StarStruck

Voice training?

20 posts in this topic

I would like to speak like this:

But I'm wondering if he always speaks like this or if it is just a voice he puts up for the presentation. Just imagine going to a restaurant and ordering something with that kind of voice lol.

Do you guys have any recommendation for voice training? I have trouble with rolling my R's

Well, I never knew what Joseph Rodriguez looked like talking because his videos are usually only narratives, but now I know. 

That voice is one of a kind. Always interesting to listen to. Love his channel. 

Edited by Princess Arabia

The "I" wants to know it's not. So, it seeks the end of itself. Hurray, there never was an "I". 

42 minutes ago, StarStruck said:

But I'm wondering if he always speaks like this or if it is just a voice he puts up for the presentation. Just imagine going to a restaurant and ordering something with that kind of voice lol.

Do you guys have any recommendation for voice training? I have trouble with rolling my R's

If you wish to improve pronunciation, I heard Elsa is good. I don't have much experience personally with it though.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=us.nobarriers.elsa

1 hour ago, StarStruck said:

If you imagine you are talking to a wide audience or someone far away in a big room/stadium, it makes a difference quick. Even if you are alone in some small room or talking to one person, if you do this, the room will literally shake with your voice but you wont be shouting. You often underestimate how much strength is needed to create a confident and full-bodied voice, this imagery helps you to create that.

Also face up, don't look down, as if you are talking to an audience on stage. Really, just imagine being on stage.

Also, have confidence and fun with your voice. Add emphasis and inflection, as if you are a movie character or voicing a character. 

Also, take a big deep breath, you need a lot of air to fuel a bigger and more confident voice. When you're speaking, push that air out with your diaphragm all at once. Don't consciously decide how much air to use, just push it out through the diaphragm using the muscles around there when you need to. 

This is kind of imaginative, but really "move" with your voice. When you speak, move your hand and body with it, be expressive about it. Think back to the last time you were passionately explaining something to someone and you really wanted them to understand it.

By the way, "forcing" it or stressing it wont work. Being loud wont work, there is more to voice quality than that. It will actually sound worse than if you let it flow out through proper technique. It should feel like a strong river flowing, not a short burst.

"God is not a conclusion, it is a sudden revelation. When you see a rose it is not that you go through a logical solipsism, "This is a rose, and roses are beautiful, so this must be beautiful." The moment you see it, the head stops spinning thoughts. On the contrary, your heart starts beating faster. It is something totally different from the idea of truth." -Osho

Roger Love is considered one of the top vocal coaches in the world. He works with everyone in Hollywood.

He offers 1-on-1 coaching or has cheaper online training programs like this one:

https://theperfectvoice.com

I've taken some of his courses. They offer exercises you can do in the shower every day to train up your voice. The exercises are worth doing.

One of the best ways to train your voice is with singing. You can take singing lessons if you wanna get serious about it. Or just practice singing on your own. Basically, singing IS the ultimate vocal training exercise.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

100+ free episode playlist on vocal technique

This dude my favorite, been following him for some time now

No he is not Leo DiCaprio 

----

What you posted is eloquence, oratory and public speaking training. Toastmasters , speaking to the camara and constantly speaking out loud and articulating your thoughts  is the practice you're looking for.

Singing and good speaking are two different skills. Way different 

Now there are skills that are are good for both. For example, unless you learn good breath support your voice will consistently get tired and sore. All explanations of this that I've seen are pretty bad and misleading ,even from actual profesionals .  Took me 3 years to beging to understand it and now building it into muscle memory.

Twang is good to understand if you want your voice to pierce through loud music

Etc

I can expand later if anyone has a specific question

Edited by mmKay

World's #1 Spiritual Twerking Coach 🍑

@StarStruck

9 hours ago, StarStruck said:

Yes, voice training is so important, which is why singing exercises, vocal exercises, even rapping and freestyles are important to do. Furthermore, mini exercises on tonality, and voice mimicry or voice impersonations is also great skill, just imagine changing your dialect, your accent, having the ability to deepen or lighten your voice, implementing other voice qualities, you'll save a lot of money hiring voice actors/actresses and you can voice your own characters it's actually exciting to do. Mantras are also great.

The way I see it the voice has 3 main parts you need to align in order to produce a full sound.

1- Breath. A very simple practice I teach younglings and which is a great way to start a warm-up is to breath deep through your nose and into the belly and then make "ssssss" sound like a snake as long as possible. Then again and again. This will engage the diaphragm and balance your oxygen levels.

2- Larynx and the muscles surrounding it. I don't have a great practice for this. It comes with lots of experience in using your voice. Vocal fries are an option here to gain traction. Just don't hurt yourself with it.

3-Resonators(all the space inside your throat, sinuses & head). Practice humming a steady mid-range "mmmmmm" and focus on opening up your sinuses. Notice how the sound changes. Open up the throat and direct all the vibrations inside of your head. How does the sound change? The more you can allow the vibrations coming from your larynx to reverberate inside you and amplify themselves, the better you'll sound.

Great voices come from aligning these so that they support each other. Stay relaxed but keep your muscles engaged.

Sailing on the ceiling 

On 12/21/2023 at 8:59 AM, mmKay said:

100+ free episode playlist on vocal technique

This dude my favorite, been following him for some time now

No he is not Leo DiCaprio 

----

What you posted is eloquence, oratory and public speaking training. Toastmasters , speaking to the camara and constantly speaking out loud and articulating your thoughts  is the practice you're looking for.

Singing and good speaking are two different skills. Way different 

Now there are skills that are are good for both. For example, unless you learn good breath support your voice will consistently get tired and sore. All explanations of this that I've seen are pretty bad and misleading ,even from actual profesionals .  Took me 3 years to beging to understand it and now building it into muscle memory.

Twang is good to understand if you want your voice to pierce through loud music

Etc

I can expand later if anyone has a specific question

Amazing resource dude, ty. I binged the entire playlist yesterday and learned so much and basically transformed my voice too. Fascinating how deep this stuff gets. It was surprisingly a lot of fun too.

Edited by Osaid

"God is not a conclusion, it is a sudden revelation. When you see a rose it is not that you go through a logical solipsism, "This is a rose, and roses are beautiful, so this must be beautiful." The moment you see it, the head stops spinning thoughts. On the contrary, your heart starts beating faster. It is something totally different from the idea of truth." -Osho

Singing exercises are great. Amazing. Marvelous even.

Speech is a dirtier form of vocal production.

It's much harder to talk for extended periods of time without getting horse and hurting yourself than it is to sing. At least it was for me.

My focus would be on the words and meaning I want to express and my technique would suffer for it. Whereas with singing I can just put 100% of my attention on the pure sound and joyous sensation of a vibrating skull thus creating space for much more grace and ease.

God I love singing.

Edited by Rigel

Sailing on the ceiling 

@Osaid Keep in mind that singing or even speaking technique is physical, so even though you understand and effectively remember the proper technique, it will take you hundreds of hours to actually build it into muscle memory, in a cycle of consistently forgetting and reapplying. ( Forgetting / not executing proper posture, breath support, not relaxing  unwanted tension ... Etc)

And that is how you actually transform your voice

And another thing to keep in mind for proper context and so that y'all  don't get discouraged is that you may understand HOW to do it, and actually execute the vocal coordination properly, and YET it will not work. 

Because your vocal muscles are too weak and need to get stronger over time for what you're doing to work . The vocal chords are bout 3 cm long

Think of it this way: You may understand how to do a pull up. You may be giving your body the correct command ( grip bar overhead and pull your weight up with biceps, lats, upper back ...)

But you will not rise unless you have enough strength 

And the trap would be to think that what you're doing is wrong and change the movement, when actually what you have to do is an assisted version of it

That would be an elastic band assisted pull up, or lat pull downs with less weight, etc.

Which translates to practice with lower pitch , lower volume , slower runs, etc.

And progressively do it harder . The concept of Mastery applies very well in this skill

That's why no matter how many times you listen to the theory , your voice will not really improve unless you apply it in your speaking and vocal exercises

Decent breath support video ( still not entirely accurate)

Alexander technique: fixing posture 

Edited by mmKay

28 minutes ago, mmKay said:

@Osaid Keep in mind that singing or even speaking technique is physical, so even though you understand and effectively remember the proper technique, it will take you hundreds of hours to actually build it into muscle memory, in a cycle of consistently forgetting and reapplying. ( Forgetting / not executing proper posture, breath support ... Etc)

And that is where you will actually transform your voice

And another thing to keep in mind for proper context and so that y'all  don't get discouraged is that you may understand HOW to do it, and actually execute the vocal coordination properly, and YET it will not work. 

Because your vocal muscles are too weak and need to get stronger over time for what you're doing to work .

Think of it this way: You may understand how to do a pull up. You may be giving your body the correct command ( grip bar overhead and pull your weight up with biceps, lats, upper back ...)

But you will not rise unless you have enough strength 

And the trap would be to think that what you're doing is wrong and change the movement, when actually what you have to do is an assisted version of it

That would be an elastic band assisted pull up, or lat pull downs with less weight, etc.

Which translates to practice with lower pitch , lower volume , slower runs, etc.

And progressively do it harder . The concept of Mastery applies very well in this skill

If you're curious about voice technique look up Alexander Technique 

https://youtu.be/BgplXmILzoQ?si=vHo6hXIrPUdCNY_a

I woke up today with like a night and day difference. It feels natural too. I realize that it is physical, and it feels like some kind of muscle is starting to develop there or something. It feels like previously there was some stored up trauma or something that was keeping my voice at bay, perhaps from previous incidents of lacking confidence or something. I think this would also explain the short learning curve, since it would mean my voice was already stunted and not at its baseline vocality. Will see if it lasts or whatever, I think it will.

Start singing. People who sing have very interesting and expressive quirks in their speech and intonation. I find it really attractive and I will instantly know if I hear it.

Lately I've been more interested in this topic. I have a little personal playlist for this, I plan to keep expanding it

A state low in stress, excess in energy, makes my path powerful and serious.

Happened to me after eating two white chocolate bars at once for the experiment (not good, don't do that), maybe the calories, maybe the sugar/stearic acid combo, idk.

Edited by Schizophonia

If you dont understand, you're not twisted enough.

This is a very underrated topic. 

Learning how to express yourself verbally with the right tonality is key to attracting people to listen to you, which will allow you to have a greater influence on others. 

A person could be saying the most profound thing on earth, but if they sound like a robot, no one is going to listen. 

Have fun with your voice. 

Edited by Spiritual Warrior

31 minutes ago, Spiritual Warrior said:

This is a very underrated topic. 

Learning how to express yourself verbally with the right tonality is key to attracting people to listen to you, which will allow you to have a greater influence on others. 

A person could be saying the most profound thing on earth, but if they sound like a robot, no one is going to listen. 

Have fun with your voice. 

This forum is blind to many things

Literally best whistle register tutorial I've found in months

Gold Thread.

I forgive my past, I release the future, and I honor how I feel in the present.