Archie

What are the best news sources?

30 posts in this topic

I'm looking for the best sources of news that I can access online

I'm located in the U.S. 

It's not really a question of best but having a wide diversity of sources.

I look at:

• CNN
  • MSNBC
  • Vox
  • Mother Jones
  • The Gaurdian
  • The Atlantic
  • NYT
  • New Yorker
  • Washington Post
  • AP News
  • Google News
  • The Verge
  • Ars Technica
  • Politico
  • And a bunch of Youtube channels like Breaking Points
Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

I look at:

• CNN
  • MSNBC
  • Vox
  • Mother Jones
  • The Gaurdian
  • The Atlantic
  • NYT
  • New Yorker
  • Washington Post
  • AP News
  • Google News
  • The Verge
  • Ars Technica
  • Politico

Have you tried Ground news? It’s a pretty good app for congregating news sources. IIRC they have a page for each event/topic and give you a breakdown of all of the different news sources that have covered it, and their political bias.

It also gives good summaries too

11 hours ago, DefinitelyNotARobot said:

@Leo Gura No Tucker Carlson? I'm disappointed... 😔

He’s too opinionated. 

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

As Leo has mentioned before, Pod Save America is one the best independent media outlets on news and left-wing political analysis. It is a YT channel that promotes liberal/progressive activism, but it is much more reasonable and balanced than hyper populist left-wing channels like TYT are. Their other other channel, Pod the Save the World, provides excellent left-wing political analyses on military and international affairs. 

Also, stay away from Fox News, alt-right info on Facebook, Alex Jones, conservative talk radio, and other right-wing media outlets. Over the past about 3 decades, they brainwashed about a third of Americans throughout the whole country into believing that our country's democracy and freedoms should be replaced by neofascistic values such as ultranationalism, racial supremacy, right-wing populist extremism, authoritarianism, nativism, xenophobia, and anti-immigration sentiment. They have also in great part been responsible for causing the rise of Donald Trump and the MAGA republicans, who are the neofascists hellbent on destroying America.

Don't listen to any right-winger or Republican who whines about how the mainstream media and big-tech platforms have been unfair in the way they cover conservatives or Republicans. It's total BS and actually has been such an old line of attack on real journalism that goes all the way back to Nixon in the 70s. The far right-wing media ecosystem as a whole has actually gained more attention, more viewers, and more popularity in American than NYT, CNN, NBC/CNBC, MSNBC, PBS, CBS, NPR, other corporate centrist media outlets, and independent left-wing outlets combined. Since the 1990s, the right-wing media has only been increasingly distorting facts and good-faith analyses.

This is also why the left-wing and the Democratic party have in recent years been building up a liberal/progressive media ecosystem that will be able to totally combat all of the misinformation out there put out by the toxic right-wing media ecosystem. Otherwise, America may no longer become a free and fair country at all anymore.

MeidasTouch, More Perfect Union, Brian Tyler Cohen, and others like those ones are also great to follow. In fact, all of these left-wing channels need as much support from as many American viewers as they can get for their fight against right-wing disinformation in our country.

Edited by Hardkill

19 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

I look at:

• CNN
  • MSNBC
  • Vox
  • Mother Jones
  • The Gaurdian
  • The Atlantic
  • NYT
  • New Yorker
  • Washington Post
  • AP News
  • Google News
  • The Verge
  • Ars Technica
  • Politico

Why is InfoWars not on this list?

أشهد أن لا إله إلا الله وأشهد أن ليو رسول الله

Google news is the best one if you don't have much time or your don't believe in a single source. You can check with multiple sources easily by clicking on full coverage button.

On 10.11.2023 at 6:43 AM, Leo Gura said:

I look at:

• CNN
  • MSNBC
  • Vox
  • Mother Jones
  • The Gaurdian
  • The Atlantic
  • NYT
  • New Yorker
  • Washington Post
  • AP News
  • Google News
  • The Verge
  • Ars Technica
  • Politico

Seems like only american outlets

or maybe the guardian is british

Edited by PurpleTree

On 11/10/2023 at 1:39 AM, DefinitelyNotARobot said:

@Leo Gura No Tucker Carlson? I'm disappointed... 😔

You can study the behavior of specific people to have a more nuanced understanding of how systems work.

Zoom in, but don’t forget to also zoom out.

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

Max Blumenthal and Glenn Greenwald. They both call out both parties.

On 11/9/2023 at 9:43 PM, Leo Gura said:

I look at:

• CNN
  • MSNBC
  • Vox
  • Mother Jones
  • The Gaurdian
  • The Atlantic
  • NYT
  • New Yorker
  • Washington Post
  • AP News
  • Google News
  • The Verge
  • Ars Technica
  • Politico

Agreed, the diversity of sources is very important. Al Jazeera English and Democracy Now! are among other great sources. 

Edited by tranquillus

I have been surprised at how good Al Jazeera is.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura What? In the Israel-Hamas war, there is no more biased news source than they.

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

6 minutes ago, How to be wise said:

@Leo Gura What? In the Israel-Hamas war, there is no more biased news source than they.

It's difficult to be in the opposite end of the pole and still maintain a balance.

Al Jazeera is not a reliable news source if you seek a comprehensive and genuine understanding of any topic. It's biased not only in the way they cover stories and the narrative they adopt homogeneously, but also in what they choose to cover. They have a very low standard regarding fake news and reports. I watch it sometimes if I want to see their narrative on a matter, but I would never recommend it as a reliable high quality source.

@Archie I think there is no single news source that is sufficient. And It depends on your reason for watching the news. I am also interested in the sentiment of the whole spectrum of society regarding an issue. For that, I watch the entire spectrum, including sources I consider as less reliable. If it's for a casual catch-up on immediate news, you can use Google News. I suggest not attempting to find just one source even if you consider it as high quality. 

Edited by DawnC

2 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

They are just pro-Palestine, even pro-Hamas. They are in total denial of 0f 7/10. Their commentators and analysts were extremely gleeful when it happened. 

4 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

my biggest fear that leo one day gonna say, there is no god but Allah xD LMAO

2 hours ago, Ash55 said:

my biggest fear that leo one day gonna say, there is no god but Allah xD LMAO

He is just surprised, he never said it's more or even equally reliable compared to other sources. Even I was initially surprised when I found Al Jazeera trying or acting hard to be neutral, knowing that it originated in Asia, especially middle East.