kieranperez

Rupert Spira on Sam Harris Podcast

297 posts in this topic

The real mindfuck is that this is Sam Harris. 

brain-meme-02.jpg

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

@Preety_India I thought this was Sam Harris...

ben-stiller-9542437-1-402.jpg

Edited by Mason Riggle

"I could be the walrus. I'd still have to bum rides off people."

@Mason Riggle You are as deranged as MAGAs who think Trump was playing 4D chess the whole time.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura do you think those MAGA people are real?  I wonder. 

@Mason Riggle

Lolz...do we really need to start prefacing everything with "within the dream, the imaginary Sam Harris is a materialist."?  Its kind of a given when we speak that we are speaking dualistically :)

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

28 minutes ago, Mason Riggle said:

Outside' the paradigm of 'materialism' there is no Sam Harris, materially, who has a paradigm. 

If you think Sam Harris is a material person with material brain who has a paradigm from which he operates, this is only true from the materialist (or dualist) paradigm. 

tenor (1).gif

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

@Inliytened1 which is Sam's point. 

For Sam to be Sam (and not @Leo Gura and you and me), materialism is the paradigm in which he is. 

3 minutes ago, Mason Riggle said:

@Inliytened1 which is Sam's point. 

For Sam to be Sam (and not @Leo Gura and you and me), materialism is the paradigm in which he is. 

I haven't listened to much of him - but i think he really still believes consciousness  exists within the brain - and that's it - not that materialism is nested within idealism.  That materialism is it.

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

@Inliytened1 I think he operates from a paradigm in which materialism is probably the case, without being tied to that being necessarily the case. (As does @Leo Gura, when he speaks about Sam Harris being a material person, while understanding that it might also be the case that Harris is Leo is God is you is me).

"I might be a brain in a vat" - Sam Harris

Edited by Mason Riggle

@Mason Riggle If non-duality was a worm, it ate your brain. That is the real reason why you keep saying it doesn't exist ^_^

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

@Carl-Richard when have I ever said that? Quote me. 

I think reality is 'non-dual'. There's one infinite nothing/everything.

I only seem to be 'me', separate from Everything, when I forget this, or when I/God pretend (imagine, dream, create separateness through duality) that I'm not 'all of this'.

10 minutes ago, Mason Riggle said:

@Carl-Richard when have I ever said that? Quote me. 

I think reality is 'non-dual'. There's one infinite nothing/everything.

I only seem to be 'me', separate from Everything, when I forget this, or when I/God pretend (imagine, dream, create separateness through duality) that I'm not 'all of this'.

Well, you said this:

1 hour ago, Mason Riggle said:

'Outside' the paradigm of 'materialism' there is no Sam Harris, materially, who has a paradigm. 

If you think Sam Harris is a material person with material brain who has a paradigm from which he operates, this is only true from the materialist (or dualist) paradigm. 

You're saying Sam Harris doesn't exist. How can brains exist when Sam Harris doesn't exist?:

1 hour ago, Preety_India said:

The real mindfuck is that this is Sam Harris. 

brain-meme-02.jpg

xDxDxDxDxD 

Edited by Carl-Richard

1 minute ago, Carl-Richard said:

How can brains exist when Sam Harris doesn't exist? 

xDxDxDxDxD 

Who says Sam Harris doesn't exist (other than non materialsits)? 

Perhaps Sam doesn't exist, materially, in which case, neither does his paradigm)

To admit of Sam Harris and Sam Harris' paradigm existing, is to be 'dual'. 

10 minutes ago, Mason Riggle said:

Who says Sam Harris doesn't exist (other than non materialsits)? 

Perhaps Sam doesn't exist, materially, in which case, neither does his paradigm)

To admit of Sam Harris and Sam Harris' paradigm existing, is to be 'dual'. 

Look man, in order to communicate properly, you have to engage in relative concepts. Everyone here is conceding to that point by using words (whether consciously or unconsciously is beside the point). By consistently invoking non-dual doublespeak, you're only making it harder for yourself and other people to understand you. What you're doing here is syntactical self-immolation, non-dual wankery, and ironically egoic autofellatio (I just did it aswell).

Edited by Carl-Richard

Consciousness is nothing more than the direct experience of the body/ mind organism and it's perceptual imagination.

This is why you're not conscious of what the neighbor had for dinner tonight or how many fingers I'm holding up behind my back or what's happening at a gas station in China.

If a meteor annihilated planet Earth and all life was destroyed instantaneously... it would be completely lights out... there would not be anything left to claim such a thing as consciousness.

There would not even be a memory of existence ever existing. ❤

Surprise!!

“Everything is honoured, but nothing matters.” — Eckhart Tolle.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

A whole lot of misunderstandings. Harris sees no difference between awareness and consciousness. He says "my consciousness" and Rupert does not address this. Sam is not conscious. Consciousness is Sammy. The fact that Rupert's lights went out during surgery and that the world continued does not disprove Rupert's claims. Ruper seemed to have been bamboozled by this rhetoric.

Also, nonduality does not exclude science, which was the main point over which Sam got so defensive about!

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

Harris also didn't seem to understand Spira when he said "there was no discontinuity of consciousness" during his operation. Harris thought there must be such a thing because the surgeons were at work.

He didn't grasp that from the POV of consciousness, there are no discontinuities, ever.

Stories are made for children to fall asleep, and adults to wake up.