Blackjack38

Cant Develop a Reading Habit - What to Do?

18 posts in this topic

I am very depressed for a long time. Today I came up with the idea of developing a reading habit. I set some rules: 5 days a week at least, 30 miutes a day at least. I just started but got unmotivated instantly. What can I do to make reading a habit that it will be a source of satisfaction in my life?

Read something cool that you actually care about. If you buy the book, that puts more of a commitment on you since you've paid for it. Maybe set the reading time to like 5 or 10 minutes, you'll naturally read for much longer than that anyways. If you put a time that's somewhat hard for you to achieve I think it might suck the soul out of the activity. You don't want it to be too robotic so that you stop at exactly 30 minutes every time, you want authenticity and spontaneity, so having a shorter time that you can easily fly by will allow some flexibility. You don't wanna look at it as "something I'm doing for personal development", you wanna look at it as "I'm gonna check out this book and see what it is about." It's something you're doing out of your own personal interest, it's in your control.

Make an entire ritual out of it as well. Figure out some spot where you will read. Maybe make some tea or something to go with it.

"God is not a conclusion, it is a sudden revelation. When you see a rose it is not that you go through a logical solipsism, 'This is a rose, and roses are beautiful, so this must be beautiful.' The moment you see it, the head stops running thoughts. On the contrary, your heart starts running. It is something totally different from the idea of truth." -Osho

Make a strong commitment, commit to read daily until you die.

For the first month, track your progress, then it will be easy, let reading become a spontaneous activity afterwards.

Also, read stuff you are interested in.

2 hours ago, Blackjack38 said:

I am very depressed for a long time. Today I came up with the idea of developing a reading habit. I set some rules: 5 days a week at least, 30 miutes a day at least. I just started but got unmotivated instantly. What can I do to make reading a habit that it will be a source of satisfaction in my life?

Maybe you should work on something else like doing sport before that? IDK when I was depressed I would propose the same goal and I led me further down the path when I should go out to socialize, work through problems and adress my fears head on... not to read another book..

To answer your question: go to bed one hour early with a book, put you phone charging somewhere else. You'll likely get tired earlier with this method. Just don't read too exiting things, stop after the hour. I remember reading instead of sleeping to be fresh for school or uni... hehe

Edited by supremeyingyang

@Blackjack38 Imo, you need to start working on alleviating the depression from your mind. Otherwise, I imagine the same stop-start patterns will persist.

Can do things like concentration practices (samadhi meditation), vipassana meditation, and experiential therapies like gestalt, somatic experiencing and IFS (therapies that really get you working with processing deep emotions). Whatever comes up for you during these practices is okay, imo.

Edited by Ulax
Grammar

Be-Do-Have

Made it out the inner hood

There is no failure, only feedback

First off, it's great that you want to read for 30 minutes a day, but maybe try starting with just 10 minutes. Baby steps, right? Once you're comfortable, you can slowly increase the time.

Choosing the right books can make all the difference. Find something that really grabs your attention, so you'll actually look forward to reading.

Setting up a cozy reading nook might help, too. Curl up with a blanket, a cup of tea, or whatever makes you feel relaxed. Making it enjoyable helps

As for making it a habit, try to read at the same time every day, so it becomes part of your routine. You know, like brushing your teeth

You can also join a book club, or community those can really be motivating

Edited by Jacob Morres

Go to a cafe once a day, get out of the house and just bring the book, some tunes and a timer ⏱  on the phone 

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

The key is to connect this goal with a much larger vision for your life, and then to actually allow yourself to enjoy the process.

Read topics that really excite you.

It's hard to do anything when you're really depressed, so perhaps you need to address that issue first before you try to build habits.

What has you so depressed for so long??

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Set a fixed time during the day where you can focus only on reading, without any distractions from other people or daily tasks. Also remove all digital devices, so there's no temptation.

On 3/25/2023 at 3:07 PM, Blackjack38 said:

Understand your depression and then come up with ideas.

Edited by Understander

if you can't do 30 do 15. If you can't do 15 do 5. if you can't do 5 do a page.

The road to God is paved with bliss.

Or, read a book like: 

There is a Way Out by Vernon Howard or Warrior of Light by Paulo Coehlo 

These books are Amal bite sized chunks of wisdom. 

Other good ones like this are:

Daily Laws by Robert Green

Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff by ?

These books are little bite sized books where you can read a single page to get the whole idea. They are also easy to finish and add to a feeling of satisfaction when you read the book.

Start with small short books, that are fun l, satisfying and interesting, that each day you read it inspires you. 

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

On 25.03.2023 at 2:23 PM, Osaid said:

Read something cool that you actually care about. If you buy the book, that puts more of a commitment on you since you've paid for it. Maybe set the reading time to like 5 or 10 minutes, you'll naturally read for much longer than that anyways. If you put a time that's somewhat hard for you to achieve I think it might suck the soul out of the activity. You don't want it to be too robotic so that you stop at exactly 30 minutes every time, you want authenticity and spontaneity, so having a shorter time that you can easily fly by will allow some flexibility. You don't wanna look at it as "something I'm doing for personal development", you wanna look at it as "I'm gonna check out this book and see what it is about." It's something you're doing out of your own personal interest, it's in your control.

Make an entire ritual out of it as well. Figure out some spot where you will read. Maybe make some tea or something to go with it.

Thanks, advice comes as you hallucinated reading while writing this :)

Another nice way to trick your mind into liking new habits is combine it with something you enjoy. For example, if you like to have a cup of coffee or tea in the morning, read while you are having your drink from now on. Overtime your brain will enjoy the coffee as well as the reading that comes with it.

the alternative to this is, have the little habit you enjoy AFTER the reading, as a reward mechanism for your brain.

Hey, first off, I’m sorry that you’re feeling depressed. I know that feeling very well. 

I personally have learned that the way I process information and interact with the world is not like neurotypical folks (I’m on the autism spectrum). I’ve tried, and well-intentioned others have tried, to make me learn and do things like everyone else; that ultimately created a lot of suffering and worsening of my mental health conditions.

Now that I’ve been learning more about myself at ever deeper levels these past few years, life is starting to become a lot more natural and enjoyable. 

I wish you the best, and I know you can overcome your limitations. I’m a living example that it’s possible - and I’m only going to keep improving myself.

"Wisdom is not in knowing all the answers, but in seeking the right questions." -Gemini AI

I’d be more concerned with your depression. Is there a major career, lifestyle, or social-life change that God is asking you to make?