Eternal Unity

21 dead in an elementry school shooting

114 posts in this topic

Very dark, non-PC like humor cartoon I found circulating online - I don't know if it will be struck down for inappropriate content on the forum regarding it's policy - but I thought I'd share it since it illustrates the despairing and hopeless cynical interpretation born out of seeming political gridlock around this issue in some U.S. states. 

God have mercy on the passed away kids - saw their cute faces online, felt disturbed and couldn't not be helped to be also reminded in their innocence of appearance of my 6-year old niece from my aunt's side who will almost also now be going from kindergarten to first-grade elementary school around next year. 

FTjYGvGUcAEs0Me.jpeg

Edited by Fleetinglife

''society is culpable in not providing free education for all and it must answer for the night which it produces. If the soul is left in darkness sins will be committed. The guilty one is not he who commits the sin, but he who causes the darkness.” ― Victor Hugo, Les Misérables'

A recent article suggest that he was bullied in school.  Most of these shooters have been bullied.  Why doesn’t any politician ever bring up the root cause?   That’s why things never change.

“According to reports, the 18-year-old shooter was a lonely child who was bullied in school over speech impairment.”

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/international/us/who-was-the-18-year-old-texas-school-shooter-friends-say-salvador-rolando-ramos-was-bullied-as-a-child-grew-up-aggressive-and-violent/articleshow/91794272.cms

Vincit omnia Veritas.

57 minutes ago, MarkKol said:

while removing the current guns would help immensely, stopping the production and spread of them is so much easier to do. I didn't say anything about removing 400 million guns? although eventually those guns would need to be removed as well. we flew to the fucking moon man, its possible.

Look at how the government (plans) to get rid of gas cars, nobody is going to take your car once they're banned... only production will stop.

I forgot to mention ammunition, stop producing ammunition along with the guns and the shootings will decrease

I agree.

But this would require a cultural shift in the US that's both overdue and at least a generation or two away.

Under the current social conditions of widespread paranoia, social alienation, and indifference it's pretty much a non-starter. At least until the vast majority of people care enough to demand for change, and democracy is in a healthy enough to address social problems.

Addressing gun violence, like addressing any other number of issues, will all but necessitate sweeping democratization reforms which limit the ability for gun manufacturers to use a form of legalized bribery to prevent any traction on addressing gun violence through legislation.

Unfortunately the situation right now is that the foxes are guarding the henhouse, so until some more fundamental changes happen any reforms to address social problems are pretty much out of reach.

Edited by DocWatts

I'm writing a philosophy book! Check it out at : https://7provtruths.org/

It's weird as hell, as a foreigner, to see how often this occurs in the US. I think it's way too late banning guns by now. You'd be on the brink of civil war.

Unfortunately I think you'll have to wait until a few generations of Americans are replaced by younger more sensible ones.

I paint abstract art. Check out my website and let me know what you think.

https://www.galleriabstrakt.se/collections/all

(I only ship within Sweden so forgive me if you see a painting you'd like but can't order)

47 minutes ago, Jodistrict said:

Why doesn’t any politician ever bring up the root cause?   That’s why things never change.

Cute, but unrealistic, not gonna happen.

40 minutes ago, DocWatts said:

I agree.

But this would require a cultural shift in the US that's both overdue and at least a generation or two away.

Under the current social conditions of widespread paranoia, social alienation, and indifference it's pretty much a non-starter. At least until the vast majority of people care enough to demand for change, and democracy is in a healthy enough to address social problems.

33 minutes ago, 8Ball said:

Unfortunately I think you'll have to wait until a few generations of Americans are replaced by younger more sensible ones.

Edited by Blackhawk

@MarkKol

1 hour ago, MarkKol said:

then bullets shall fly instead, kill each other as much as you want 

while removing the current guns would help immensely, stopping the production and spread of them is so much easier to do. I didn't say anything about removing 400 million guns? although eventually those guns would need to be removed as well. we flew to the fucking moon man, its possible.

Look at how the government (plans) to get rid of gas cars, nobody is going to take your car once they're banned... only production will stop.

I forgot to mention ammunition, stop producing ammunition along with the guns and the shootings will decrease

I don't know about that. Too simplistic of a solution to gun control.

@Blackhawk

2 minutes ago, Blackhawk said:

Why are you obsessed with cuteness?xD

4 hours ago, Jodistrict said:

A recent article suggest that he was bullied in school.  Most of these shooters have been bullied.  Why doesn’t any politician ever bring up the root cause?   That’s why things never change.

“According to reports, the 18-year-old shooter was a lonely child who was bullied in school over speech impairment.”

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/international/us/who-was-the-18-year-old-texas-school-shooter-friends-say-salvador-rolando-ramos-was-bullied-as-a-child-grew-up-aggressive-and-violent/articleshow/91794272.cms

The more relevant cause is likely that his mother was on drugs and his father was absent and he snapped when she wanted to kick him out

@Jodistrict

1 hour ago, Jodistrict said:

I relate to this, been bullied myself over a few things about me. However, as much as hated them, I didn't turn out that bad. During part of my high school, I was in America, and had my share of bullies even there. Almost anywhere you go, you will encounter them. I guess it really depends on the person and the love they received from family, their values, cognition, morality, psychology, states and life experiences. DiSCoMPoSiL.

Does anyone on this forum actually own a firearm?

Personally I do intend to own a small pocket pistol in the future for conceal carry purposes.

Edited by Husseinisdoingfine

أشهد أن لا إله إلا الله وأشهد أن ليو رسول الله

@Leo Gura This subject would make for a perfect blog post.

أشهد أن لا إله إلا الله وأشهد أن ليو رسول الله

@Raze

20 minutes ago, Raze said:

The more relevant cause is likely that his mother was on drugs and his father was absent and he snapped when she wanted to kick him out

Likely the bigger factor here.

53 minutes ago, Danioover9000 said:

@Blackhawk

Why are you obsessed with cuteness?xD

Am I? What do you mean?

@Husseinisdoingfine

4 minutes ago, Husseinisdoingfine said:

Personally I do intend to own a small pocket pistol on the future for conceal carry purpose.

I own a gun too, but... it's a lighter:/

In seriousness, as long as you obtain it legally, and trained, clean it and put it on a secure safe box, it's fine, while you are still single or with a short term GF. You have to stay vigilant with taking care of your gun.

7 hours ago, DocWatts said:

What people from other parts of the world maybe don't realize is that there are more guns than people in America, so even if there was political will for an Australian or British solution it would prove to be logistically impossible.

That's not to give any sympathy whatsoever to Republicans, the NRA, or the far Right who are the most selfish people on the planet and could give a shit less about children being gunned down in schools.

That said, one aspect of the issue that's not given nearly enough attention is the toxicity of gun culture within a larger trend of a disintegrating and atomized culture where deaths of despair are becoming increasingly common among men.

Then add to this a gun culture in the US that's a wasteland of toxic masculinity that preys upon fear, suspicion, and inadequacy. 

Is it any wonder that in a culture where lots of men (and it's always men who are doing these mass shootings) aren't socialized in healthy ways and end up feeling hopeless and alienated from society, that some of them will decide to find one of the easy accessible guns in the US and make a mark by going out in a blaze of glory?

Gun control may be able to stop some of this, but helping men to live fulfilling and meaningful lives as well as countering the atomization of society from Late Stage Capitalism and Right Wing ideologues will also be necessary.

If you are going to say men are doing this....you need to be specific on what type of men.

You are a selfless LACK OF APPEARANCE, that CONSTRUCTS AN APPEARANCE. But that appearance can disappear and reappear and we call that change, we call it time, we call it space, we call it distance, we call distinctness, we call it other. But notice...this appearance, is a SELF. A SELF IS A CONSTRUCTION!!! 

So if you want to know the TRUTH OF THE CONSTRUCTION. Just deconstruct the construction!!!! No point in playing these mind games!!! No point in creating needless complexity!!! The truth of what you are is a BLANK!!!! A selfless awareness....then that means there is NO OTHER, and everything you have ever perceived was JUST AN APPEARANCE, A MIRAGE, AN ILLUSION, IMAGINARY. 

Everything that appears....appears out of a lack of appearance/void/no-thing, non-sense (can't be sensed because there is nothing to sense). That is what you are, and what arises...is made of that. So nonexistence, arises/creates existence. And thus everything is solved.

@Razard86

4 minutes ago, Razard86 said:

If you are going to say men are doing this....you need to be specific on what type of men.

At this point, honestly the problem is so big it doesn't matter what race, gender or age of the main group causing the gun issues that are causing a very particular problem. More importantly is we got to come up with solutions to effectively regulate guns. That's it. Even taking into consideration the value systems, cognitive and moral development, psychology, personalities, states of being and life experiences, we still need more regulation.

And don't ask in this worded way. Why? it makes you look like you want to paint the user@DocWatts  in a bad light. Naughty.

45 minutes ago, Husseinisdoingfine said:

Personally I do intend to own a small pocket pistol on the future for conceal carry purpose.

My grandfather who was a relatively higher-up officer in the then Yugoslav People's Army Airforce used to own a Zastava M88 semi-automatic 9x19 mm pistol in the apartment I visit and stay in where my grandmother lives as part of his officer's equipment kit when he was still in the military, but then he later had to return it to the army, since as I understood, the new gun ownership and usage for civilian self-defence purposes legislation passed by the new government in Serbia in the 2000-10s required permits, charged some extra ownership fees and maintenance regulations for anyone who wants to retain their, then relatively outdated, old guns they purchased or got from military service in their possession for civilian self-defense usage they then must strictly comply with these permits, regulations and charging fees if they wish to legally retain their gun as a civilian private citizen. 

Edited by Fleetinglife

''society is culpable in not providing free education for all and it must answer for the night which it produces. If the soul is left in darkness sins will be committed. The guilty one is not he who commits the sin, but he who causes the darkness.” ― Victor Hugo, Les Misérables'

23 hours ago, hoodrow trillson said:

Don't worry, the thoughts and prayers of Republicans will surely help...

Let’s be frank. Between guns and young people safety, guns is the priority.

This event is an example of the limitations of security guards and arming teachers, even police may not act effectively