Derek White

Sadhguru's Religious And Cultural Bias

59 posts in this topic

55 minutes ago, DieFree said:

I'm not sure how you managed to view this video and conclude he is a bad person.

I'm not saying saying he's a bad person. I think he's subtly supporting fascism (or needs to to run his organization), otherwise I think he's a good spiritual master. I don't care about other criticism of him and frankly I haven't watched the other videos. But I think it's a serious thing because he speaks out against anyone opposed to the current government, and his support for Hindutva will definitely increase conservatism and Islamophobia. It's a little hard to explain to outsiders, but Hindutva is not your garden variety conservatism, for instance Hindutva hates Gandhi (who was already quite conservative) because he was too progressive and too nice to Muslims. It's founders were involved in his assassination. He really shouldn't he name drooping and supporting it and equating it with Hinduism. BTW, he did say "they" have been trying to "dismantle" "Hinduism" for 1000s of years though, that's a little reactionary and paranoid. 

Edited by Derek White

“Many talk like philosophers yet live like fools.” — Proverb

Enlightened people are way ahead of our time, and have to speak to the people in a way they would best understand at their level of consciousness. He's brining something lofty down to earth, packaged in a way which that society (India in this case) can understand. 

At its essence, and at all religions essence we are all going towards that very same essence. So when he says the world will be Hindu, he's right in its essence, but so are we Jewish, Muslim, Christian and Bhuddist at their essences, not their externalities. 

8 hours ago, Fearey said:

Sadghuru does not support fascism.

Well, Hindutva is basically fascism. 

“The Hindutva movement has been described as a variant of "right-wing extremism"[5] and as "almost fascist in the classical sense", adhering to a concept of homogenised majority and cultural hegemony.[6][7] Some analysts dispute the identification of Hindutva with fascism, and suggest Hindutva is an extreme form of conservatism or "ethnic absolutism".” – Wikipedia 

On 16.9.2021 at 0:44 AM, Leo Gura said:

That's your perspective.

Much in the same way that if a spiritual guru was to say slavery was justified because otherwise, who would feed and keep the slaves alive, calling that silly would also just be my perspective. As is you calling this a perspective.

That it is a perspective is irrelevant to what is going on here.

Glory to Israel

1 hour ago, Scholar said:

Much in the same way that if a spiritual guru was to say slavery was justified because otherwise, who would feed and keep the slaves alive, calling that silly would also just be my perspective. As is you calling this a perspective.

That it is a perspective is irrelevant to what is going on here.

everything's just a perspective

but i guess we can all agree that slavery was very damaging for many people and the ripples and traumas are still felt

most of us would probably also agree that factory cattle farming is terrible for said animals and we shouldn't do it.

No, actually slavery was absolutely correct for that period of time. 

Remember that period when everyone started tearing down statues? It started in Bristol here in the UK, which is an extremely stage green city. Despite me being a leftie myself, I disagreed with it because you can't judge people by today's moral standards. Just as it would be stupid to judge someone from Zimbabwe for not being vegan. You are missing the complexities of the issues. 

Dude openly speaks for neo-fascist legislations. Not saying he is a fascist, but rather misinformed. And more than misinformed, deluded by the fact that he understands how mind works.

Below is a video of him inviting two businessmen/yoga gurus to his ashram who totally support Modi's regime since BEFORE he got into power, i.e. protesting against incumbent government in 2013/14. The second part of the video shows his conversation with a Bollywood actress named Kangna Ranaut, who recently was BANNED by Twitter for Hate Speech.

Just look how comfortable he is with this prick above, named Baba Ramdev.

And here are some tweets from the actress herself: 

Es_ARBFXYAEAOF1.jpg

Yup the guy in the above photo is the man who killed Gandhi, Veer Savarkar or something. very smart of her to vouch for him.

3707-kangana-ranaut.jpg

the 'my idols were subjected to' phrase refers to the Muslims.

And don't forget their friendship with an anchor named Arnab Goswami, who is a well known shitmouth journalist playing with fascist ideas.He is the owner of Fox news version of Indian Media.

The above video is really funny to watch. I didn't understand a single thing but still lol.

Much of the people in the forum are blinded by his spiritual videos. Just because someone remembers some Vedic books or Buddha stories, doesn't make him/her 'enlightened'. Sadhguru is not a FRAUD, agree, but he is nothing more than a tribal Stage Green guru vouching for Hindu Values across the globe. Like stage green Christian missionary would do. 

His talks have no solid foundations. Are people here actually watching his videos? Do some actual research about Sadhguru before picking sides.

We need a video on Leo dismantling Sadhguru like he did Jordan Peterson.

What most people need is education to not fall for spiritual bullshitters

Start with people like Epikur no bullshit guy for 2,3k years.

Edited by Epikur

@Stovo Most of the people, including you, who are defending him don’t know what’s appropriate for India. They have a disparaging attitude towards developing countries. It’s a misuse of spiral dynamics and ignorance of these countries.

@Husseinisdoingfine If he didn’t support them he wouldn’t be able to run such a huge organization. Supporting the government is one thing, he supported and name dropped a toxic ideology there and equated it with Hinduism. He is setting a bad precedent, in the future people will say a great Hindu yogi supported Hindutva, it normalizes support for Hindutva for generations.

On 9/16/2021 at 5:11 AM, John Doe said:

I would rate even Leo to be higher on the scale than Eckhart Tolle

I would rate Leo far below Eckhart Tolle. :) Too much ego, too little humbleness and a fundamental misunderstanding of what spirituality is and how this game works. Leo's version of spirituality is a revolving door of chemically induced mystical vision, which is a caricature of actual spirituality. Leo also believes there's work required, or even time, to reach profound states of consciousness.

I still love Leo's work. But I love it from the logical side. Real spirituality is about heart and not logic.

13 minutes ago, impulse9 said:

Too much ego, too little humbleness

Oh I agree, he comes across as egotistical sometimes, but as I mentioned before, many spiritually advanced people are like that. The point I'm trying to get across is, we have to put aside this idea that advanced teachers should confine with our social norms and 'be a nice guy' - humble, caring, kind etc. Usually, such people either tend to put on this appearance to 'lure' people into advanced programs, or they are actually very vanilla and low-level (like Eckhart). I'm not saying these people have no use, they're good for basic self-help stuff, but that's about it. 

22 minutes ago, impulse9 said:

Leo's version of spirituality is a revolving door of chemically induced mystical vision, which is a caricature of actual spirituality.

Well that's what I thought as well, until I myself took the plunge. I don't want to be so dismissive of him now, he has been close to Source, I'm sure of that.

26 minutes ago, impulse9 said:

Leo also believes there's work required, or even time, to reach profound states of consciousness.

?

Don't you think?

Release me.

In the last two videos, the vegan commentator didn’t like Sadhguru’s responses because they contradicted his vegan beliefs.   Anyone who contradicts a vegan belief will be judged equally harshly by him.  Thus, I don’t see this as a persuasive example of Sadhguru behaving badly.   Even though I am not a fan of Sadhguru and his willigness to pretend to be an expert on virtually any subject.    

Vincit omnia Veritas.

He's smart and says very helpful things.

But something about him always felt off for me.

Lately (yesterday) I discovered that he had a wife, and there's suspicions that he killed her.

I don't know if it's true or not but I feel like he's not the person I want to be taught by.

Edited by Random witch

1 hour ago, John Doe said:

Oh I agree, he comes across as egotistical sometimes, but as I mentioned before, many spiritually advanced people are like that. The point I'm trying to get across is, we have to put aside this idea that advanced teachers should confine with our social norms and 'be a nice guy' - humble, caring, kind etc. Usually, such people either tend to put on this appearance to 'lure' people into advanced programs, or they are actually very vanilla and low-level (like Eckhart). I'm not saying these people have no use, they're good for basic self-help stuff, but that's about it. 

You have a skewed perspective about this. Eckhart Tolle isn't vanilla. He's one of the greatest masters who ever walked on Earth. Just because he doesn't talk about what awakening feels like (as if to stroke other people's egos), doesn't mean he's not aware of it. Eckhart Tolle is a realized master. Simple as that. Leo's notions of "permanent enlightenment isn't possible, glimpses of the divine are sufficient" is wrong, misleading, and deeply damaging.

Well that's what I thought as well, until I myself took the plunge. I don't want to be so dismissive of him now, he has been close to Source, I'm sure of that.

That doesn't give him validity. I've been to the same places, particularly on Salvia. There's no way DMT can get you further because it's the same place. What Leo doesn't admit though, is that these experiences give you jack shit. Once you sober up you're just as lost as you were prior to the trip, if not more.

?

Don't you think?

The notion that time is required for enlightened is the most vile game that the ego plays. Time won't help you.

1 hour ago, impulse9 said:

That doesn't give him validity. I've been to the same places, particularly on Salvia. There's no way DMT can get you further because it's the same place. What Leo doesn't admit though, is that these experiences give you jack shit. Once you sober up you're just as lost as you were prior to the trip, if not more.

The notion that time is required for enlightened is the most vile game that the ego plays. Time won't help you.

That is true, once the effects wear off, it's back to square one. But is it really jack shit though? Like he said, people such as Eckhart might have some kind of genetic predisposition to be able to access these states with ease, but what of the rest of us? Their flowery speeches aren't going to help us get there, we need something hardcore. I suspect we'll have to engage in years of practice and thousands of hours of meditation. For many of us trapped in the matrix, such things are unrealistic, which is where psychedelics come into play.

If time is not required for enlightenment, why are we not all enlightened at this very instant? It's not like a gotcha question or something, I'm genuinely curious.

Release me.

If time is not required for enlightenment, why are we not all enlightened at this very instant? It's not like a gotcha question or something, I'm genuinely curious.

1. Because most of us can't stand boredom.

2. Because most of us are still struggling to financially survive.

3. Because there's the illusion that there's so many options out there, so we get confused and we don't know what way or spiritual practice and method to choose, also we have the fear of missing out (FOMO).

4. Because we are slaves to our desires and everything in the capitalistic modern world push us towards this direction.

5. Because we are grew up to be too rational and logic and "know all" oriented, but we lack of playfulness, wonder, openess and real curiousity.

6. Because we used to the idea that things have to happen immediately, we have no patient to worship something vague that requires time and persistence.

Edited by Random witch

@John Doe It's beyond logic. For as long as you try to acquire knowledge using your logic, you will never get there.

And I'm not even remotely claiming that I'm enlightened and therefore able to pass judgment on anyone. I simply know what being in the presence of a master feels like. I can tell you that Eckhart Tolle is the real deal. I can also tell you that bending your mind into a pretzel will never work. Leo's very good at pretzel bending. And sometimes you have to bend those pretzels. But it is not the way. The way that can be talked about is not the way. The tao that can be told is not the eternal Tao. You either get this point, or you get stuck in a revolving door.

And why time can't help you? Because time doesn't exist. It's imaginary. If you think time's gonna help you, then you're putting your faith into something that doesn't exist. It's like trying to eat stars from the night sky. It makes no sense.

@impulse9 I did not get the point you're trying to convey, but I guess that is a part of this work

On 9/17/2021 at 9:58 PM, impulse9 said:

And why time can't help you? Because time doesn't exist. It's imaginary. If you think time's gonna help you, then you're putting your faith into something that doesn't exist. It's like trying to eat stars from the night sky. It makes no sense.

Sure. But are we not trapped in the samsara? And time is a part of that samsara. It's like when Neo needs to escape the Matrix and has to swallow the red pill. The 'red pill' doesn't actually exist, but he still has to swallow 'it' to escape. Until we can escape we are forced to use the mechanisms of the Illusion, at least that is my understanding. 

Release me.

On 15/09/2021 at 3:07 PM, AminB501 said:

Actually sadhguru even though is a great guy, I see in him certain defensiveness about hinduism. For example of you went to J. Krishnamurti or Osho and critiziced something about India or hinduism they would have not given a damn, they even even critiziced it themselves to the point of humilliation all the time. You better believe sadhguru would get offended, and he has debated people for this topics. He may not be offended but it will attack with some sarcasm or laugh at your side back in some way.

Sadhguru is dependent on rss/bjp as sadhguru became popular after modi bjp rule.so he is defenitly biased because he was mainstream after modi.although i do not see any hate speach made by him.