Tim R

We are f*cking up so hard

40 posts in this topic

I can't see how humanity is going to solve climate crisis anymore. I'm sorry but I am seriously starting to lose hope in humanity.

I know that some of you say things like "oh, don't worry, humanity is resilient and if pressed hard enough, we find a solution because our will to survive is stronger than anything". 

I don't think so. I just don't see how, but please, do your best to convince me otherwise. 

There's no way that a global society so f*cking unconscious and so unbelievably egotistic and stupid (I'm talking mostly about the biggest players in the world) is going to be able to pull through this enormous  collective effort. 

Why shouldn't we be like the dinosaurs (or the thousands of other species that are currently dying because of us) and simply die out? There's absolutely nothing special about us and no reason why we shouldn't simply vanish from the face of this earth because of our own self-destructive idiocy and foolishness. Colonizing Mars, what a dumb idea. 

We are not wise enough to handle the powerful technology that we have developed. We're blasting CO2 into the atmosphere at an unprecedented rate, we rely on the most inefficient and destructive technologies possible to generate electricity and the demand for it is rising faster than ever. 

And as if that wasn't bad enough, there are hundreds and hundreds of millions, if not over a billion people who either straight up deny that we're at fault or who simply don't give a fuck at all, and who thus actively or passively contribute to this catastrophe. 

What needs to happen that we change our lives? A full blown catastrophe?? Because there's no way in hell that we will take radical measures before anything radical has happened.

"And we are like somebody who has been dead drunk while the house was burning down around us. And now we have awakened to the sound of falling timbers and the smell of smoke, and we have a certain limited amount of time to figure this situation out. We don’t have 500 years or 100 years. Anybody who speaks in terms of solutions that require 100 years or even 50 years to implement doesn’t understand the dynamics of the situation."

- Terence McKenna

Again, I invite you to change my mind. Tell me why I'm wrong or why the situation isn't as bad as I think it is or why I should believe that the stupid ape that we are will be wise enough to recognize that it's sawing off the log that it's sitting on before it's too late.

Conscious dictatorship is a contradiction 

Relax. Life goes on. Fearmongering solves nothing.

Humanity is not going anywhere.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Meh, well probably invent some technology that stalls climate change for 100 years like artificially cooling the planet with solar geoengineering. Its the best we can do until the boomer oil tycoons who caused this die out and we become more Stage Green as a whole. 

Dont look at me! Look inside!

Humanity has widely gone on the misunderstanding that things, circumstances, people and events bring them (the separate self) happiness and security. This misunderstanding has lead to a epidemic of unfulfillment and a need to secure things. This creates the suffering of greed. 

If we apply this same misunderstanding on a wider scale to the problem of climate change, we change nothing and then our own impotence becomes incredibly frustrating. We may try to control and enforce others to comply. We may sacrifice human health, life and happiness for the earth and turn it into a war, where it's earth against humans, forgetting we ourselves are never separate from earth or humanity. 

What will truly transform our environment is the transformation of ourselves, because it is a reflection of us. No inner, no outer. What will truly transform our environment is love for it, and love for ourselves, knowing that love knows no inner, no outer.

We believe that the world was here before us, not realizing that our knowledge of the world came only after the knowledge that we are. The very essence of being and knowing is love.

That's why shame, blame, remorse, control, and despair will never ever heal the environment. It's what created the need to have the bigger, better, best and the following lack of fulfillment when it was obtained. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

@Knowledge Hoarder It's overfishing and acidification of the oceans that concern me most. If the oceans die it's game over for us. 

I'm pretty pessimistic about the human race's future. I think we're too selfish to do what it takes. I dealt with it it in my last mushroom trip by grieving, for us and for nature. 

My consolation is knowing how resilient life is. All it takes is a patch of life, maybe just a few microbes and the earth will be right as rain in a few million years. Without us, but nothing beats entropy forever. Something will dig our fossils up one day. 

1 hour ago, Tim R said:

Conscious dictatorship is a contradiction 

Mohammed is an example 

One day the sun will die and take the earth with it. This is not avoidable. Relax and appreciate that because it will happen inevitably.

Edited by Raphael

@Tim R Yea I agree with you. It's already hard enough. 

At some point drastic measures will have to be taken 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

For me, losing hope for humanity is like losing hope with oneself, we are part of humanity so. If you see a way where you can inspire people (maybe with your life purpose), then make it happen brother!?☀️??

This is a cool project happening right now, I'm sure there are many other projects but this is one I'm aware of:

I know there is a Big Picture situation,epistomologically and metaphysically speaking but hey, little by little.?

Edited by Juan

I don't think that humanity will be eradicated, that's not the problem.

The problem is that I don't want us or our children or our children's children to live with excruciating heat waves every summer and food and water scarcity and an impoverished flora and fauna... do you even realize how many billions of refugees will have to find new homes? how many social crises this will cause?

Just how much of a humanitarian and global crisis of epic proportions it will cause if we keep warming this planet? 

Again, I don't see how we *cough* China, US, India *cough* could turn this mess around within the next 10 years so that a global catastrophe will be averted but hey, maybe I am being a bit too pessimistic on this one. 

Why aren't you caring more about the defense against space objects hitting earth?

Wouldn't it be interesting if we all cry about the climate, but then suddenly ooops a asteroid comes and wipes out all of us?

One day a space object will be on a collision course with us. I think there are some theories on how to eliminate the threat but we still don't have a definite method which we have practiced on.

Edited by Blackhawk

@Tim R I think a related question is "how do we know humanity is evolving at the rate it should be?"

you pointed out that many species are not evolving fast enough and going extinct.  How are we so confident that we are evolving fast enough.  I don't know how to evaluate that this is the rate of evolution humanity needs at this time.  Everything I was told in science, botony, biology, and meteorology contradicts these assertions and we could be underestimating their political biases.

Meanwhile, not everybody is affected equally.  The impoverished nations will suffer the most, so humanity as a whole should survive in spite of the water wars.  I remember that water wars is the main issues that got me concerned about politics to begin with as I think of it as the biggest threat to mankind aside from maybe nuclear weapons combined with water wars.

9 hours ago, Blackhawk said:

Why aren't you caring more about the defense against space objects hitting earth?

@Blackhawk Because that's a) something much less likely and b) something we wouldn't be at fault for

9 hours ago, Blackhawk said:

Wouldn't it be interesting if we all cry about the climate, but then suddenly ooops a asteroid comes and wipes out all of us?

Yeah if it's inevitable and we couldn't steer it away or nuke it into pieces I guess I'd be fine with that, we tried our best.

But that's the difference, we are not trying our best. Not only that, but we are making things worse. 

My country is responsible for 2% of global CO2 emissions and we are now having a discussion in politics and for the upcoming election whether we should become CO2 neutral until 2045 or earlier, and whether we should stop burning coal until 2038 or 2030 and when I think of countries like China, the US or India who are together responsible for 50% of global emissions, I can't help but become somewhat cynical. It's like a big, unfunny joke. 

There are many people who truly care. But they're not the ones who truly should care.

So what are we to do? Become cynical? Force China, US and India into becoming CO2 neutral before we have reached 1,5°C? 

Where are my stage Yellow and Turquoise thinkers at? Don't tell me you're not concerned...

@Tim R Do you remember back 2 years or so when everyone was only involved in their own lives and the idea of a pandemic was the furthest thing on our minds?  We all didn't spend anytime worrying about it ever happening.  And then it happened to our utter surprise and our way of life is changing everyday. See, worrying too much about the condition of the planet, other than making sure we do the things needed to keep our corner of it clean, is a waste of time.  Something we never thought about or thought would happen could happen and it could just reverse the direction it looks like we are going in right now.  So worrying isn't going to help the issue.  Drop the worrying and let whatever happens happen.  We have no control.  We really don't.

Edited by Eternity

2 hours ago, Tim R said:

@Blackhawk Because that's a) something much less likely and b) something we wouldn't be at fault for

Yeah if it's inevitable and we couldn't steer it away or nuke it into pieces I guess I'd be fine with that, we tried our best.

But that's the difference, we are not trying our best. Not only that, but we are making things worse. 

It's basically 100% guaranteed that it will happen, so it's not less likely.

There's a average time interval how often big asteroids hit earth, and if I remember right we have already passed that average interval. So it will happen any day now.

We would be at fault for it because we aren't putting enough effort on preparing and practicing on how to eliminate the threat. We aren't trying our best.

@Blackhawk I think scientists all over the world are monitoring for such dangerously large objects and if they detect one, there are plans for how to deal with them. 

1 hour ago, Tim R said:

My country is responsible for 2% of global CO2 emissions and we are now having a discussion in politics and for the upcoming election whether we should become CO2 neutral until 2045 or earlier, and whether we should stop burning coal until 2038 or 2030 and when I think of countries like China, the US or India who are together responsible for 50% of global emissions, I can't help but become somewhat cynical. It's like a big, unfunny joke. 

We are already doing that in Finland. Our goal is to be carbon neutral in 2035.

Try to broaden your vision a little bit. Europe, our homecountries, are pretty much the most evolved places in this world. In a sense, we are the leading edge of societal and cultural evolution.

Here's the deal: what else should we be doing than our best? Do you see any greater vision for us than this? We have the resources, the education, the expertise on ecology, biology, physics, sociology, economy, politics and a lot more. We could show others how it's done. What else should we be doing with our time? Watching Netflix on our 4K screens eating pizza? Is that the true potential of europe? Look at the younger generations. Many already see that 4K Netflix and a cool car ain't what gives you the good life. They are looking for a greater meaning and vision. Yes, some go for fascism and other regressive ideologies, but we can offer them something better.

We gotta unite more, perhaps even push for federal europe. We can deal with this together. I cannot imagine a greater, more beautiful vision for my nation than to unite and take on this challenge along with you guys, and others. I want nothing less for Finland than to melt in love for humanity, with you. That I think, is our true potential. And I bet it's the same for Germany too.

Everyone is waiting for eternity but the Shaman asks: "how about today?"

4 minutes ago, Tim R said:

@Blackhawk I think scientists all over the world are monitoring for such dangerously large objects and if they detect one, there are plans for how to deal with them. 

They are monitoring them yes but I'm not sure that we would be able to eliminate the threat in time.

But ok yes maybe they could eliminate it.