MarkKol

I'd like to hear your opinion on starch, legumes and seeds.

22 posts in this topic

I have seen multiple comments against starch specifically lentils, beans, and oats. This interests me because legumes and grains are actually higher in vitamins and especially in minerals per gram compared to vegetables. In general, vegetables are lower in micronutrients compared to most other foods including meats. And of course, the reasons for eating more or less of something should be backed up by science. Eating more vegetables is associated with better health at least in general medicine, but the same can be said about legumes and oats.

I feel like this whole thing is about high-calorie foods being bad in general, lentils are high-calorie IMO. I don't like the idea of eating less than 2500 calories a day though, some of us have very fast metabolisms, which means if we ate only vegetables we would look like children. You can poke fun at that idea all you want but you are ignorant of the fact that people Gen Z and forward have the opposite problem their parents had, we don't have balanced hormones, especially male ones. Testosterone isn't just a muscle-building hormone, It's also an essential hormone to be and remain a happy male in many other areas.

Consuming 2100-3000 calories a day is necessary for most men.

Written with open-mindedness.

Screenshot 2023-12-12 at 03.20.12.png

Lol.

Legumes are super food. Leo is wrong on that one. They contain everything you need. Complex carbs, fiber, proteins, electrolytes and some vitamins.

Nothing beats a bowel of hot lentil soup.

I think it's a bit of a waste of time to worry about this kind of thing, some live well and for a long time by accumulating significantly toxic daily practices (alcohol, tobacco, sedentary lifestyle)....
Will you survive beans? lol

+ If you are too skinny, testosterone decreases but so does the entire hormonal cascade. 🤔

If you dont understand, you're not twisted enough.

16 minutes ago, LSD-Rumi said:

Lol.

Legumes are super food. Leo is wrong on that one. They contain everything you need. Complex carbs, fiber, proteins, electrolytes and some vitamins.

Nothing beats a bowel of hot lentil soup.

It depends, I can't stand legumes in high quantities. 

Guaranteed to turn me into a human jetpack.

Legumes, lentils, beans, seeds & oats are beyond the most health promoting foods out there. 

I dont know the context of the Leo-quote, but it's nonsense. 

MD. Internal medicine/gastroenterology - Evidence based integral health approaches

"Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
- Rainer Maria Rilke

Legumes have always been too hard to digest IME. I think people get overly logical looking at nutritional value and discount how it genuinely makes them feel after they eat it and how intensive the digestion process it creates is.

Starch is fine and easy to absorb for energy, it's good paired with something whole which has fiber and other nutrients to back it up, like wheat or potato. I don't have issues with grains if it is high quality.

Edited by Osaid

"God is not a conclusion, it is a sudden revelation. When you see a rose it is not that you go through a logical solipsism, "This is a rose, and roses are beautiful, so this must be beautiful." The moment you see it, the head stops spinning thoughts. On the contrary, your heart starts beating faster. It is something totally different from the idea of truth." -Osho

Assessing the quality of your shit is a good litmus test. No amount of high quality food can substitute for healthy looking shit.

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

5 hours ago, Schizophonia said:

I think it's a bit of a waste of time to worry about this kind of thing, some live well and for a long time by accumulating significantly toxic daily practices (alcohol, tobacco, sedentary lifestyle)....
Will you survive beans? lol

+ If you are too skinny, testosterone decreases but so does the entire hormonal cascade. 🤔

Why are you giving advice in the health section. You should come with a disclaimer.

Warning: I give terrible advice on health and food. Listen at your own risk and don't do as I say or do. 

The "I" wants to know it's not. So, it seeks the end of itself. Hurray, there never was an "I". 

Legumes and seeds are good. It depends on the starch.  Not too much whites. Quinoa, wild rice, sweet potatoes, squashes, bulgar wheat, parsnips, green peas are good starches to name a few. Oats, if not grown with pesticides and glyphosate can be good. A lot of conventionally grown oats in the US is toxic and can be harmful in large amounts. Research.

Edited by Princess Arabia

The "I" wants to know it's not. So, it seeks the end of itself. Hurray, there never was an "I". 

14 hours ago, Yimpa said:

Assessing the quality of your shit is a good litmus test. No amount of high quality food can substitute for healthy looking shit.

In other words, "get your shit togheter" 

Generally healthy, as long as one can maintain a caloric deficit or neutral state without gaining weight eating the said food. Oats are fine, oatmeal cookies could make you fat. Legumes are great, but too many burritos could pack on the pounds.  Dr Greger has a "divide by 5" rule in which the carb you consume should be at least 20% dietary fiber as a percentage of total carbohydrates. Generally a good rule to follow. Oats have the highest glycemic index of the aforementioned items. Good for mixing milled flaxseed, frozen blueberries, ceylon cinnamon, potassium salt, and protein powder into for a nice, healthy breakfast especially after lifting.  Throw in 7.5 grams of glycine and 1-2 grams of Taurine as well.

Edited by sholomar

once i got cyanide poisoning from ground flaxseed flatbread. Possibly.

World's #1 Spiritual Twerking Coach 🍑

16 hours ago, Princess Arabia said:

Why are you giving advice in the health section. You should come with a disclaimer.

Warning: I give terrible advice on health and food. Listen at your own risk and don't do as I say or do.

I would cut myself a ball if you have even 10% of my experience, so in your place I would be more humble.

Yes, getting bored with this type of question is useless. It’s good, you’re not going to develop a chronic illness because you eat this or that starchy food instead of another.

1 minute ago, Schizophonia said:

I would cut myself a ball if you have even 10% of my experience, so in your place I would be more humble.

Yes, getting bored with this type of question is useless. It’s good, you’re not going to develop a chronic illness because you eat this or that starchy food instead of another.

Noone knows what will happen but at least we can try preventative care. Don't know what your first sentence is saying. Doesn't even matter. Do you.

On 13/12/2023 at 8:13 PM, Charlotte said:

@MarkKol ignore all the bs you have read, eat them and see how you feel. 

Legumes and lentils are very healthy, rich in many nutrients. It's important to soak them in water for at least an hour before cooking and ensure they are not undercooked. The orange/red lentils are an exception, it is enough to wash them in water and cook them, no need to soak.

Rice and oats are also excellent.

Calories don't matter as long as you consume healthy food, maintain a balanced diet, and incorporate some physical activity into your lifestyle.

Let Love In

Just eat and see how it makes you feel. Not just while you eat it but also later in the day and next day.

for me too much beans, lentils etc are hard on my gut

Edited by PurpleTree