StarStruck

Should you judge people on appearance?

130 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Thought Art said:

@UnbornTao are you a Buddhist beggar? 

I am not Buddhist but I like the teachings for what they are. The maps especially. Also Buddhist Qigong is cool, though maybe not as full at Toaist Qigong - thinking out loud

nah, joking.

@UnbornTao Boi oh boi

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

Judgement is necessary. It's a necessity to judge people by their appearance.

Just be aware that you're not omnipotent, and do not know everything about the person, or the archetype, or the subject or field that you put them in or group them with.

Awareness of your ignorance while also udging someone really shows in your behavior, and provides for a more neutral and accurate judgement. You also end up playing safer.

It's a weird and fine balance. It takes time to learn to do that.

I don't think that people should judge people by their appearance because it can be deceptive. There might be some truth to the idea that appreance imply on the inside of the person but it's only to shallow degree.

You can see a fat person and assume that they tend to be invloved in emotional eating and dislike sports which could be true but that's all you get from judging their appearance.

To really know a person and reveal their true character, you have to look at their actions, appearance or the way they describe themselves is not enough.

Let Love In

16 hours ago, StarStruck said:

For example if somebody is fat, it means this person has no self control or low consciousness in my eyes. The outer is only a reflection of the inner. So if you see somebody is unhealthy you can be safe to make judgements on their character. 

Appearances are mostly deceptive, if not always. The outer may be a reflection of the inner, but everyone must ask themselves: am I wise enough to spot the biases of my own before making judgements based on the appearances?

For example, if somebody is fat or unhealthy, if you think it's because of their bad habits, you might be making a mistake. It might be because of various things as pointed out by others. Similarly, if you judge someone because you caught him lying, cheating or even murdering, it can be a reflection of hundreds of things, including many good ones. Are you wise and unbiased enough to spot which one it is? If not, it's better not to judge at all. 

Judging by appearances is one of the main reasons why people choose to hide their real feelings or act in an already well enacted drama.

Edited by An young being

13 hours ago, CARDOZZO said:

Generally fat people are friendly.

Fat girls are awesome and I love them.

That said, I noticed types of faces and a correlation between them and a character.
For example, curious women tend to have a wider, swollen face; if they are extroverted and energetically "greedy" they will tend to look like a sow, while introverts have a flatter face close to an cow or an owl. , the owl being generally more "dry" and moody, sometimes aggressive, than the cow. Girls who are hypomanic but not very curious/aware, a little naive and the type to keep their mouth open while thinking, tend to look like donkeys/horses.
Women who are not very curious/aware AND introverted often have a rodent face and a small, skinny physique, unlike the luscious and libidinal sow.

Edited by Schizophonia

If you dont understand, you're not twisted enough.

17 hours ago, StarStruck said:

For example if somebody is fat, it means this person has no self control or low consciousness in my eyes. The outer is only a reflection of the inner. So if you see somebody is unhealthy you can be safe to make judgements on their character. 

The whole problem with fat people is that they try to loose fat (the outer ) without trying to make any fixes on the inner (their personality) and thus they are stuck in this rut for a long time. Perhaps their whole life. 

This thread is not to pick on fat people. This counts for many problematic traits like addiction and other character flaws. Everybody has them. 

people who are overweight don't necessarily eat too much. Self-control can be said for smokers or heavy drinkers. 

14 hours ago, CARDOZZO said:

Generally fat people are friendly.

Fat girls are awesome and I love them.

what do you base this on? Friendliness has little to do with one's weight. 

Edited by bebotalk

Yeah I worked with a fat girl who was so awful she was the reason I left that job. 

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

34 minutes ago, bebotalk said:

people who are overweight don't necessarily eat too much. Self-control can be said for smokers or heavy drinkers. 

That is bullshit. No way you are going to grow a whales ass while eating beef and veggies. I’m flabbergasted by the low LOC comments on this thread. 

9 minutes ago, StarStruck said:

That is bullshit. No way you are going to grow a whales ass while eating beef and veggies. I’m flabbergasted by the low LOC comments on this thread. 

No, it's just basic medicine. And yes, a person can be fat by eating "healthy food". Beef isn't even that healthy. Weight gain is an excess of calories in and out and not just only bad foods. Seems your medical knowledge is stuck in the past, or you distrust anything new as sinister. It's often American southerners, Africans, southern Asians, ec. who tend to think that way. 

@StarStruck

18 hours ago, StarStruck said:

The whole problem with fat people is that they try to loose fat (the outer ) without trying to make any fixes on the inner (their personality) and thus they are stuck in this rut for a long time. Perhaps their whole life. 

This thread is not to pick on fat people. This counts for many problematic traits like addiction and other character flaws. Everybody has them. 

Judgments? no. Discernment? Yes.

56 minutes ago, StarStruck said:

Here's an article on the causes of obesity that may help you to expand your views. A simple Google search is enough to know about it. 

https://www.nichd.nih.gov/health/topics/obesity/conditioninfo/cause

19 hours ago, StarStruck said:

The outer is only a reflection of the inner.

Since you're complaining about low LOC: where do overweight people appear and what might your interpretation of them say about you? ;)

17 minutes ago, meta_male said:

Since you're complaining about low LOC: where do overweight people appear and what might your interpretation of them say about you? ;)

What is LOC, btw? Line of control?

Assigning character traits to someone because of how they appear is a you thing not a them thing.

Should you judge people on appearance? Yes, relative to the situation. If some goes to a job interview dressed for a football game, or wears a tuxedo to the gym, judge them. They are not playing by the social rules for the persona interactions.

Fat people are not fat. Fat people have excess body fat. People are not drug addicts. People have drug addictions.

This difference between "people are" vs "people have" is massively important.

Judging people based on appearance is natural. But what is natural isn't necessarily good or beneficial. 

I admit I judge others on appearance. Nobody is perfect and we all have failings on some level. Though I'm not fattist and I admit that if a woman is very pretty by conventional standards, then I do judge her for potentially having a bad character. It may not be "right" on some level, but such is life. Generally, humans are not than how we look. I've known fat people who don't consistently eat junk foods and are not necessarily lazy. It's often just bad genetics that cause this, and not necessarily lifestyle. That said, even if a person has such a genome, they can eat foods that better suits their metabolic nature.