Joseph Maynor

What's Wrong With Meditating Laying Down In Bed?

38 posts in this topic

Buddha insisted on calling his way the middle way.
Lying down you relax to much, stand up and you can´t relax enough.
Don´t focus on your breath to hard and don´t let your mind wander - Relax your attention.

Experience any perspective on your own. I did it as well. According to my experience, energy flows in different way when you're upright and many kind of healing occurs. Laying down is also good for some scenarios. For my experience, It is best when I have absolute no energy or have terrible back pain to stand upright. It is all up to you. Experiment on your own all I say.

@Joseph Maynor

This is great for people with a healthy energy. Us drowsy folks fall asleep easily when lying down, so sitting is a way to stay alert. 

The best method for me is sitting very comfortably on a nice sofa, or a good office chair.

Edited by Anton Rogachevski

Meditate whatever resonates with you best. 

Meditation sitting for me is painful. Scoliosis doesn't make it any better. So I lay down as well. 

You can do whatever you like, the problem with laying down is for most people it tells the body that you're trying to sleep so for a lot of people they going to either end up napping or going way to unconscious (think of how you feel after a big unhealthy dinner). 

I tried it a few times it was great, until I realised I was actually napping. 

As long as you feel really conscious and aware of existence it's all good, maybe you don't get that sleepiness most people do. 

Better on the carpet or a rug, so the spine can lengthen and decompress against a straight surface. I've never been able to fall asleep on my back, only lying on the side.

14 hours ago, Average Investor said:

I love it while laying down

That's what she said

@Joseph Maynor great topic.

You are correct.  One can have enlightenent experiences in any physical position.  It actually comes when it wants to.  I meditate prone as well but only when I'm sore or don't have the energy to sit up.  I enjoy the act of meditation better in an upright position - its something about the blood flow that makes me feel more present.

That said when i became enlightened i had multiple experiences after the initial while prone...in fact it made no difference.  I even had one sitting in my arm chair.

So it makes no difference.  The problem is after you become enlightened.  Then the ego shuts the shit down because your very survival hinges on it.

But that is another matter.  Ha.

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

It's tricky.   Lying down can make you sleepy, but sitting formally can strengthen/reinforce the sense of a "meditator" or "I," as you exert the will/effort/intent to maintain the correct posture.  "Doing nothing" becomes doing something.

1 hour ago, robdl said:

"Doing nothing" becomes doing something.

As the Sanskrit meaning for meditation is to be free of all measure, to be free of all comparison, free of all becoming.

Edited by Jack River

15 minutes ago, Will Bigger said:

yea if u just decide to not fall asleep u wont

Exactly.  And even if you do fall asleep, sometimes that's just as well.  Sometimes my meditation is a combination of sleep and meditation.  I'm not overly rigid with myself when I lie down.  Most of the time I just do the right kind of healing that needs to be done with the free time I have at the moment.

Edited by Joseph Maynor