Someone here

Is it possible to quit society?

21 posts in this topic

It does feel that expectations from society nowadays are too high. I also find myself exhausted and longing for an extended periods of isolation.

camping sounds heavenly to me right now :). I have also realised that a lot of the times I put a lot of expectations on myself and have realised the only way that I can deal with this is by putting very specific boundaries in place.. including my sleeping times. Quitting society is not always a possibility but if we are able to make time for ourselves somewhere during the week just to read.. sleep or do that fun thing that we have been wanting to do for ages..then I really do believe we can make it through these difficult times.o. ne day at a time. If anyone experienced with van life or living as a drop out have some info.. Please share. Of course the first concerns is how to survive.. Unless you have stable access to food and shelter etc.   

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

54gjju.jpg

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

You will be right back like a lonely kitten. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

@Preety_India Why not?  If I could afford stable access to food and water and shelter etc... Many people do this after retirement in India.. Although it's not so preferable way of living. I'm well aware. 

@Gesundheit curious about your thoughts. 

-Osho

It is, now (the last 30 years) more than ever. You can buy a lot of stuff from society, do your setups, research, books education, trainings on how to do and than quit it. You can get  educated and well equipped these days for that. I suggest you immerse yourself in educating yourself on this if you are considering it and I urge you not to rush it.

Anyway, make no mistake, its not an easy life, you'll be spending most of your day on survival/security level stuff.

If you want to have a mobile home it gets even more difficult. I do not see a way how you can get completely detached from society that way.
You'll constantly have extreme problems with basic resources such as water, heat, electricity. even food, depending on what you are doing. Shower, poop and hygiene time will be tough too. Sadly and happily it is society that outsources most of our basic needs :/ But i feel you, I am having the same thoughts at times.

Other people have done it as far as I know. So, it's definitely possible.

The question is: Do you really feel like you need to do it? Like, do you really genuinely, authentically, sincerely, deeply, actually want to do it? If yes, then why not? There's no harm in consciously following your heart.

Don't destroy your past, though. It may be just a phase, so it's wise to have in an optional return ticket in your pocket. You might be simply stressed and in desperate need for some rest to organize your mind and find peace of mind and then learn how to maintain it in everyday life. I would consider going on a retreat first and see what happens. Maybe a few retreats. I don't know. Seek what you feel most drawn to.

The logistics part can range between easy or difficult depending on your current situation and overall life experiences.

If you have no confidence in yourself, you are twice defeated in the race of life. But with confidence you have won, even before you start.” -- Marcus Garvey

I can't even quit this forum let alone quitting society :D

-Osho

The extreme end of asceticism and materialism might both leave you with a longing for the opposite lifestyle. Why not enjoy having running water and a toilet while aiming to reduce your overhead so you can begin or continue to live life as you please? 

Watch Agafia Lykova in youtube, quiting society is doable . But most people wont give up the comfort of modern life.

Not really, at least not fully. I don't consider van life to be anywhere near "quitting society".... you're still operating within the system. Using money to buy things, having a driver's license, etc. Really it's just an alternative lifestyle still very much within society.

In some places, I believe including in the US, you can renounce your citizenship and actually become a stateless person.... no passport, no birth certificate, nothing. That means you don't owe taxes but also you aren't entitled to any kind of benefits or protections either. You can basically be enslaved and your former government won't care or intervene, you'll be living like in medieval times where it's everyone for themselves.

Most countries don't allow you to give up your citizenship without another citizenship lined up to replace it. You're born into it without your consent and literally can't opt out.

Even if you become a stateless person, there's nowhere on earth for you to go that some country hasn't already claimed and imposed its rule on. So the best you can do is move from one society to another that is more in line with your values. Not escape it entirely. 

Even if you go live in a cave somewhere that's no guarantee that someone won't tell you that you're trespassing and kick you out. Joining a monastery is probably the closest to escaping "everyday life" but also just an alternative lifestyle within the confines of modern society.

@Someone here

You can "quit" how you perceive society. 

Society is a construct. 

When you truly see this, you'll stop the searching.

It sounds like you want freedom from your own perceptions.

Keep doing the work and freedom is yours eventually. 

Edited by Surfingthewave

Take a sabbatical for a couple of months. You probably deserve it at this point.

If you want to truly be removed from society, stop following what happens. Avoid speaking or communicating to anyone at all. Keep communication with others to the barest minimum. This involves any kind of social exchange, including speaking, email, texting or sign language (tts online).

Edited by KellyDavis

On 4/5/2021 at 2:50 PM, Someone here said:

I can't even quit this forum let alone quitting society :D

LOL same

On 4/5/2021 at 9:40 AM, Someone here said:

It does feel that expectations from society nowadays are too high. I also find myself exhausted and longing for an extended periods of isolation.

camping sounds heavenly to me right now :). I have also realised that a lot of the times I put a lot of expectations on myself and have realised the only way that I can deal with this is by putting very specific boundaries in place.. including my sleeping times. Quitting society is not always a possibility but if we are able to make time for ourselves somewhere during the week just to read.. sleep or do that fun thing that we have been wanting to do for ages..then I really do believe we can make it through these difficult times.o. ne day at a time. If anyone experienced with van life or living as a drop out have some info.. Please share. Of course the first concerns is how to survive.. Unless you have stable access to food and shelter etc.   

No, I don't think it's possible to quit society. Humans are kind of like wolves, we run in packs.

But you can always walk away. Just get up and start walking. Simple.

Trust God to show you the way.

On 4/5/2021 at 9:40 AM, Someone here said:

On 4/5/2021 at 11:50 AM, Someone here said:

I can't even quit this forum let alone quitting society

Takes a while probably.  If you really want to live the OG hermit-life, I think it's something you gotta build yourself up to.  I've been on a few solo retreats in the woods camping for like 5-7 days, I found it difficult.  But I'm sure if I built myself up and set things up properly, I could get used to it.  People can get used to all sorts of things: humans are probably one of the most adaptable creatures on the planet, maybe the most (considering how many ecological zones and climates we've survived in).

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

@Someone here I quit my job  and I refuse to work unless it's a remote job from home. Very tired of dealing with co-workers and patients. I have an interview for a remote job Monday.?

Edited by Ananta

“You don’t have problems; you are the problem.”

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

18 hours ago, Ananta said:

Very tired of dealing with co-workers and patients

Ya.  For me this is the hardest thing about a wage-slave job.

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

A bow, an arrow and a leaf, all a man needs. 

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?