Leo Gura

Notice: Please Use The Ignore User Function

24 posts in this topic

To reduce hostility and friction between members here, please remember that there is an "Ignore User" function in your profile Control Panel. Click on your username in the top right corner of the screen, then scroll down to Ignored Users and input usernames to your liking.

Use this feature to block posts and messages from people who annoy you or who you feel are not contributing anything productive to your forum experience. There is no penalty for using this feature. If you block your top 10 most annoying and unproductive members on this forum things will go a lot smoother for everyone. You can block half the forum if you like and create a very clean experience for yourself.

Do not publicly brag that you blocked someone. Just use the feature silently. This is not a weapon to use to troll others, this is just a way to keep your screen clean of drama.

Note to Mods: You should not be ignoring people because it is your job to keep your eyes on the drama. Lucky you! ;)

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

3 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Do not tell people you blocked them. Just be silent about it. This is not a weapon to use to troll others, this is just a way to keep yourself screen clean.

Noted

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

2 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Do not tell people you blocked them. Just be silent about it to reduce fighting.

This, same for those who use the report function, don't announce reports or publicly beg mods to moderate for you. It's toxic all-around and only contributes to the petty drama

“We have two ears and one mouth so we can listen twice as much as we speak." -Epictetus

There's a problem. If you block a person who writes something personally nasty to you and continues to do that even when you don't respond to them, why can't there be a mutual blocking option where the moderator let's the person to use the block function as well. 

It seems a bit unfair that one person A uses the block function meanwhile the the other annoying User B  constantly passes personal remarks against user A throughout the forum with no consequences to that behavior. 

Blocking needs to be made mutual. 

♡✸♡.

Be careful being too demanding in relationships. Relate to the person at the level they are at, not where you need them to be.

You have to get out of the kitchen where Tate's energy exists ~ Tyler Robinson 

35 minutes ago, Tyler Robinson said:

Yeah, but then wouldn't be the possibility of forgiveness...

"I believe you are more afraid of condemning me to the stake than for me to receive your cruel and disproportionate punishment."

- Giordano Bruno, Campo de' Fiori, Rome, Italy. February 17th, 1600.

Cosmic pluralist, mathematician and poet.

I was pleased to find this feature a while back. 

I forgive my past, I release the future, and I honor how I feel in the present. 

1 hour ago, Tyler Robinson said:

Don't wish for the world to be easier, wish for yourself to be stronger.

Edited by Leo Gura

2 minutes ago, Judy2 said:

@Leo Gura Leo, can we get an ignore function for individual threads? 

just throwing this out there....i know technically the answer could be "just don't look" but the same applies to triggering posts by individual users.

The software has no such feature.

Few threads stay up for long enough to make such a feature meaningful. Those that do are usually of higher quality.

Edited by Leo Gura

8 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

To reduce hostility and friction between members here, please remember that there is an "Ignore User" function in your profile Control Panel. Click on your username in the top right corner of the screen, then scroll down to Ignored Users and input usernames to your liking.

Use this feature to block posts and messages from people who annoy you or who you feel are not contributing anything productive to your forum experience. There is no penalty for using this feature. If you block your top 10 most annoying and unproductive members on this forum things will go a lot smoother for everyone. You can block half the forum if you like and create a very clean experience for yourself.

Do not publicly brag that you blocked someone. Just use the feature silently. This is not a weapon to use to troll others, this is just a way to keep your screen clean of drama.

Note to Mods: You should not be ignoring people because it is your job to keep your eyes on the drama. Lucky you! ;)

Pls don't block me Leo. Jk, good job at reminding this.

I've used it a few times, but I've found there are some issues with it:

• You still see posts from the user you've ignored if they're quoted by someone else
  • It's very easy to just override the ignore function because every post from an ignored person has a little button to show it. Sometimes that entices me to give the benefit of the doubt to someone I've ignored
  • You still see people replying to ignored users

The first and last points aren't really solvable I suppose, but maybe there is some configuration available to fix the middle one?

I like the ignore function but it doesn't totally isolate you from users you want to ignore. It's a start I suppose

The only scenario that I can imagine myself using such features would be if there were a number of constant trolls and/or spammers, which luckily isn't the case. It's a useless feature, to be honest, especially at this scale. This forum has only like a couple dozens of regular users. The rest are occasional guests. I think this feature should be disabled until the regulars are 3 figures at least.

Foolish until proven other-wise ;)

4 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

The software has no such feature.

Few threads stay up for long enough to make such a feature meaningful. Those that do are usually of higher quality.

Is it possible to group certain sub forums and hide them? I’d like to hide the spirituality, psychedelics and mental health sections.

28 minutes ago, Thought Art said:

I’ve blocked some people in the past. 

After reading this is finally decided to block someone who is very active, though very neurotic and really drains my experience on the forum. However, I notice I can still see their quotes and threads. I guess it’s something at least. 

Are you referring to me? 

♡✸♡.

Be careful being too demanding in relationships. Relate to the person at the level they are at, not where you need them to be.

People should learn to take accountability on who they choose to ignore. 

♡✸♡.

There needs to be stricter moderation imo I think ur a bit lenient leo. Some people here who haven't been banned yet need to be banned

Edited by Jacob Morres

@Leo Gura you say that you want to reduce the hostility on the forum. And you say that users better not publicly brag about ignoring and blocking people.

Then why is calling for the ban of other users considered not hostile? 

You can see the user above asking members  here to be banned. How are such statements not adding to hostility? 

Why is it okay to publicly call for other's ban and isn't that provoking? How is that not adding to drama and friction? 

You need to discipline users who constantly call for the banning of other users(like the user above @Jacob Morres) . It really creates a very hostile situation. 

Imagine coming to the forum and everytime someone keeps whining that you should be banned and that you don't deserve to be here. Do you think it is okay? 

IMG_20230112_064557.jpg

IMG_20230112_064616.jpg

If your goal is to create peace on the forum, please outlaw this practice of constantly begging for other's ban. Tell users not to do this. It's not about annoyance. It can be very demoralizing. Everyone has the right to be here as long as they are helping one another. This is not a cult where everyone gets to decide if a member should stay here or not.. 

This is a democracy. 

If some user doesn't like someone either they should block or if they really wish to complain they can complain about it to you rather than publicly announcing on the forum and begging another member to be banned. 

Please discipline users who create riot and demoralize others. 

Please do this. 

Edited by Tyler Robinson

♡✸♡.

@Tyler Robinson No one specific was mentioned by name so it is fine.

Edited by Leo Gura