Someone here

Are Carbohydrates bad for you ?

22 posts in this topic

If bread ..pasta ..oats etc contain Glutin which is bad for your digestive system..then should I cut all Carbs from diet?  Only relying on meats and veggies?  But these don't make me feel satiated and full ..I need Carbs to get energy. 

@Schizophonia 

Edited by Someone here

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

I love carbs. Used to be allergic to many of them such as oats and wheat, but now eat them without issues (as far as I’m concerned).

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

1 hour ago, Yimpa said:

I love carbs. Used to be allergic to many of them such as oats and wheat, but now eat them without issues (as far as I’m concerned).

Leo says all refined carbs should be avoided because they are just junk and filled with sugar and caus autoimmune diseases. 

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

@Someone here everyone has their own perspective on what will or will not happen. The answers should ultimately derive from your own direct experience. 

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

5 hours ago, Yimpa said:

@Someone here everyone has their own perspective on what will or will not happen. The answers should ultimately derive from your own direct experience. 

This advice needs to be discerned. Spirituality yes. Common knowledge, not always. I don't need direct experience to know that artificial sugars, flavorings and toxic lifestyle choices are bad choices. I don't need direct experience to know that killing someone may land me in jail. Knowing certain information ahead of time can save one the hassle of going through the pain and misery of what experiencing something directly may or may not cause. That's why we have educators and mentors and people who have experienced certain things for, to advise us ahead of time on certain issues that are commonly dealt with in day-to-day life experiences that doesn't require direct experience first to know it's potential danger.

There is no beginning, there is no end. There is just Simply This. 

You can eat fruits with low fructose, the rest are really bad due high spike insuline. 

Really you have to discern the type and quality of the carbohydrates.

Apples are made almost entirely of carbohydrates. So is apple candy. 

Carrots are made almost entirely of carbohydrates. So is carrot cake.

Your diet should be centered around unrefined and complex carbohydrates with moderate amounts of protein and fat:

- Whole grains. (gluten free) Oats, quinoa, buckwheat, corn, rice, Teff, amaranth ... avoid refined and processed white bread. If you have a bad reaction to gluten then cut it from your diet, you might be celiac or have non-celiac gluten sensitivity. The only grains that have gluten are wheat, barley, and rye. Whole grains are overwhelmingly healthy and, for starters, decrease our risk for all-cause morality by 20%. They're loaded with plant-based sources of many B-vitamins and are easily digestible. 

- Legumes

- Fruits (human outcome data shows with consistency that fruit is overwhelmingly healthy for us and reduces risk for many chronically ailments, don't worry too much about glycemic load unless you're eating a surplus of dried fruits, like dates)

- Leafy and non-leafy vegetables

Try to minimize your intake of added sugars, too. If you need a sweetener, use date sugar or blackstrap molasses. 

@Someone here

"It is from my open heart that I will mirror you, and reflect back to you all that you are:

As a being of love, of energy, 

of passion, and truth."

The internet somehow managed to rot our brains to the extent that people are now afraid of carbs. 
And the ones to blame are all the "health experts" spouting absolute garbage without providing any solid evidence for it.
The sheer amount of conflicting information dumbing just confuses people. 

If I find some time, I will write down a no bullshit guide to nutrition.
This community needs it more than anything.

Edited by undeather

MD. Internal medicine/gastroenterology - Evidence based integral health approaches

"Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
- Rainer Maria Rilke

Avoid High GI carbs that spike blood sugar.

Fruits and Veg are fine. 

Hi 👋

I do well with lots of carbohydrates in my diet, from experience diets restrictive in terms of macronutrients are basically useless, very counter-intuitive and even potentially dangerous in the long term.

After all, your body is a survival machine and some people manage to live long enough by accumulating the worst possible habits (regular smoking, alcohol, relatively sedentary), so you can imagine that being afraid of a slice of bread is a Bit of an exaggeration if you look at it that way, lol.

What's really helpful is observing which foods cause you problems and which ones don't.

If you dont understand, you're not twisted enough.

Also be wary of appeals to nature and doxa when it comes to dietary choices.

-I can eat tons of GMO full gluten wheat for an indefinite amount of time without the slightest problem, but any legume in excessive quantities (even prepared in the longest way and applied) will give me brain fog and transform myself into a human jetpack.

-My mielpops are much more digestible than any oatmeal.

-I will feel "good" after drinking a whole bottle of lactose-free semi-skimmed milk, but the equivalent of "whole raw milk from Jersey cows" will give me the impression of being autistic, then an explosive diarrhoea, and a ton of gas.

etctec

Currently I have a fairly varied diet based on poultry, red meat, white pasta and white rice, honey pops (with milk), potatoes, sweet potatoes, nuts, a lot of olive oil/butter/ crème fraîche, peppers, fake vegetables (a cucumber and a pepper almost every day), fruit juice, random cakes (brownies, flant...) and coca cola here and there.

I'm fine :P, in fact it's basically the everyday diet where I live. 

If you dont understand, you're not twisted enough.

4 hours ago, undeather said:

If I find some time, I will write down a no bullshit guide to nutrition.
This community needs it more than anything.

Yes!

Carbohydrates have been improperly demonized, not dissimilar to saturated fat. The devil is in the details, i.e., not all carbohydrates, just like not all fats, are deleterious to human health.

My recommendation is to limit combined fructose and galactose to 50 grams per day, and to consume at least 1 gram of dietary fat per kilogram of body weight for optimal endocrine function.

I consume 300 grams of carbohydrates per day as they help replete my muscle glycogen and fuel my high volume weight training sessions.

My macronutrient intake is approximately 170P 300C and 80F: the key to this is that I have minimized my fructose/galactose intake to below 50 grams, and my PUFA intake to about 5 grams.

Cutting out carbs is a fad diet and a very poor choice in the long term unless eating so much protein (likely >250g/day) that enough converts to carbs for there to be a reservoir of it and no ketosis (like if due to an autoimmune condition you find that the only diet that works for you is all-meat/fish, as apparently JBP and even Leo at one point did to some extent).

Keto will progressively deteriorate health markers, even if it does effectively lead to short-term weight loss (not just fat, it causes water loss too). Now, is the offending attribute the high fat, or the low carb? Very likely, both.

Generally you want daily carb intake to never drop below 125g per day, for most people — this helps prevent a low T3/T4 ratio, which is incredibly vital for mood.

Also, while it’s not 100% necessary to do at all times, it is at least very likely prudent to consume, on average, more calories from carbs than protein, and more calories from protein than fat — C>P>F, and fat is 9/4=2.25x as calorie dense as the other two, so in grams or mass it would be 1C>1P>2.25F.

How lax you can be with your diet and still be very healthy depends primarily on the amount and quality of resistance training you do, but likely the #1 biggest common dietary mistake (and easiest to rectify) is not consuming enough protein — and you don’t need “optimal” protein intake, there’s simply a sliding scale: 0.8g protein per lb LBM is 99-100% as good as you can get for muscle growth in a calorie excess or at maintenance, but for fat loss in a calorie deficit 1g protein per lb total body mass is 99% as good as you can get and about 240-280g/day for most people gets them 100%… however even if you cut those numbers in half it’s not like you’re only getting 50% benefit, it’s more like 75-95%. It’s safe to assume that a good goal for minimum daily protein intake for optimal health is 80g/day — and never eat any calories without also eating protein with it, otherwise you’re forcing your food to contribute to unhealthy processes, rather than healthy ones which generally require at least some amino acids (which protein breaks down into) in the blood.

Edited by The0Self

It is crazy how long I have been struggling to find the right answers about diet!

what I can say from years for diets and even the last 2 years of Keto diet which helped in the beginning but after 2 years failed too… 

the final answer is: eat real food only!

I know it sounds very hard but I’m doing it and I feel great. With one important note, I was having leaky gut and many other health issues. As soon as found and started fixing it, all is getting back to normal. But ok. It requires very strong will too. I’m training my will since years so that wasn’t the problem to me. The problem was the huge investment to find all the issues, but I was able to manage that sacrificing my savings for my life-purpose work. 
Health is a big fight, do not underestimate it. And learn, learn and learn. But not only from 10 min videos. That will never bring you to a point. Learn from science. Functional medicine is also great, but the serious one only. Not green stuff. 
wish you luck. 

There's nothing really wrong with gluten unless you have actual celiac disease. In fact, whole wheat is an important source of Betaine, which is a component similar to Choline, which is found in egg yolks. If you were to be a gluten free vegan who didn't eat eggs or wheat (and also no quinoa which is a rich source) that's not really the best for the body, and could result in the buildup of visceral fat inside the body.

Excessive carbohydrates tend to be unhealthy especially when combined with fats in the diet. Fats and carbs should be separated into their own meals to a degree, for no other reason than the combination is so addictive and makes people overeat.  I wouldn't live off bananas or watermelons though. Too much fructose is bad for the liver. Similar to alcohol, only the liver can process fructose. It's all about moderation and common sense.  I find the NOVOSLAB diet to be closest to optimal... just don't buy his supplements. Buy a big bag of glycine and some taurine and NAC off amazon for cheaper and use that for anti-aging.

https://novoslabs.com/what-is-the-best-diet-for-longevity/

I still eat Aldi brand wheat bran flakes, for the Betaine. Mixed with Orgain protein powder, costco frozen blueberries, glycine, creatine, taurine, ceylon cinnamon, and liquid sucralose.  Also Aldi brand 45 calorie high fiber bread (basically the sara lee 45 calorie equivalent for less than half the price)  Also keep potassium salt on hand along with 50/50 salt to avoid excess sodium intake.

Dr Greger pushes more plant based entirely, which is fine I guess, if that works for you. I like this clip in his recent video on coffee particularly his snarky rip on starbucks that all coffee snobs would tend to agree with.

Edited by sholomar

F_oRNIiW8AAoXXD.jpg

MD. Internal medicine/gastroenterology - Evidence based integral health approaches

"Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
- Rainer Maria Rilke

@undeather

When I don't eat enough carbs, I feel like it literally lowers my IQ, so this is not so far off actually :D

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.