thenondualtankie

What is the solution to the culture wars?

21 posts in this topic

This seems to be basically the main issue in Western countries these days. When I say "culture wars", I'm just talking about the polarization we've been seeing over identity issues, e.g. LGBTQ issues.

I feel like it's such a massive waste of energy though. Why is the right wing so obsessed with the culture wars? All the bigger problems of society go right over their heads when the only thing they think about is their problems with the trans movement.

At the same time I do believe the left needs to make some concessions to the right somehow. For example with the recent SCOTUS decision on affirmative action. I think anyone left-leaning and with a brain should immediately join the majority of the American population and support this decision. I also want to say that maybe the LGBTQ movement needs to quieten down a little bit. But I deeply empathize with why they are so loud: they were suppressed for decades and centuries. Now they're barely able to come out. So of course they will be "aggressive" about it.

No idea. What will the ultimate solution to this be? I think ultimately, the older generation will die away, and the current progressives will largely become the new norm.

Oh... I don't know. I am really unplugged from social media and really don't  encounter it in my real life. Soo... Be more like me I guess ?

Edited by Ajax

What you resist, persists and less of you exists. There is a part of you that never leaves. You are not in; you have never been. You know. You put it there and time stretches. 

3 hours ago, Ajax said:

Oh... I don't know. I am really unplugged from social media and really don't  encounter it in my real life. Soo... Be more like me I guess ?

Lmao maybe that's true. It's just so easy to argue online, so everyone does it. Just look at this forum ???

The solution to war is war.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

4 hours ago, Ajax said:

I kinda agree with you, if you didn't consume any culture war content for a year and used the extra time for real life pursuits, I can't see how your life wouldn't be better. As far as I can see the culture literally only affects those that engage with it. In your day to day life it would be very rare for you to encounter anything like what happens online. 

The dynamic will always exist because you'll always have a new generation that wants to do things differently and an older generation that wants to keep things the same, that is how we are able to evolve, it's probably not fun for the older generation but it is what it is. Probably if we can teach people to be more adaptable and not put their identities around these things then transitions could be smoother. 

6 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

5 hours ago, Bobby_2021 said:

More wars. Escalate. Accelerationism FTW. 

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

12 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

I do believe in the need in fighting the good fight and the need for a benevolent monopoly of force, but what about some diplomacy?

I'm not sure.

More weapons or more kisses.

The LGBTQIA+ wars will fade as we evolve. Possibly in 15 to 20 years 10% of the population will be at tier 2 and this silliness will fade, but anything could happen.

Mass awakening but that ain't happening any time soon..

I am Lord of Heaven, Second Coming of Jesus Christ. ❣ Warning: nobody here has reached the true God.

┊ ┊⋆ ┊ . ♪ 星空のディスタンス ♫┆彡 what are you dreaming today?

天国が来る | 私は道であり、真実であり、命であり。

46 minutes ago, puporing said:

Mass awakening but that ain't happening any time soon..

Mass awakening bout to happen when Leo releases his new course, but there are no promises to that either :P

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

Being defined is being confined. Let go of the labels. 

On 7/6/2023 at 2:32 PM, Hardkill said:

but what about some diplomacy?

Haven't we tried that?

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

Haven't we tried that?

Well, it has been tried, but didn't you say that going to war only makes conflict or gridlock worse and further divides people?

Edited by Hardkill

4 hours ago, Hardkill said:

but didn't you say that going to war only makes conflict or gridlock worse and further divides people?

That's only a half-truth.

The other half of the truth is that war solves all problems.

;)

Edited by Leo Gura

Lol, I read some news that Democrats are moving to blue states and Republicans are moving to red states.

Civil war 2.0 might be coming...

57 minutes ago, thenondualtankie said:

Lol, I read some news that Democrats are moving to blue states and Republicans are moving to red states.

Americans are too fat to maintain a civil war for a long time. After a while, they will give up ideals for having Netflix and KFC back.

@Leo Gura @thenondualtankie

On 2023-07-06 at 0:05 AM, thenondualtankie said:

This seems to be basically the main issue in Western countries these days. When I say "culture wars", I'm just talking about the polarization we've been seeing over identity issues, e.g. LGBTQ issues.

I feel like it's such a massive waste of energy though. Why is the right wing so obsessed with the culture wars? All the bigger problems of society go right over their heads when the only thing they think about is their problems with the trans movement.

At the same time I do believe the left needs to make some concessions to the right somehow. For example with the recent SCOTUS decision on affirmative action. I think anyone left-leaning and with a brain should immediately join the majority of the American population and support this decision. I also want to say that maybe the LGBTQ movement needs to quieten down a little bit. But I deeply empathize with why they are so loud: they were suppressed for decades and centuries. Now they're barely able to come out. So of course they will be "aggressive" about it.

No idea. What will the ultimate solution to this be? I think ultimately, the older generation will die away, and the current progressives will largely become the new norm.

On 2023-07-06 at 10:05 AM, Leo Gura said:

Reminds me of another context to this problem:

What's the solution to starting a camp fire faster? Me: MORE FRICTION!!?

Keep in mind every problem is half solved, as it's on a spectrum.

4 hours ago, thenondualtankie said:

Not entirely true. In fact....

Arizona which used to be a red for decades has become purple and increasingly turning blue. Former confederates including which used to be deep red states including Georgia, Texas, and North Carolina are either on their way towards being purple states or have now become purple and are now on there way towards becoming blue states. Even with Florida, which has been heavily influenced by Trump and DeSantis for a long while, I don't think that state will continue to be solid red forever. Several years from now, extreme right-wingers such as those two will eventually lose their great influence over Floridians given how radical Republican leaders like them have become. Furthermore, while it still is surprising in some ways that Florida has become a solid red state, look at its demographics. Florida has one of the most racially/ethnically diverse states in the country. It is one of the wealthiest states in the country. It is one of the largest and one of the most densely populated states in the country. It's state has an above average educated/forward-thinking population per capita compared to most other states. It also doesn't have nearly as large of a percentage of socially conservative christians as almost every other southern and midwestern state in the entire Bible belt region of the country does (except to a very small portion of Illinois). Therefore, Florida already has had most of the characteristics of what makes a blue state.

Edited by Hardkill