Jannes

How is intelligence and size of the brain interlinked?

39 posts in this topic

We should be doing the opposite of this: looking into making brains bigger. That will help with climate change.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura Do you think aliens genetically modified themselves and this is why they look so weird, big heads with big eyes (I am talking about the well-known stereotypical gray slender version of aliens)? They don't look like a traditional production of evolution unless they have a very different environment than on Earth. 

15 minutes ago, LSD-Rumi said:

@Leo Gura Do you think aliens genetically modified themselves and this is why they look so weird, big heads with big eyes (I am talking about the well-known stereotypical gray slender version of aliens)? They don't look like a traditional production of evolution unless they have a very different environment than on Earth. 

I would think that other creatures have very different intelligence and therefore very different forms of technology than we have. So I think it's unlikely that they used genetic manipulation, as manipulation is a very human like attribute. But maybe natural evolution. 

2 hours ago, LSD-Rumi said:

@Leo Gura Do you think aliens genetically modified themselves and this is why they look so weird

That would make sense.

But I expect any aliens to look weird by default.

Edited by Leo Gura

It is not about the size of the brain but the right neural connections.

Dolphins have bigger brains than humans, but humans on average are still more intelligent than dolphins. 

Why is that? One hypothesis is because humans have more cerebral capacity than dolphins. 

My theory is that intelligence is also associated with the body. The human body is more versatile and equipped for more intelligent things like hands to make things. A dolphin cannot make a 3D computer because it does not have the body to do so. But imagine if we gave dolphins artificial limbs to help them be able to have similar levels of intelligence as us.

Dolphins are more intelligent in terms of not polluting the earth and being friendly towards each other. Whereas humans have struggles with just co-existing amongst each other. It really depends on how you define intelligence because it is so nuanced.

All Teachers and Teachings are delusion. You have all the answers within you. The first step on the journey to Enlightenment is questioning all the beliefs and teachings you have ever received. Teachers/Teachings are a distraction/maya at the highest level. There comes a point where you need to trust in your own innate knowledge and derive your own insights into the nature of reality. Teachers make a living and lifestyle of selling you water by the river. You don’t need them. All you need is an insatiable desire for truth and then seriously contemplate reality and uncover all that is false. 

Wouldnt It be hilarious if we discovered an actual species of aliens and they literally looked like a pen1s? Sorry if you find this immmature ?

🗣️🗯️  personal dev Log Lyfe Journal 🗿🎭 ~ Raw , Emotional, Unfiltered

40 minutes ago, r0ckyreed said:

Dolphins are more intelligent in terms of not polluting the earth and being friendly towards each other. Whereas humans have struggles with just co-existing amongst each other. It really depends on how you define intelligence because it is so nuanced.

I think thats not true. Dolphins do some horrible shit sometimes. They just don't have the capabilities of destruction that humans have.

Dolphins not polluting the Earth has nothing to do with their intelligence.

Dolphins are also not friendly to each other. Dolphins rape each other and more.

Be ware of romanticizing animals. Animals behave in horrible ways on the regular.

Edited by Leo Gura

On 19/08/2023 at 1:04 PM, Jannes said:

There are many very intelligent animals on earth like parrots or ravens who have a small brain and pretty dumb animals with a big brain like crocodiles or ostriches. My question is, is it possible in theory to have a very very intelligent creature with a very small size? Analogous to how old computers are often huge but have relatively very little power and nowadays devices like the smartphone have x100 that power with :100 the size. I am asking because that could be a solution for climate change. With gene manipulation we could simply make ourselves shrink a shitton so we have a lot more resources on earth. 

How about the episode called How to Love? The point of "Loving a thing for what it is and not wanting it to change to satisfy one of our fantasy? 

9 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

We should be doing the opposite of this: looking into making brains bigger. That will help with climate change.

Well if the brains will get bigger the exist passage from where heads come out must enlarge too so we need to ask if that would be loving to women. But of course we dont need to make bigger brains physicaly but expand consciousness.

5 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

That would make sense.

But I expect any aliens to look weird by default.

Some say that Aliens already modified themselfs once and that is what our actual form is, a mix of whatever higher beings living here with the dna of the people from another place. 

14 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Be ware of romanticizing animals. Animals behave in horrible ways on the regular

Of course, life is basically war. kill to steal the other's energy and live. Based on this design, it is normal for humans to be the way we are. 

@Jannes It is not about absolute brain size, it is about relative neuron density, gyrification (amount of brain tissue folding), and the presence of certain brain regions (e.g. frontal neocortex in humans, allowing for rational decision-making etc.)

On 8/20/2023 at 5:52 PM, mmKay said:

Wouldnt It be hilarious if we discovered an actual species of aliens and they literally looked like a pen1s? Sorry if you find this immmature ?

?

Be-Do-Have

You have to play the cards you're dealt

There is no failure, only feedback

Since space is infinite theoretically we could shrink your body down to ant size. Do you think it would effect your intelligence?

Interesting idea of shrinking everyone.

I have also had this idea, though, that if everyone just started eating more healthily and consciously, the load on the environment would simply dissipate naturally. Like, Imagine if no one wanted to use unhealthy plastics anymore, or if no one cared about eating tubs of ice cream anymore.

"God is not a conclusion, it is a sudden revelation. When you see a rose it is not that you go through a logical solipsism, "This is a rose, and roses are beautiful, so this must be beautiful." The moment you see it, the head stops spinning thoughts. On the contrary, your heart starts beating faster. It is something totally different from the idea of truth." -Osho

11 hours ago, Hojo said:

Since space is infinite theoretically we could shrink your body down to ant size.

No, you can't because many properties of physics only work at certain scales and not others.

If you notice, the nervous system of small creatures operates differently than that of large creatures because within a large creature it takes longer for nerves to conduct signals because they are much longer. Which is why an elephant's reaction time is so much slower than a fly's.

Edited by Leo Gura

Collective intelligence:

Edited by TheAlchemist

"Only that which can change can continue."

-James P. Carse

It is not just the size of the Brian. What is equally important is a well balanced and interconnected brain regions and parts. Some people just have more connections in their brain. I’m such a person and people always get flabbergasted by all the links I can make.