undeather

The Silent Threat Within: Microplastics & Cardiovascular Disease Risk (new study)

22 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Microplastics and nanoplastics, tiny particles less than 5mm in size, have long been a concern for environmental scientists, feared for their potential to infiltrate the food chain and accumulate in biological tissues. Until now, the direct impact of these particles on human health remained largely speculative, with most evidence rooted in preclinical studies. However, this latest research presents undeniable evidence of their perilous presence within human arteries, specifically targeting patients with asymptomatic carotid artery disease.

Unveiling the Evidence

In a meticulously designed prospective study spanning multiple centers, researchers analyzed carotid plaque specimens (atherosclerotic sludge in the carotid arteries) from patients undergoing carotid endarterectomy (extraction of plaque through surgery). Using advanced techniques such as pyrolysis-gas chromatography-mass spectrometry and electron microscopy, the study revealed the unsettling prevalence of polyethylene and polyvinyl chloride particles within the plaque. These findings are shocking - over half of the patients harbored these plastic particles, turning their own bodies into unwitting hosts for pollution.

Electron microscopy further exposed the jagged edges of these particles nestled among plaque macrophages, painting a grim picture of the internal battle waged within the arteries. Radiographic analysis underscored the severity of the situation, identifying chlorine among the debris - a testament to the synthetic origins of these invaders.

The Toll on Human Health

The study's findings take a grim turn as they quantify the impact of these particles on cardiovascular health. Patients with MNPs (micro & nanoplastics) detected in their arterial plaque were found to be at a staggering 4.53 (353% !!) times higher risk of experiencing a myocardial infarction, stroke, or death from any cause compared to those without such particles. This stark revelation underlines a grim reality - the invasion of microplastics into our bodies is not merely a passive occurrence but propably a potent harbinger of disease and mortality.

A Call to Action

This research is a clarion call to the global community, highlighting an urgent need for measures to curb plastic pollution and protect public health. The study not only adds a new dimension to our understanding of cardiovascular disease risk factors but also implores us to rethink our relationship with plastics. The findings underscore the necessity for immediate action to mitigate this invisible threat, urging for policies aimed at reducing plastic production and improving waste management, alongside fostering further research into the health implications of plastic accumulation in the human body.

In the face of this silent threat, the path forward demands a concerted effort to address the pervasive issue of plastic pollution. As we grapple with the implications of these findings, the study serves as a sobering reminder of the complex interconnections between environmental health and human well-being, urging us to act before the toll of inaction becomes irreversible.

Edited by undeather

MD. Internal medicine/gastroenterology - Evidence based integral health approaches

"Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
- Rainer Maria Rilke

Thank you for sharing! First time I heard about microplastics connected to anything other than endocrinology. 

I wasn't able to find the full paper but curious is there is a chance of correlative factor? What did they control for? For example we could proabbly make the assumption that folks with worse lifestyles overall will be more "full of" microplastics due to buying a lot of takeaway drinks, heating up plastic containers, not filtering their water, eating from takeaway containers , eating more processed food etc etc. 

Curious if that was looked at? Either way, this is scary! Dod they explain the suspected pathophysiology? 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

Posted (edited)

22 minutes ago, Michael569 said:

Thank you for sharing! First time I heard about microplastics connected to anything other than endocrinology. 

I wasn't able to find the full paper but curious is there is a chance of correlative factor? What did they control for? For example we could proabbly make the assumption that folks with worse lifestyles overall will be more "full of" microplastics due to buying a lot of takeaway drinks, heating up plastic containers, not filtering their water, eating from takeaway containers , eating more processed food etc etc. 

Curious if that was looked at? Either way, this is scary! Dod they explain the suspected pathophysiology? 

I can send you the full paper next time when I am in the clinic since we have NEJM access! 
https://www.nejm.org/doi/10.1056/NEJMoa2309822

Well, the study looks at people who underwent carotid endarterectomy and that usually means (depending on on the guideline) a 60%+ stenosis (asymptomatic) of the artery  - meaning there is already a significant amount of atherosclerotis degeneratuion underlying the whole cardiovascular system. So we are propably talking about patients who did not choose the healthiest life-path to begin with - I can't give you the exact numbers (controls & adjustments) at the moment (since I am already at home), but I will get back to you asap!

What is pretty crazy however, is that the presence of microplastic in the atheroma itself seems to be an independent major predictor of the structural integrity of the atherosclerotic lesion and therefore a huge risk factor for it "bursting", causing a stroke or heart attack in the process. Why only some individuals seem to deposit such compounds in their lesions, while others don't is still up to debate. Maybe there are certain risk factors like smoking or hypertension that increase the tendency while others maybe be neutral towards it. It seems like the mononuclear phagocyte system is very much involved in this process - and there is quite a lot of mechanistical speculation going on at the moment. But just the numbers themselves, that HR - that's almost unheard of. We might find out that those compounds are as - if not more detrimental than some of our classical cardiovascular risk factors in the near future!

Edited by undeather

MD. Internal medicine/gastroenterology - Evidence based integral health approaches

"Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
- Rainer Maria Rilke

But what can be done about it?

Is there a way to detox microplastics?

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

Doing the Primal Diet helps :D

Taking hot baths is also very good (39-42°C)

Edited by Unlimited

20 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Probably yes. For instance I wasn't poisoned with heavy metals, but I've received pericarditis (inflammation of heart muscle tissue) after Moderna vaccine. It was a very rare case, probably because I was 21 years old when I took it.

I've used traditional anti inflammatory medicine - it helped, but there still was lingering pain. What helped me to recover fully (both clinically, though I did not have MRI) but actually in senses too - was deep meditational experiences. I was practicing chi gong and mastered reiki, thus healed myself after 2-3 months. Crazy stuff but you can read yourself. It takes time to master reiki, and probably not everyone has healing abilities - but it worked.

The way I can explain logically, how it works is that there is lingering inflammation (same with metal toxicity) in the body, in the celural level and whenever you experience deep states of awareness you feel extreme heat (similar after fasting), and that heat restores your body to the state which you kinda created in the first place as God consciousness.

It is actually logical 😁

Posted (edited)

28 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

I am currently doing a lot of research on this topic since I want to include "detox"-protocols for the patients in my private practice.
That said, there isn't a proven method specifically tailored for removing microplastics from the bloodstream (yet).
There are mechanistical approaches and a whole lot of garbage science - so one needs to be very careful with the data.

The good news is that your body seems to somehow take care of the problem IF you stop the constant influx.
Some specific particle-measurements actually go down if people stop using products polluted with certain kinds of particles.
So, prophylaxes and minimizing plastic in day to day life is the way to go for now.
That said, not all plastics are equally bad - some don't seem to have a negative effect at all - it's very complex.
A life completely without plastic is tedious and also unnecessary.
If I find the time, I will go into more detail and what everyone can do from a practical standpoint. 

Edited by undeather

- Rainer Maria Rilke

Posted (edited)

We need some studies on what happens when you overdose someone / something with microplastics, how / if they get stored ,etc

Ideally we'd come up with some sort of microplastic eating microbiome for our guts. I've seen some insects that eat microplastics at some point

Zeolite is said to detox microplastics but I have not found proof besides groundless claims. Some sort of detox protocol would be ideal. 

Activated charcoal with meals? It may backfire if overdone I guess, who knows if its even effective .

Sadly plastic water bottles would be one of the top sources of microplastics, by accidental microtears, sun exposure during delivery etc.

If I had to bet my life on a protocol I'd say 3 day water fasting with reverse osmosis water once per month is as effective as it can get right now for detoxing microplastics, to trigger autophagy and enhance natural detoxification pathways, together with avoiding known sources of microplastics.

I'd be thrilled to do a 3 day water fast together with taking nano zeolite that doesnt contain nano silver ( not ACZ  zeolite brand ) and test my urine for increased microplastix

Edited by mmKay

World's #1 Spiritual Twerking Coach 🍑

1 hour ago, undeather said:

Why only some individuals seem to deposit such compounds in their lesions, while others don't is still up to debate. Maybe there are certain risk factors like smoking or hypertension that increase the tendency while others maybe be neutral towards it. It seems like the mononuclear phagocyte system is very much involved in this process -

it would make sense that it happens the same way the oxidised particles do? Sheer randomness and through the pressure of the pumping. Maybe the progression is identical to the way oxLDL gets there and what happens after is exactly the same - monocyte adhesion, inflammation, foam cell accumulation etc etc. In that case the main determining factor would be, how many particles per ml of blood do you have and what are the odds of them ending up in subendothelial space.

Do we know anything about the size and the ease of luminal penetration? That would be an interesting factor to study. 

1 hour ago, undeather said:

can send you the full paper next time when I am in the clinic since we have NEJM access! 
https://www.nejm.org/doi/10.1056/NEJMoa2309822

^_^

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

8 hours ago, undeather said:

The good news is that your body seems to somehow take care of the problem IF you stop the constant influx.

But how do you avoid plastics? Nearly all food is packaged in it. It's impossible to avoid. Even the meat you buy at the butcher is wrapped in plastic-coated paper.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Based on customs imports to Croatia / Europe I've looked over, ramen noodles are getting imported like crazy.

And It's not one of those versions that comes in a bag It's actually the boxy version, a box made of a plastic interior where you're supposed to pour boiling water in. 

81X-8aFm6PL.jpg

I can expect microplastics in a food like this, I'm scared of traces of it in everyday vegetables/grains/seeds/meat.

Just because It's broccoli doesn't mean its arsenic content is not through the roof.

13 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

But how do you avoid plastics? Nearly all food is packaged in it. It's impossible to avoid. Even the meat you buy at the butcher is wrapped in plastic-coated paper.

We can't. It's everywhere.
Even if we somehow manage to get rid of food-packaging, plastic particles can be found in cloud water ocean and marine environments, freshwater systems, bascially all terrestrial environments (soil & air), household dust, and also in every food group available (more common in animal foods).

I believe a universally actionable step at this juncture is to reduce unnecessary contaminations. This entails adhering to straightforward measures, such as avoiding the use of certain plastic bottles (paying attention to the resin identification code, with codes other than 4, 5, 1, 2 being problematic), being vigilant about the presence of microplastics in personal care products (including soaps, makeup, deodorants, etc.), replacing plastics in the kitchen with alternatives like ceramic or glass, and opting for purchases at farmers' markets, among others. Such practices are instrumental in minimizing environmental impact.

I can assure you that this study is poised to elicit considerable attention, particularly should the findings be replicated. This will likely prompt endeavors to seek solutions to the identified issue over the coming decade. As it stands, this represents a nascent scientific discovery, necessitating further elucidation to fully comprehend the intricacies of the phenomenon and develop efficacious treatment strategies.

- Rainer Maria Rilke

Posted (edited)

most people have plastic water boilers, drink from plastic coffee cups for convenience around town, buy plastic water bottles that sat in the sun, besides all the microplastics found in food. That is bad news.

Edited by Alexop

On 3/7/2024 at 8:25 AM, undeather said:

Microplastics and nanoplastics, tiny particles less than 5mm in size, have long been a concern for environmental scientists, feared for their potential to infiltrate the food chain and accumulate in biological tissues. Until now, the direct impact of these particles on human health remained largely speculative, with most evidence rooted in preclinical studies. However, this latest research presents undeniable evidence of their perilous presence within human arteries, specifically targeting patients with asymptomatic carotid artery disease.

Unveiling the Evidence

In a meticulously designed prospective study spanning multiple centers, researchers analyzed carotid plaque specimens (atherosclerotic sludge in the carotid arteries) from patients undergoing carotid endarterectomy (extraction of plaque through surgery). Using advanced techniques such as pyrolysis-gas chromatography-mass spectrometry and electron microscopy, the study revealed the unsettling prevalence of polyethylene and polyvinyl chloride particles within the plaque. These findings are shocking - over half of the patients harbored these plastic particles, turning their own bodies into unwitting hosts for pollution.

Electron microscopy further exposed the jagged edges of these particles nestled among plaque macrophages, painting a grim picture of the internal battle waged within the arteries. Radiographic analysis underscored the severity of the situation, identifying chlorine among the debris - a testament to the synthetic origins of these invaders.

The Toll on Human Health

The study's findings take a grim turn as they quantify the impact of these particles on cardiovascular health. Patients with MNPs (micro & nanoplastics) detected in their arterial plaque were found to be at a staggering 4.53 (353% !!) times higher risk of experiencing a myocardial infarction, stroke, or death from any cause compared to those without such particles. This stark revelation underlines a grim reality - the invasion of microplastics into our bodies is not merely a passive occurrence but propably a potent harbinger of disease and mortality.

A Call to Action

This research is a clarion call to the global community, highlighting an urgent need for measures to curb plastic pollution and protect public health. The study not only adds a new dimension to our understanding of cardiovascular disease risk factors but also implores us to rethink our relationship with plastics. The findings underscore the necessity for immediate action to mitigate this invisible threat, urging for policies aimed at reducing plastic production and improving waste management, alongside fostering further research into the health implications of plastic accumulation in the human body.

In the face of this silent threat, the path forward demands a concerted effort to address the pervasive issue of plastic pollution. As we grapple with the implications of these findings, the study serves as a sobering reminder of the complex interconnections between environmental health and human well-being, urging us to act before the toll of inaction becomes irreversible.

Was this written by an AI?

"It is from my open heart that I will mirror you, and reflect back to you all that you are:

As a being of love, of energy, 

of passion, and truth."

Posted (edited)

Ask God for a microbe that eats plastic to inhabit the human gut and convert it to something useful. Simple.

Edited by tuku747

20 hours ago, MarkKol said:

Based on customs imports to Croatia / Europe I've looked over, ramen noodles are getting imported like crazy.

And It's not one of those versions that comes in a bag It's actually the boxy version, a box made of a plastic interior where you're supposed to pour boiling water in. 

81X-8aFm6PL.jpg

I can expect microplastics in a food like this, I'm scared of traces of it in everyday vegetables/grains/seeds/meat.

Just because It's broccoli doesn't mean its arsenic content is not through the roof.

I would be more concerned with the amount of sodium in these than any plastic. Might as well douse down some salt and drink some water and call it a day. Ever looked at the amount of sodium in these. All of them.

The "I" wants to know it's not. So, it seeks the end of itself. Hurray, there never was an "I". 

Posted (edited)

9 hours ago, toasty7718 said:

Was this written by an AI?

Yes, ChatGPT :D It's an amazing time saver!

Edited by undeather

- Rainer Maria Rilke