Someone here

Epistemological solipsism is true

66 posts in this topic

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epistemological_solipsism#:~:text=Solipsism in its weak form,principle in an empirical manner.

This is the Wikipedia page on Epistemological solipsism. Give it a read .

I agree with the definition. 

One can only be sure of the existence of his own mind . Other minds are not necessarily rejected but they cannot be known for certain. 

So to frame solipsism as "I'm the only mind that exists and all other minds don't exist " as a definitive claim is false and I don't agree with .

To frame it as "I'm the only certain mind that exists and other minds cannot be known " is a claim that I agree with .

I hope you guys can see the subtle difference here .

Edited by Someone here

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

What difference does it make when in the end there's only one mind/thing? If you experienced the POV of every person on the planet at the same time it would still be just one POV... the illusion would fall off. The ego is not real so there's nobody to begin with. Just impersonal reality.

6 minutes ago, michaelcycle00 said:

What difference does it make when in the end there's only one mind/thing?

That’s the point ..you actually don't know that . You know your own mind exist .but you don't know if other minds exist.  It seems convenient to assume other minds don't exist because you can't experience them. But that in itself doesn't mean they don't exist .it just means you have no access to them..and they will forever remain a mystery. Nothing more .nothing less .

8 minutes ago, michaelcycle00 said:

If you experienced the POV of every person on the planet at the same time it would still be just one POV

How would you experience every POV and still call it one POV?  Either there is only one POV or there are 8 billion POVs. What seems likely more true is that there are 8 billion POVs. Again you don't even know if the characters in a nightly dream are real or have mind of their own. So how much of an unjustified Epistemological jump to assume that other minds don't exist? The truth with all honesty is that you don't know. So as i 

12 minutes ago, michaelcycle00 said:

the illusion would fall off. The ego is not real so there's nobody to begin with. Just impersonal reality.

I agree. 

-Osho

I hope so much that you can access 5 meo in your life to see for yourself whats all about solipsism. But contemplating it a lot helps also for sure. 

You dont know because you are not conscious enough to know. Keep the possibility open that it is possible to know if you are infinite times more conscious 

Edited by OBEler

4 minutes ago, OBEler said:

I hope so much that you can access 5 meo in your life to see for yourself whats all about solipsism. But contemplating it a lot helps also for sure. 

You dont know because you are not conscious enough to know. Keep the possibility open that it is possible to know if you are infinite times more conscious 

Thanks brother. 

-Osho

What does it even mean for something to exist that cannot be perceived or observed?

There is a China Teapot that is floating around Earth right now. But you cannot perceive it at all. How is that any different than there being no teapot at all? 

If you cannot observe the consciousness of your girlfriend, what difference is there? How is that speculation/inference any different than an Invisible God or the China Teapot?

You are just not conscious of Absolute Solipsism.

Edited by r0ckyreed

All Teachers and Teachings are delusion. You have all the answers within you. The first step on the journey to Enlightenment is questioning all the beliefs and teachings you have ever received. Teachers/Teachings are a distraction/maya at the highest level. There comes a point where you need to trust in your own innate knowledge and derive your own insights into the nature of reality. Teachers make a living and lifestyle of selling you water by the river. You don’t need them. All you need is an insatiable desire for truth and then seriously contemplate reality and uncover all that is false. 

2 minutes ago, r0ckyreed said:

What does it even mean for something to exist that cannot be perceived or observed?

If a supernova explosion happens in the edge of the universe..and no one observed it ..can we say it happend ?

If a tree falls in the woods and there is no one to hear it..does it make a sound? 

The problem with these kinds of questions is the assumption that what is not directly perceived via consciousness doesn't exist . But that's just an assumption.  The honest opinion is we don't know .and that's  what Epistemological Solipsism claims .it doesn't say definitely there is nothing outside of your consciousness .but your own consciousness is the only certain thing you know .that's indubitably true  

6 minutes ago, r0ckyreed said:

There is a China Teapot that is floating around Earth right now. But you cannot perceive it at all. How is that any different than there being no teapot at all? 

You just answered your question.  It either exists or it doesn't. Being perceived or not has nothing to do with its existence. Unless you equate existence and perception. Which you should provide evidence for. 

8 minutes ago, r0ckyreed said:

If you cannot observe the consciousness of another, what difference is there? How is that speculation/inference any different than an Invisible God or the China Teapot?

Same answe as above .

9 minutes ago, r0ckyreed said:

You are just not conscious of Absolute Solipsism.

Yeah I'm not. 

-Osho

Do you realize space is illusory ? 

There is no space for other minds 

There is no space for some parallel plane or whatever 

No space, no time, nothing but you/this/here/now

1 hour ago, Someone here said:

To frame it as "I'm the only certain mind that exists and other minds cannot be known " is a claim that I agree with .

Direct realization dissolves the "I" that thinks it exists. Apparent boundaries fade, and awareness is within and beyond everything. There's still the bare portal of a perspective, but instead of identifying as a person, the absolute sees the portal as a window to its imagination.

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.

2 hours ago, Someone here said:

If a supernova explosion happens in the edge of the universe..and no one observed it ..can we say it happend ?

There is no edge of the Universe. The Universe is your experience. A supernova is your experience. You imagining a supernova is also your experience. You cannot get past consciousness.

If a tree falls in the woods and there is no one to hear it..does it make a sound? 

The problem with these kinds of questions is the assumption that what is not directly perceived via consciousness doesn't exist . But that's just an assumption.  The honest opinion is we don't know .and that's  what Epistemological Solipsism claims .it doesn't say definitely there is nothing outside of your consciousness .but your own consciousness is the only certain thing you know .that's indubitably true  

The question already assumes that a tree and forest exist without being perceived; therefore, a sound exists without being heard by the mere logic of the question. If X exists without being seen, then Y exists without being heard because Y always follows X. That is the logic.

The assumption isn't that what is not direct perceived doesn't exist. It is that there is stuff that exists that cannot be perceived.

Sound by its mere definition is a perception! If you cannot perceive sound, then sound does not exist. Soundwaves may still exist if you can perceive them, but the qualia of sound won't. 

You can only know through Consciousness!! 

You just answered your question.  It either exists or it doesn't. Being perceived or not has nothing to do with its existence. Unless you equate existence and perception. Which you should provide evidence for. 

The teapot will exist as consciousness. Whether the teapot is consciousness in matter form or idea is the question. But a teapot without form is a teapot that does not exist because the definition of a teapot is something that is observable and has definition and emptiness to it. Things exist as they are imagined to exist. A teapot that does not hold tea is not a teapot. A room with no space and walls is no longer a room.

Being perceived has everything to do with existence. If you cannot perceive colors, they cease to exist. If you cannot perceive sounds, music ceases to exist. Everything that you associate with existence is a perception!! You could think of death as the cessation of all perception/experience. That's what you really fear.

Now, what is the evidence that perception = reality? Well, that is a contradiction because all evidence is going to be a perception! Perception is more fundamental than evidence. Evidence is an idea and is completely subjective and occurring within one's own perceptions! Consciousness is your evidence. ;) 

Same answe as above .

Exactly. The inference of the consciousness of another is the same as if there was no other consciousness. There is only ONE Experience happening.

Instead of claiming there is an invisible china teapot that cannot be observed, the simplest explanation is saying there is no teapot at all. The same applies to the inference of other minds. Rather than making claims that there are other consciousnesses that cannot be observed, just stick to the basic facts that Perception is Reality. 

Edited by r0ckyreed

All Teachers and Teachings are delusion. You have all the answers within you. The first step on the journey to Enlightenment is questioning all the beliefs and teachings you have ever received. Teachers/Teachings are a distraction/maya at the highest level. There comes a point where you need to trust in your own innate knowledge and derive your own insights into the nature of reality. Teachers make a living and lifestyle of selling you water by the river. You don’t need them. All you need is an insatiable desire for truth and then seriously contemplate reality and uncover all that is false. 

Good god... Solipsism is a P.O.I.N.T.E.R. There, I literally spelled it out for you.

"Don't mistake the finger pointing to the moon for the f***ing moon."

- Old Zen Saying -

Why so serious?

Here's a little something that I wrote earlier today on another thread:

2 minutes ago, Bazooka Jesus said:

Look, it's really simple. (I know, the mind LOVES to complicate all this stuff, but bear with me...) - Reality is what you perceive. In other words, it's all the stuff that you see, hear, feel, smell, taste or register as a thought. And that is all that there is to reality. So it's not a mirage, it's not illusion, it not a dream; it is that which exists, period. And there isn't any "under the surface" stuff hidden somewhere behind the scenes; reality is one layer deep. (There is also no first or second order of reality... you either perceive something or you don't, so either it exists or it doesn't. There is nothing in between!) However, there is the totality of reality; and that totality is what people refer to as God, Consciousness, what have you. 

So, is Solipsism real? Of course it is... as a thought that you perceive. But that is the only kind of reality that Solipsism can claim; it exists as a mental concept, and apart from that, it has no reality whatsoever. Just like your elephants have no reality except as a thought that is popping up right here, right now. 

"But what about all the stuff that could exist but doesn't?" Well, the fact that it doesn't exist means that it couldn't exist, plain and simple. Of course, if you imagine something, that something takes on the form of a thought and that thought immediately becomes a part of reality. If you however suppose that there might be some kind of alternative version of reality which could exist instead of the version that does in fact exist, you are supposing the existence of something that is non-existent. See what I mean?

Why so serious?

Absolute Solipsism is true.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Absolute Bullshit is true ;)

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

2 hours ago, Enlightement said:

I try to avoid the word solipsism as much as possible. 

Why?

In the Vast Expanse everything that arises is Lively Awakened Awareness.

@Arthogaan It would mean the end of the character that believes it was doing something this whole time.

Name me one person on this planet who isn’t avoiding something. 

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

3 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Absolute Solipsism is true.

How does this go with the infinity of gods realisation? Both are true?

softly into the Abyss...

4 hours ago, Intraplanetary said:

How does this go with the infinity of gods realisation? Both are true?

I believe he reconciles this at the 3/4 of the infinity of gods video, by saying something along the lines of: but of course ultimatelly all of that is hapenning in my imagination so Solipsism is true.

In the Vast Expanse everything that arises is Lively Awakened Awareness.

14 hours ago, Someone here said:

That classic formulation is incorrect. It implies that a person is needed watching the falling tree. the falling tree and the person watching are an experience that is occurring. there can be an experience that is only the tree falling, since you are the tree, and the fact of falling. You are the experience,  It is very simple. but here there is something much more complicated: there are no limits, therefore, right now there is experience of everything. there are infinite trees and infinite supernova and infinite everything. where is? If you are the consciousness that creates the experience, where is the experience that was yesterday? If the absolute reality is now, where are the trees falling? in the future, in the past? that's a mind creation