btw) about this specific type of Pranayama. It says not to force your breathing because by doing that, while having energy blocks, it can create problems in the body. So my advice would be to heal (you shouldn't do Kriya if you are not feeling well, period) and just follow Gamana's version letter by letter.

I tend to force my breath and shrugg my shoulders while doing pranayama. To just get the last breath in. I try not to and just keep my body fully relaxed while inhaling/exhaling

Here's my two cents: having your tongue touch the fleshy mound behind your upper teeth helps completing the head's energy circuit. I also have my thumbs touch my index finger, with the palms out. Although interlacing the fingers while having the thumbs touch seems to produce the same effect.

There is a voice that doesn't use words. Listen! - Rumi

Has kriya yoga affected your concentration skills? I have had really much trouble with different meditation techniques because of concentration issues (basically self caused ADD; internet addiction). All of my vipassana retreats have been just a waste of time because I'm thinking ALL THE TIME. I think even ayahuasca didn't quite do anything to me because of this constant mind chatter which makes me uneasy, thus wasn't able to relax.

So, do you think kriya yoga would be suitable for me?

1 hour ago, YoYoYo said:

Has kriya yoga affected your concentration skills? I have had really much trouble with different meditation techniques because of concentration issues (basically self caused ADD; internet addiction). All of my vipassana retreats have been just a waste of time because I'm thinking ALL THE TIME. I think even ayahuasca didn't quite do anything to me because of this constant mind chatter which makes me uneasy, thus wasn't able to relax.

So, do you think kriya yoga would be suitable for me?

Maybe. But I don't think a specific teaching is gonna magically solve your problem. Concentration is not easy to build (for most of us) so the best is to keep concentrating on whatever method you find most enjoyable. But yeah Kriya is excellent for concentration, if you stick with it. I'm going to my 4th Vipassana retreat in November, started this journey 2 years ago and I am struggling with concentration as well. It takes time.

Thank you for reply @Esoteric :) It sure takes time to build up concentration. Right now my meditation is based on do nothing technique where awareness is allowed to float freely but I've come to think if kriya yoga would suit me better. I'll have to think about this.

How many LESSONS do I have to learn in order for my Kriya practice to be sufficient?

Do I need to go through the entire JC Stevens book?

@joeyi99 Why do you ask?

Try it yourself, go with the lessons and find out when you are satisfied with your practice. When you stop seeing improvement, then read some more, and so on...

Everything is explained in the book.

Been at it daily over a month so far.

3x Maha Mudra

24x Kriya Pranayama

1x Yoni Mudra

Have noticed nothing so far, but i got a bit more flexible from the Maha Mudra which is nice.

I had one very weird lucid dream but I dont know if its related to kriya.

But its more fun to me than meditation so ill keep doing it.

Edited by MM1988

On 9/20/2018 at 3:26 PM, Paan said:

I tend to force my breath and shrugg my shoulders while doing pranayama. To just get the last breath in. I try not to and just keep my body fully relaxed while inhaling/exhaling

Just to make sure i got this right, your forcing of breath seems to be during rechaka ( out-breath ) and then the upward turn goes fast ? is so then can you mention the exact point where you have the need to 'force'  ?

If the forcing happen after nabi-stala - zone somewhere in the domain of manipuraka and shrugging happens at the ending part of rechaka ( outbreath/exhale)  - and then the 'upward turn' into inhale is 'uncontrollable and involuntary' - which is what i intuitively sense - if this is true, then your shukra is weak... and ojas is depleted. shukra - potential has to be built.

remember chakra is not physical and neither does it have anything to do with organs/glands that it 'happens' to influence. however, the awareness and 'yield' of this depends on ones ability to retain 'I'.

the fuel tank for this is ojas. if regularly shukra/semen is lost either in form of actual semen, or  in form of obsessive discussions or in any other form of unnatural 'conflict' in the body-mind , then the 'vitae' does not 'travel' in the orbit of visibility of the 'I'.

my teacher once told me,  - yatho chitara - vyomam tata-tatapi madhye chakrastitah - and when my sister asked him what is vyomam which in center has the chakras, he said, it is not in center, but in its abode. as it is all manifested in pra-nada (unmanifest) - the chakra has no location in space, nor can be measured in time-lapses. 

hence, the way to do it, is by prana/force/vitae and that needs the 'I' in your to be continuous.

bless you.

Edited by Sadhak_David

I have noticed that the harder and more diligent I am at my Kriya practices, the more pissed of I get.  The littlest things make me want to blow my top.  I'm not sure what to do about it, but I don't want to slow down.  I want to move forward no matter what.  Does anyone have any ideas on how to "diffuse the bomb"?

What do your routines look like and how long does it take?

My current routine looks something like

Mahamudra x 3

Kriya Pranayama 1 X 12

Kriya Pranayama 2 X 12

Yoni Mudra x 3

Supreme Fire x 3

As i progress should i still keep doing Kriya pranayama or just do more of pranayama 2?

Also should i do any of the chakra techniques?

You guys should check out manoj the yogi. He has excellent tutorials for difficult breathing techniques like Ujai pranayama:

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

hey, everyone, I'm new to this thread.  I'm going to switch up my kriya practice to this below. (this practice is from the Santata Gamana book)  I had been following the jp stevens book for a few months but i came across a technique that I messed up on and i didn't get what the instructions were saying and i was super busy so i didn't have a lot of time to sit down and figure out what it was saying but i have read 2 of the santata gamana books over the past week and I'm going to use these techniques below for my new practice and i have a question about it. 

my new practice is going to be 

3x Maha Mudras

36x Kriya Supreme Pranayamas

3x Yoni Kriyas

3x Kriya Supreme fires

10 mins of witnessing the breath

It says that I have to do this practice twice a day preferably in the morning and the evening. but i like to do my whole spiritual practice all at once. My plan was to do 30mins of this Kriya practice and then do 1hr of meditation and then do 30 minutes again of this practice.  does anyone think that 1 hour is too short to do this practice again or do peeps think it would be an alright plan or do people think i should just follow the instructions and do this practice split by one in the morning and one in the evening? 

Edited by Tom T