Javfly33

I need an alternative to sugary drinks

63 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Osaid said:

Coconut water? Simple. Can buy in bulk. Natural electrolyte drink.

Yeah but most of the store bought, boxed, canned or bottled are processed and filled with other stuff. Check the labelling. Vita CoCo is one of the more popular brands here in the US and I stay away from it. I just buy the real coconut and drink the juice straight from the coconut. Matter of fact I stay away from all store-bought juices. I just drink Kombucha, water and Knudsen's brand juices. Once in a while ginger ale if kombucha isn't available.

Thought = Time. Without thought there's no time.

17 hours ago, Princess Arabia said:

Can I have some to clean my pipes and toilet. It makes for a good rust remover too.

It's just CO2, stomach acid is much more abrasive.
Coca cola will not be harmful at all unless you drink liters of it daily. 

Yum :)

If you dont understand, you're not twisted enough.

Just now, Schizophonia said:

It's just CO2, stomach acid is much more abrasive.
Coca cola will not be harmful at all unless you drink liters of it daily. 

Yum :)

Ok suit yourself. Doesn't matter. It's not your will anyway. You just think it is.

11 hours ago, Osaid said:

Coconut water? Simple. Can buy in bulk. Natural electrolyte drink.

coconut water mixed with lemonade is a low-cost beverage staple of mine, can be a 2:1 ratio or even 4:1

3 hours ago, Bazooka Jesus said:

It should be mentioned that the quality of coconut water can also greatly vary according to the brand. During my time in Raval I used to buy it at one of those Pakistani shops, and I remember that they had two different types... one really good, one really crappy. So, buyer beware. ;)

100% 

Depending on the brand, you will get a completely different taste and nutritional profile (sugar and potassium will vary a lot)

Best brands IMO are Thirsty Buddha, Thirsty Buddha Organic (probably the healthiest, high potassium low sugar), Blue Monkey, Taste Nirvana (tastes the best)

You just wanna find one that is not from concentrate and has nothing added to it, can't really go wrong with those

"God is not a conclusion, it is a sudden revelation. When you see a rose it is not that you go through a logical solipsism, "This is a rose, and roses are beautiful, so this must be beautiful." The moment you see it, the head stops spinning thoughts. On the contrary, your heart starts beating faster. It is something totally different from the idea of truth." -Osho

I'm not sure the body needs processed sugar. It's more like an addiction for most of us.

You could try homemade black iced tea. Obviously it won't taste as good as commercial drinks but tea is one of the healthiest beverages along with water and coffee.

Edited by UnbornTao

1 hour ago, Princess Arabia said:

Yeah but most of the store bought, boxed, canned or bottled are processed and filled with other stuff. Check the labelling. Vita CoCo is one of the more popular brands here in the US and I stay away from it. I just buy the real coconut and drink the juice straight from the coconut. Matter of fact I stay away from all store-bought juices. I just drink Kombucha, water and Knudsen's brand juices. Once in a while ginger ale if kombucha isn't available.

Vita Coco I wouldn't even consider coconut water because of the added sugar and acidity, it has a very odd flavour profile for sure. It's very tangy because of the added vitamin C.

"God is not a conclusion, it is a sudden revelation. When you see a rose it is not that you go through a logical solipsism, "This is a rose, and roses are beautiful, so this must be beautiful." The moment you see it, the head stops spinning thoughts. On the contrary, your heart starts beating faster. It is something totally different from the idea of truth." -Osho

1 minute ago, Osaid said:

Vita Coco I wouldn't even consider coconut water because of the added sugar and acidity, it has a very odd flavour profile for sure. It's very tangy because of the added vitamin C.

They're promoting it as such, tho. I don't fall for half of these marketing tricks. So much deception. Food Babe - Vani Hari, is a good person to follow on nutrition. She's really good and now she has an Internet store called TRUVANI, i bought her turmeric pills once, I only bought it from her because I trust her brand, as I don't normally trust nutrients in pill form. You have to Google her, tho, not Youtube. She has a wide variety of useful information on her blog when it comes to food and nutrition. Check her out.

3 hours ago, Princess Arabia said:

Ok suit yourself. Doesn't matter. It's not your will anyway. You just think it is.

2 hours ago, Princess Arabia said:

They're promoting it as such, tho. I don't fall for half of these marketing tricks. So much deception. Food Babe - Vani Hari, is a good person to follow on nutrition. She's really good and now she has an Internet store called TRUVANI, i bought her turmeric pills once, I only bought it from her because I trust her brand, as I don't normally trust nutrients in pill form. You have to Google her, tho, not Youtube. She has a wide variety of useful information on her blog when it comes to food and nutrition. Check her out.

full.jpeg

Edited by Schizophonia

If you dont understand, you're not twisted enough.

6 hours ago, cjoseph90 said:

@bazooka Jesus i am cucurrently living in BCN, just out of curiosity which coconut waters are u refering to? The coconut waters in the bottle are the 'healthier ones' usually un the fridge.

I don't know the brand names any more... I just remember that they came in tetra packs? ?

I mean, I bought them from a dingy Pakistani shop in Raval. What can I say. Lol.

3 hours ago, Osaid said:

Best brands IMO are Thirsty Buddha, Thirsty Buddha Organic (probably the healthiest, high potassium low sugar), Blue Monkey, Taste Nirvana (tastes the best)

Thirsty Buddha? Lmao, love it. :D

Why so serious?

Why it gotta be liquid? Eat some fruit. It has 80% water in it.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

On 2023-08-24 at 5:17 AM, Bazooka Jesus said:

It should be mentioned that the quality of coconut water can also greatly vary according to the brand. During my time in Raval I used to buy it at one of those Pakistani shops, and I remember that they had two different types... one really good, one really crappy. So, buyer beware. ;)

But yeah, coconut water is probably the best natural energy drink in existence. And it's yummy as hell.

Yea, the quality is all over the place when it comes to prepackaged coconut water. IMO a lot of the western brands taste like crap (like dirty sock water or strangely soured) unless they're the expensive ones. Most of the Southeast Asian brands I've tried are at least reasonably good though!

trimd-coc-500x500.JPG

Straight from the shell like this is always really expensive where I live.

On 2023-08-24 at 8:49 AM, Osaid said:

Thirsty Buddha is the best Western brand I've tried! The price is pretty reasonable too.

Personally, I really like this Thai brand which is normally quite cheap:

41f2IIGNfnL._SR600,315_PIWhiteStrip,Bott

8 minutes ago, eos_nyxia said:

Personally, I really like this Thai brand which is normally quite cheap:

I can confirm that one is good too, I've seen it in the international section and tried it a few times. If you just find one that isn't from concentrate and has nothing added it pretty much always tastes decent.

23 minutes ago, eos_nyxia said:

They sell it at one of the popular supermarkets here and it comes with bamboo straw you just poke in (it comes with the top trimmed off slightly). I don't know if I was particularly thirsty that day but it was seriously a spiritual experience, one of the most refreshing things ever. Very sweet and coconutty. And actually not that expensive IME, about one dollar more than normal price.

Edited by Osaid

35 minutes ago, eos_nyxia said:

Yea, the quality is all over the place when it comes to prepackaged coconut water. IMO a lot of the western brands taste like crap (like dirty sock water or strangely soured) unless they're the expensive ones. Most of the Southeast Asian brands I've tried are at least reasonably good though!

trimd-coc-500x500.JPG

Love these. I use the meat to make coconut milk sometimes and use it to make curry chicken or in smoothies. Just add water and blend. Delish!

The #1 thing you could do to augment your antioxidant status and remain devoid of chronic disease into old age, in my strong opinion, is to drink a bit (~200mL) of 100% pomegranate juice per day. I drink 1 bottle (48 fl oz) per week and would submit that this is effectively buying yourself a form of health insurance (again, if there was only one change I could make to improve someone's health, it would be precisely this).

71im-Al7y6L.jpg

22 minutes ago, Jason Actualization said:

The #1 thing you could do to augment your antioxidant status and remain devoid of chronic disease into old age, in my strong opinion, is to drink a bit (~200mL) of 100% pomegranate juice per day. I drink 1 bottle (48 fl oz) per week and would submit that this is effectively buying yourself a form of health insurance (again, if there was only one change I could make to improve someone's health, it would be precisely this).

71im-Al7y6L.jpg

That's no good either, it you're looking for health benefits. I know you'll dispute that, but thought I'll still share. It's made from concentrate and it's not in the least bit worth the hype. Neither are the Naked drinks formerly owned by Pepsi Cola. A lot of these companies and fancy juices are not healthy, they just know how to market them. Take that for whatever it's worth.

I just buy the pomegranate, cut it in half and juice it with a citrus juicer. I also add grapefruit and oranges.

Edited by Princess Arabia