SQAAD

I Visited a Mormon Church Twice, Need Your Advice

30 posts in this topic

A few weeks ago, while I was strolling down the streets, two young men in their late twenties approached me. They came across as sincere individuals with no ulterior motives. Essentially, they extended an invitation to their church.

I've attended their church on two occasions now, and the experience has been positive. To start with, I find solace in prayer, believing in its positive impact. During my visits, I've familiarized myself with some of their scripture. While it contains elements that I consider questionable, there are also profound and truthful metaphors within it.

For instance, they discuss the idea of drawing nearer to God, which purportedly enhances one's life. My primary reasons for attending their church are for the sense of entertainment, spiritual fulfillment, and social interaction it offers.

However, I approach this with caution, recognizing that there's much I have yet to learn. I would greatly appreciate any advice or insights in this regard.

Edited by SQAAD

If it's a cult then you should leave immediately, and also watch Leo's videos on cult psychology, it is very useful.

Edited by Osaid

"God is not a conclusion, it is a sudden revelation. When you see a rose it is not that you go through a logical solipsism, "This is a rose, and roses are beautiful, so this must be beautiful." The moment you see it, the head stops spinning thoughts. On the contrary, your heart starts beating faster. It is something totally different from the idea of truth." -Osho

The same thing happened to me two years ago in Strasbourg, two strangely "sweet" guys who were in fact proselytizing for an evangelist church.

If you dont understand, you're not twisted enough.

1 hour ago, SQAAD said:

A few weeks ago, while I was strolling down the streets, two young men in their late twenties approached me. They came across as sincere individuals with no ulterior motives. Essentially, they extended an invitation to their church.

I've attended their church on two occasions now, and the experience has been positive. To start with, I find solace in prayer, believing in its positive impact. During my visits, I've familiarized myself with some of their scripture. While it contains elements that I consider questionable, there are also profound and truthful metaphors within it.

For instance, they discuss the idea of drawing nearer to God, which purportedly enhances one's life. My primary reasons for attending their church are for the sense of entertainment, spiritual fulfillment, and social interaction it offers.

However, I approach this with caution, recognizing that there's much I have yet to learn. I would greatly appreciate any advice or insights in this regard.

Its just an experience like anything else. Enjoy it. If it works for you it works for you. Who knows maybe you'll find a wife there LOL.

But if you want to know whether the Mormon church is going to take you to a deeper connection with God? No. There isn't a single religion currently created that will. Because the path to God is direct devotion within. I won't beat a dead horse on what that entails. But going to a Mormon church can be nice training wheels and the social connections there could last a life time....so why not? 

You are a selfless LACK OF APPEARANCE, that CONSTRUCTS AN APPEARANCE. But that appearance can disappear and reappear and we call that change, we call it time, we call it space, we call it distance, we call distinctness, we call it other. But notice...this appearance, is a SELF. A SELF IS A CONSTRUCTION!!! 

So if you want to know the TRUTH OF THE CONSTRUCTION. Just deconstruct the construction!!!! No point in playing these mind games!!! No point in creating needless complexity!!! The truth of what you are is a BLANK!!!! A selfless awareness....then that means there is NO OTHER, and everything you have ever perceived was JUST AN APPEARANCE, A MIRAGE, AN ILLUSION, IMAGINARY. 

Everything that appears....appears out of a lack of appearance/void/no-thing, non-sense (can't be sensed because there is nothing to sense). That is what you are, and what arises...is made of that. So nonexistence, arises/creates existence. And thus everything is solved.

Joining anything should be taken seriously.  This is your life.  Ask them probing question on what will be your duties and responsibilities.   I believe that in the Mormon church you are expected to give a portion of your income.   Loneliness is a big problem in our modern world, and these groups offer an opportunity for community.  But part of being in a community is you are expected to sacrifice something.  Those young men are carrying out duties expected of them, which is the reason they are talking to you.  Don’t rush into anything.  Ask a lot of questions and also ask your intuition.   If you join, form connections, and then decide it is not right for you, those connections will then be broken, and the departure could be traumatic.

Vincit omnia Veritas.

17 minutes ago, Jodistrict said:

Joining anything should be taken seriously. 

lmao

If you dont understand, you're not twisted enough.

Mormon boys/young men are taught from an early age that they have to go on an LDS mission in order to be a good Mormon. They go out for two years and talk to as many people as they can, out on streets and knocking on doors. So they do take converting and baptizing people seriously, their motive is to baptize you, even if they are genuine in helping you and helping your soul. I would be careful and not go to more social and community events, especially if you are feeling lonely. If you're invited and messaged repeatedly, just stay firm in your no. They are very sweet and friendly and will make you feel welcome, and have a strong sense of community. But they are also judgemental, dogmatic and lack critical thinking skills, and will pressure you into converting

Edited by Myioko

I was mormon for 26 years. Good moments bad epistemics. Since I started to prioritize direct experience no Father in Heaven will be enough for me. But anyway, the Whole Mórmon church and the members are also figments of consciousness so if you can cope with listening some non-sense here and there you will be fine. Plus, the girls are clean and sweet. 

Why are you wasting out time?

”I joined a cult, what do I do?” 

Well, if you joined a cult after being a student of Leo what’s there to say? You’re just goofing around. 

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

@Osaid

7 hours ago, Osaid said:

If it's a cult then you should leave immediately, and also watch Leo's videos on cult psychology, it is very useful.

So far i haven't experienced anything negative. If i see negative stuff i will leave of course. I have watched those videos but i may need to watch them again.

@Jodistrict

6 hours ago, Jodistrict said:

Joining anything should be taken seriously.  This is your life.  Ask them probing question on what will be your duties and responsibilities.   I believe that in the Mormon church you are expected to give a portion of your income.   Loneliness is a big problem in our modern world, and these groups offer an opportunity for community.  But part of being in a community is you are expected to sacrifice something.  Those young men are carrying out duties expected of them, which is the reason they are talking to you.  Don’t rush into anything.  Ask a lot of questions and also ask your intuition.   If you join, form connections, and then decide it is not right for you, those connections will then be broken, and the departure could be traumatic.

Very good advice. I have just visited their church twice and stayed with them for 1 hour each time. Nothing serious has happened yet.

They just showed me a video and some christian scriptures. They have not asked anything from me besided get baptized which i will ask them more questions about the next week i see them.

Edited by SQAAD

Mormons love it when you show up to their church dressed in a devil costume.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura

4 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Mormons love it when you show up to their church dressed in a devil costume.

You mean that you see it as devilry?

I just do it for the experience and social connection. If i see anything weird i will leave. I also wanna learn what they believe and understand their perspective.

Edited by SQAAD

@Thought Art

15 minutes ago, Thought Art said:

Why are you wasting out time?

”I joined a cult, what do I do?” 

Well, if you joined a cult after being a student of Leo what’s there to say? You’re just goofing around. 

I just want an experience. I didn't really join anything. I have just visited their church twice.

Edited by SQAAD

@Myioko

5 hours ago, Myioko said:

Mormon boys/young men are taught from an early age that they have to go on an LDS mission in order to be a good Mormon. They go out for two years and talk to as many people as they can, out on streets and knocking on doors. So they do take converting and baptizing people seriously, their motive is to baptize you, even if they are genuine in helping you and helping your soul. I would be careful and not go to more social and community events, especially if you are feeling lonely. If you're invited and messaged repeatedly, just stay firm in your no. They are very sweet and friendly and will make you feel welcome, and have a strong sense of community. But they are also judgemental, dogmatic and lack critical thinking skills, and will pressure you into converting

If i see anything weird i won't visit their church again. I am not willing to do weird stuff. I do it just for the experience and social connection. I don't know much about their beliefs and motives yet.

@PurpleTree

3 hours ago, PurpleTree said:

Can you have many wives now?

I don't think they practice this nowadays.

I don't know much about their beliefs. Today i learned that they believe in some christian scriptures and doing good actions to reach God.

Edited by SQAAD

You will be brainwashed by them into total believing of that stuff, which is ideology. And all ideology is bad on a fundamental level.

You will be one of those obsessed god fearing individuals who know every verse from their bible, trying to convert everyone you know, knowing no freedom for the cost of being part of a religious community.

I wouldn't be surprised if any of them invited you to a secret orgy or tried to convince you on the idea that polygamy is a great thing.

I would love to do the experiment of study religious and visit them just for the sake of study. I’ve met once someone at a buddhist temple and she was doing that and I liked the idea. Responding to this thread, STAY OPEN MINDED! Don’t limit yourself. ;)