Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ramanujan

is it really bad to getting into programming job at age 30

33 posts in this topic

All I am saying is this. AI has made it far easier to make projects for people with no professional experience. So from the perspective of the recruiter the first thought they have when looked at the project is if they used AI to build this and as a consequence the projects may not directly transfer to skill. Just that thought may cross their mind.  

This means that you need to use even more creativity and skill to stand out from the banal AI dupes out there as long as you are relying on projects to display your skill. And any number of projects will not add up to real world experience. You should try to get real world professional experience and use personal project portfolio as a supplement. You are essentially competing with experienced folks in the market.

AI is a powerful tool, and just like a strong substance needs to be used responsibly and with proper intention. 

The best wingman can guide you, but can never substitute for you doing the actual approach and learning the socialization skills for yourself 

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

Posted (edited)

7 hours ago, Bobby_2021 said:

All I am saying is this. AI has made it far easier to make projects for people with no professional experience. So from the perspective of the recruiter the first thought they have when looked at the project is if they used AI to build this and as a consequence the projects may not directly transfer to skill. Just that thought may cross their mind. 

This is a nonsense point because nothing has ever stopped anyone from stealing people's work and placing it into their portfolios. It was always possible to lie to get hired. But then you'd be screwed because you wouldn't be able to do the work.

All that matters is one's ability to code and to demonstrate it. It's very easy to tell when someone is a good coder vs not. I've hired talented programmers and I could tell within a few days, a week tops, if he was seriously good.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

9 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

An AI tool cannot do the job of a serious programmer. Enough with the AI hype train.

Good to hear a realistic perspective about this. Do you think that programming will still be a skill of the same value as it is today in 20 years, with all the advancements in AI, for someone who keeps adapting and learning new tools and technologies? When you are a beginner, it is hard to tell.

22 minutes ago, deamordeamar said:

Good to hear a realistic perspective about this. Do you think that programming will still be a skill of the same value as it is today in 20 years, with all the advancements in AI, for someone who keeps adapting and learning new tools and technologies? When you are a beginner, it is hard to tell.

No one knows.

Serious programmers will probably always be in demand. Amatures will probably be made obsolete.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

43 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Serious programmers will probably always be in demand. Amatures will probably be made obsolete.

Like with all mature branches of engineering. Mechanical, electrical, even chemistry. Chemistry amateurs can cook drugs, that's the only niche they can have any economic value in, because it's illegal so big corporations can't touch it... yet. Decades ago there were physical OTC chemistry shops in the US, people could have bought ingredients for their diy fireworks. Now everything is so streamlined, no-one randomly pick-ups interest in laboraty operations. There's also no societal need for them to do so.

Is it what you genuinely want to spend your time doing in order to attract money? Do you enjoy it? Is it a passion of yours? What are your intentions for pursuing it? You can make something wonderful out of anything you are truthfully aligned with. 

Posted (edited)

@Con heo dienHi there, could you help me I'm looking for an IT job too (relocate/remote) :x

And thanks @flowboy for your input; very helpful information.

Edited by Joyboy

Whatever happens..
The Truth will free my soul

@flowboy @Leo Gura @Bobby_2021 i am college dropout. i dont have a degree. how much of a problem is that

Ahh shit , i fucked up in college.

Edited by Ramanujan

A real and honest example:
In the city I live, in Europe, there are 200.000 people.
There are just two IT programmer job advertised in this month here. Both want programmer with 5-10 year experience with a college degree, almost native level english.
I found only 3 IT jobs which can be done from anywhere so in my city too, but they are too with senior experience.
There is only one job which don't require college degree in 70 km radius, but it's require experience, renting house+bills cost as much money as this job gives you, but this is a small town and rarely there is any house to rent there at all.
Maybe lot of people applied to these jobs already.
In our capital city there are around 150 programming jobs, only like 10 on of them don't require experience, there renting the cheapest apartman in 10 km from the job+bills+basic food+other necessities like transportation cost as much as the job gives, the job which don't require experience, but as high level of knowledge like people with experience.
In other fields like accounting, there are 8 accountant which is needed in my city in this month. I need still 5 year to get my college degree in accounting, and I'm bored of it, the meaning I have is doing spirituality most of my time. For lot of people's jobs shouldn't try be connected to their life purpose.
Can I have hope and start learning programming, I'm not counting with some factor?

16 hours ago, Ramanujan said:

@flowboy @Leo Gura @Bobby_2021 i am college dropout. i dont have a degree. how much of a problem is that

Ask Bill Gates

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

Just now, Yimpa said:

Ask Bill Gates

lmao , that is 1 in a billion . and he droped out from havard .