Noahsteelers34

I just dropped out of college. Lets talk about alternatives

53 posts in this topic

Makes sense I suppose.  

Though I'm unsure about taking business in college and having that work out practically with getting work.

How do you see having, say, a business degree being a reliable way of getting work?

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

11 hours ago, Noahsteelers34 said:

I was supposed to leave for my freshman year on the 16th, after taking the purpose course I decided to drop out at the last second. My whole family was shocked, my dad screamed at me,  and they are unwilling to give me any financial support, so I'm out on my own with $2000. I bought a one-way ticket to Miami on the 16th. my plan is to find creative ways to live so inexpensively that I can save up the money to self educate. I wanted to start this thread to open a discussion about living, minimalisticly, saving money, self education, and really anything related to these kind of topics. Please share any advice, ideas ect

Use government programs. Get on EBT, this will be about $230 a month for food, so that will be covered. Local food banks are another great source of free food and supplies. Once on that program, it opens up other options, like free cell phone and cell coverage, through Tracphone, so there's another big bill covered. You can also sign up for programs that help with housing, paying utility bills, moving costs, so on and so on. Once you get your bills down to the bare minimum, then you don't have to earn as much to survive. Moving in to a shared home can be a good way of living in a good home, for minimal expenses. Just be diligent about assessing your housemates, and if you can live harmoniously together. Depending on how far you are willing to go for your independence, you can also look into van living, or tiny home living. Good way to live off grid and no rent. As of self education, all you need is on the internet. You just need to get good at sifting through all the crap, but all the good stuff you'll need is there, and all for free. Once independent, and with little bills, and your survival needs taken care of, this frees you up to focus your time on your life purpose. 

@Matt23 for business degrees like finance, marketing, accounting -> startups, small companies, or corporations pay like 50k entry level (in cities, in usa). you can like get $20-25k+ pay increases per year if you swap companies + if you are good 

if you land large corporations you are making $100k+ minimum by like age 24 . very doable if you have a good resume in college. internships + good gpa + decent school + projects 

you can do this without a degree too probably if you play smart. bootcamps, personal projects, freelancing portfolios, getting recommendations with networks 
that being said this is just one option, not really related to OP's questions per say 

Edited by Jacob Morres

14 hours ago, Noahsteelers34 said:

I was supposed to leave for my freshman year on the 16th, after taking the purpose course I decided to drop out at the last second. My whole family was shocked, my dad screamed at me,  and they are unwilling to give me any financial support, so I'm out on my own with $2000. I bought a one-way ticket to Miami on the 16th. my plan is to find creative ways to live so inexpensively that I can save up the money to self educate. I wanted to start this thread to open a discussion about living, minimalisticly, saving money, self education, and really anything related to these kind of topics. Please share any advice, ideas ect

Sorry Pal, youre screwed. Miami? Budgeting? lmao

@Noahsteelers34 Maybe first spend some good time strategizing.

How are you going to become financially independent from your parents and take care of yourself?

How are you going to combine that with working on your skills and towards your LP?

You could try living with your parents for a while (if they allow it) or move to a small dorm room or studio. You won't need a full-time job for that.

Stories are made for children to fall asleep, and adults to wake up.

8 hours ago, AtheisticNonduality said:

@Leo Gura College slavery is just wage slavery but without the wage part. So slavery. Okay, i guess you get free housing.

No. If you say, take business you are building the basic infrastructure for you long term success. But, if you are serving coffee 8 hours a day.... good luck... in college you have flexibility, time, you can build skills like:

1. Planning

2. Time management

3. Deadlines

4. All the actual skills you are learning

5. team work 

6. Being a leader 

7. There are clubs you can join

8. Develping soft skills

Lets say you spend 4 years doing engineering, and you spend 30 minutes to and hour each day thinking about life purpose and what you want to create. You would be developing such a strong agile mind capable of heavy lifting that someone stuck in wage slavery just cant.

etc

There are many dangers with Leo's work. For example, when we are too foolish to implement it wisely. Especially young people. So, like Idk. Instead of impulsively deciding something, plan, and like have these discussions with the forum and your parents first. Make a plan first. Why drop out of school if you don't even have an actual plan?

When we are young, imo most of us lack the ability to make sound decisions, think long term, be mature, etc which is why school is there. 

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

I really don't know at this point, I feel lost,  everyone says something different, but at the end of the day, I have to make decisions and take full responsibility. I figured If I just grind for the next year straight working 80+ hours a week, I can save up a shit ton of money (especially because the rent my dad is making me pay, he is gonna save it up and give it back to me). assuming I am able to save up around 50k+, I can move to a city (doesn't have to be Miami) and share a bunk bedroom with a couple of people for extremely cheap. I can eat rice and beans for like 100 bucks a month, take public transit, and cut my overall living expenses down to 10k per year. This could allow me to work as a server part-time (barely cutting into my savings), and spend 40+ hours a week developing skills to get me a longer-term job to support myself (doesn't have to be my LP). Let me know if this plan seems feasible, or if there are a lot of things I'm overlooking, etc. Thanks for your guy's input, it really helps especially when my whole family is just expecting me to go to college and all of my friends did the same, but I just can't pay 150k for an education that Is leading me to where I want to go. 

Edited by Noahsteelers34

other alternatives might be finding a college for way cheaper, associates degrees, certain jobs that don't require a degree but require training. The only reason I felt I could be successful in spite of college is that I don't want a family so I only have to support myself, and I'm willing to live extremely frugally. Right now I'm just trying to think of some paths where I can create a portfolio of projects and have that be my way of getting hired. I know it seems like I make dumb decisions but if felt that paying 35k for a year of school with no clue if I needed it was gonna be dumb.

16 minutes ago, AtheisticNonduality said:

@Thought Art People have different skillsets and should develop them as needed wherever they think is most convenient for them. If that means college, sure.

Exactly, as you are becoming a sovereign, mature adult every has an opinion, and an asshole. Keep going! This is part of the journey. 

◭"89"

I canceled my cancelation and am going to college. I guess I would rather be an engineer making 150k than be working at Starbucks for 80 hours a week. 

@Noahsteelers34 Bro everything im about to write in this post is coming from a place of love and is meant to shock you so you can understand the gravity of your situation. Take the time to read this out and understand college isn't as black and white as you believe. Hopefully this makes you ask the hard questions and gives you some guidance.

18 hours ago, Noahsteelers34 said:

my plan is to find creative ways to live so inexpensively that I can save up the money to self educate.

This is not a well thought out plan when you give up an "opportunity" like college it has to be for something equal. The fact you dont already have some projects or endeavors your considering shows you immaturity and lack of planning.

1 hour ago, Noahsteelers34 said:

assuming I am able to save up around 50k+

You don't understand how unbelievably difficult this is. Most people who make even 75k a year cant hope to save more than 20k and those people have decent skills to offer. As a 18-19 year old  you would be lucky to find a job that pays $20 an hour and even if you do it will be a dead end job with practical transferable skills or career prospects. You will actually be taking a step backwards as the notion of waking up and slaving 8 hours plus a day on some minimum wage job will break you

paying 35k for a year of school with no clue if I needed it was gonna be dumb.

School is not this expensive if you use your brain. People who pay this amount of money a year are lazy and just do things without thinking. First of community college is an option and only costs around 6k per semester and that's not including government grants and scholarships. You could do 2 years there and then finish up at a college that interests you many people do that. This could save you 10's of thousands of dollars

Second you could take online classes your first year or two and then take in person classes which could also save 10's of thousands of dollars. 

Third you don't have to dorm this immediately cuts your bill in half and you can work at your school and make friends that way and leverage that into something good.

Stop saying "im paying 35k a year" actually take time to consider how you could lower this price, your an idiot if you pay the full sticker amount for your tution your just being lazy and hoping everything magically gets figured out.

Right now I'm just trying to think of some paths where I can create a portfolio of projects and have that be my way of getting hired.

Again stop being Lazy, if this is really what you want take some online classes your first year as you'll mostly be learning general education and use the rest of your time to build real world skills.

Stop thinking college is a scam its not, if you dont use your brain an only go there to do homework then go home your a fool. College is not some linear path, your supposed to find yourself there, just because you go there with the intent of studying Computer science or something doesnt mean those are all the classes you have to take. You could take art, music theater ect.

Most of your learning is going to be done outside the classroom never forget that. You have such a rigid view on what college is because you keep listening to this woke crap.

Go in a room by yourself and really think this through, ask yourself "Do i want to take online classes? Do i want to dorm? Do I want to go to community colloge?" and go back to your dad and enroll. If money is really an issue you should be working hard to come up with solutions to bring the cost down.

Listen man your 18-19 years old your going to have many brash and dumb decisions, but take these years serious. No matter what anyone tells you 18-26 are the most important years of your life. Most of you character and beliefs for the average person is developed in this part of your life. Dont waste it on some dead end job when you have parents that are willing to help you. 

Only drop out of college when you have a well thought out plan, the math is done correctly and your opportunity mathes the cost it would have to leave college.  

46 minutes ago, Noahsteelers34 said:

I canceled my cancelation and am going to college. I guess I would rather be an engineer making 150k than be working at Starbucks for 80 hours a week. 

This and so much more. Let the experience be what it is. You are going to learn so much. Our mental models tend to project how the future will be, but we really have no idea.

◭"89"

@Bando

Thanks, believe me, this whole experience with my family and my dad really coming down on me has really humbled me. I believe I know way more than I do, I'm a know it all when really I have no life experience and no solid plan. At least college will give me the opportunity to find like-minded people because I was very shy in high school and there is no way that will change working at Starbucks. Luckily I contacted the school and they were able to stop the cancellation, so it's like it never happened. I'm paying the full price as of now but am contemplating what you said to maybe transfer or find a cheaper option for next year.

1 minute ago, Noahsteelers34 said:

@Bando

Thanks, believe me, this whole experience with my family and my dad really coming down on me has really humbled me. I believe I know way more than I do, I'm a know it all when really I have no life experience and no solid plan. At least college will give me the opportunity to find like-minded people because I was very shy in high school and there is no way that will change working at Starbucks. Luckily I contacted the school and they were able to stop the cancellation, so it's like it never happened. I'm paying the full price as of now but am contemplating what you said to maybe transfer or find a cheaper option for next year.

Remember we are thinking long term life long learning for a reason! As a fool myself becoming wise, reality keeps humbling me.

Edited by Thought Art

◭"89"

3 hours ago, Noahsteelers34 said:

I really don't know at this point, I feel lost,  everyone says something different, but at the end of the day, I have to make decisions and take full responsibility. I figured If I just grind for the next year straight working 80+ hours a week, I can save up a shit ton of money (especially because the rent my dad is making me pay, he is gonna save it up and give it back to me). assuming I am able to save up around 50k+, I can move to a city (doesn't have to be Miami) and share a bunk bedroom with a couple of people for extremely cheap. I can eat rice and beans for like 100 bucks a month, take public transit, and cut my overall living expenses down to 10k per year. This could allow me to work as a server part-time (barely cutting into my savings), and spend 40+ hours a week developing skills to get me a longer-term job to support myself (doesn't have to be my LP). Let me know if this plan seems feasible, or if there are a lot of things I'm overlooking, etc.

This a good plan. The question is whether you can be disciplined enough to pull it off.

Earning $50k in cash is not so easy unless you get the right kind of job.

Consider becoming a merchant marine. It pays real well and gives good time off. Or you need something else of this sort.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

51 minutes ago, Noahsteelers34 said:

I believe I know way more than I do, I'm a know it all when really I have no life experience and no solid plan.

Sounds like you and your parents had some additional conversations. Are these their words?

Regardless, I think going to college will not be such a bad option. It will give you time to explore and develop yourself. You’ll have fun. And yes you’ll have debt, but if you’re smart you can minimize the damage.

I would really consider this not “college” but four years to discover and start working on your LP. Whether it’s engineering or something else, I wouldn’t just think about it as a stepping stone to a job. Think bigger about the whole thing. You have time and you’re not gonna starve. So be strategic.

You may not nail down every detail of your LP by the time you graduate, but you can make significant progress if you take it seriously.

Your other plan about moving to Miami was dubious. Not saying you couldn’t pull it off, and it’s good that you’re willing to eat shit for your dreams. I lived in Miami for several years doing something similar. But it is a brutal path. College will be gentler.

22 hours ago, Noahsteelers34 said:

I wish I had this level of balls when I was that age.

So funny to see how everyone is projecting their fears onto you and reacting so negatively.

Similarly, I'm projecting my regrets onto you and am biased in the opposite direction.

@Noahsteelers34 But alas, here's my tip: watch "Undercover Billionaire". Both seasons. People get sent to a random town with only 100$ and a car, and build up a successful business within 3 months. I found this show to be more educational than the last 3 business books I've read combined. Learn as much as you can from the mindset of those people. Write down their habits and discover patterns in their actions. If you aren't going to be resilient, relentless and a fast learner, or allow yourself to have even the least bit of victim mindset, you chose the wrong path. I could not have handled this when I was 21, because I didn't embody those qualities then.

Sidenote: why Miami, and not somewhere with a cheaper cost of living?

Edited by flowboy

Learn to resolve trauma. Together.

Testimonials thread: www.actualized.org/forum/topic/82672-experience-collection-childhood-aware-life-purpose-coaching/

5 hours ago, Noahsteelers34 said:

I really don't know at this point, I feel lost,  everyone says something different, but at the end of the day, I have to make decisions and take full responsibility. I figured If I just grind for the next year straight working 80+ hours a week, I can save up a shit ton of money (especially because the rent my dad is making me pay, he is gonna save it up and give it back to me). assuming I am able to save up around 50k+, I can move to a city (doesn't have to be Miami) and share a bunk bedroom with a couple of people for extremely cheap. I can eat rice and beans for like 100 bucks a month, take public transit, and cut my overall living expenses down to 10k per year. This could allow me to work as a server part-time (barely cutting into my savings), and spend 40+ hours a week developing skills to get me a longer-term job to support myself (doesn't have to be my LP). Let me know if this plan seems feasible, or if there are a lot of things I'm overlooking, etc. Thanks for your guy's input, it really helps especially when my whole family is just expecting me to go to college and all of my friends did the same, but I just can't pay 150k for an education that Is leading me to where I want to go. 

Ya. 

Also, not to confuse things even more, but taking a year or even a few years off to just figure out what you want out of life is a great thing to do IMO.  Many cultures, including many parts of western culture, have this as an accepted thing to do = i.e., gap years.  

Also, again, I don't know what your particular situation is or what the living expenses are where you live, but where I'm from, I've moved around a lot and have never had issues with money or housing.  =  I may have already said this.  I just want to balance something I think I may be seeing on this forum of perhaps an aversion to just moving to a new city and doing your own thing for a while.  In my experience, that's never ended in me being homeless or anything, even though I never had a solid plan before moving.  I always made things work (even though my living and work conditions were never great).  

Don't be afraid to take chances, have an adventure, learn a bit.  

But also be smart and wise about it. 

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins