Guru

OneNote for Mac. Troubleshooting Commonplace Book

37 posts in this topic

Guys should get an HP laptop like I did. Stupidest thing ever. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

Huwaei released new sexy looking laptops. I think huwaei hardware easily beats many brands, maybe even apple for the price? 

I am the only thing stopping myself from receiving infinite Love form Myself. I am Infinite Love for god sake.

1 hour ago, Preety_India said:

Guys should get an HP laptop like I did. Stupidest thing ever. 

Hp products are not bad, Preetz!

You've bought a good one.

@ajai To answer your first question: 

12 hours ago, ajai said:

Firstly, I would just ask this question:

Why in the world a mac user would purchase a mac, when ultimately you have to make it a windows machine, what for?

I did not purchase a mac for my commonplace book. Ive used this system my entire life. I chose apple as a young teenager because I am an artist, graphic designer and video producer among many other things. It was by far the better choice for an artist at the time. Started with an imac, then macbook pro and now a new macbook pro in order to keep the ability to transfer files from the older devices as I work on projects that span several years. 

Running windows is a means to an end, 

12 hours ago, ajai said:

I have been using and maintaining a commonplace workbook in ms-onenote for a long time now, and it's awesome as it saves and keeps the file temporarily (it's just that we don't get that "save" it happens by default) on local storage till you sync it, over cloud, now whether you sync it instantly or after a month it's there it's non volatile, and after all local storage is not something you can trust always, you never know about any mal function and file getting corrupt, cloud storage is the go-to thing going into the future, it's secure, fast, reliable and the shit can be accessed across the devices too.

Just to be clear. You said you've been using it a long time now. Which version of MsNote are you using on what hardware?

12 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

I've always run Windows on my Macbook Air. Wouldn't even consider anything else.

But if you are a Mac person running MacOS, I suggest you find an commonplace book software that works on your desired platform. OneNote is awesome for Windows, but it's not the only game in town.

@Leo Gura Can we get to the meat of the discussion regarding local, cloud storage or both? 

Regardless of running Windows on an Apple device. The only reason I'm considering running windows is to gain the local storage function.

12 hours ago, ajai said:

Let's learn and try to adapt to the new technology of this day n age.

I have no problem with cloud storage as a backup but it cant be the only storage,

My first issue is that you are required to sign in using a Microsoft account in order to begin using the program. So thats already one boundary to accessing my data, regardless of if its stored locally. 

@Leo Gura Do you have to sign in to OneNote using your microsoft account with the OneNote'10 version you are using? Is there no way around this?

13 hours ago, ajai said:

I have been using and maintaining a commonplace workbook in ms-onenote for a long time now, and it's awesome as it saves and keeps the file temporarily (it's just that we don't get that "save" it happens by default) on local storage till you sync it, over cloud, now whether you sync it instantly or after a month it's there it's non volatile, and after all local storage is not something you can trust always, you never know about any mal function and file getting corrupt, cloud storage is the go-to thing going into the future, it's secure, fast, reliable and the shit can be accessed across the devices too.

Does it store locally AND on the cloud? 

Ive used cloud services like Dropbox and Googledrive for years. Most of my business and life relies on the Google server and Im already not comfortable with that. Im trying to invest in something more secure and seamless. Leo makes a very valid point as to why local storage is more resilient.

I don't know what's an issue with Windows laptops. I have bought used 2014 Dell for $160 and installed Windows 10 on it. It has great keyboard, trackpad and runs lightning fast for the purpose of browsing web and writting. The only thing I can't do on it is play newer games like Trackmania 2020, but this PC was cheaper than my smartphone, so who cares.

6 minutes ago, Guru said:

Do you have to sign in to OneNote using your microsoft account with the OneNote'10 version you are using? Is there no way around this?

I use OneNote 2010, which is completely locally stored.

For most people cloud storage is probably good enough. I like local storage because I'm a control freak. Unless you're a power-user or a control freak, cloud storage should meet all your needs. And it is technically more reliable.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

12 hours ago, Space said:

@Guru A program called 'Outline' is a great alternative for Mac users. It's what I use and its worked great. Very similar layout and functionality to OneNote and it lets you save directly onto your hard drive.

Thanks for the tip! I did not see this yet in my research, so this is helpful.  Im checking it out now!

I'm searching for a good Android option or simply a website that doesn't shut down lol. 

Evernote doesn't allow a website entry 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

11 hours ago, Joel3102 said:

I use Onenote on my Mac just fine.

however I had to do some digging to find the 2016 version before it became shittier. Try this link which worked for me

https://onenote.uservoice.com/forums/327165-onenote-for-mac/suggestions/19829044-solution-to-getting-older-version-of-onenote-with

If you prefer this version just make sure you have auto update turned off 

Interesting, @Joel3102 This might be worth a try first! I would have to uninstall the version I just bought. It seems like I should have started here before I bought anything xD 

2 hours ago, Guru said:

Which version of MsNote are you using on what hardware?

It says OneNote version 16.44 (I thought it's Office 2019 that I got on-board, but anyway whatever it is), I use it on MacBook Air.

2 hours ago, Guru said:

Does it store locally AND on the cloud? 

Locally as in, content is there whether you sync it over cloud or not, it stays as it is, and there's no separate saving option so to say, it saves it by default, but it gives you a pop-up in the dialog box consistently, for let's say- "You have been working offline for 4 days"— To remind you that sync it, save it on cloud.

Even I didn't know about the genius of OneNote, until May this year, but since then it has been helping me a lot, for journaling purpose, and I can only thanks Leo Sir for that.

I love the text edits on mac(native app). I have a big tree folder with dozens of them. I like it, it's simple text edit nothing fancy but you can still imbed files and images it's great.

Sailing on the ceiling 

I dont know about you guys and girls, but be careful about buying asus laptops. I had one come in the mail today for me and it had multiple issues, for one, the wifi card in the thing refused to connect to wifi and the gpu refused to work on the laptop display, so it was running cpu graphics no matter what sort of cmd forcing I tried. Its ironic because my acer laptop stays connected just fine in the same location. So I'm getting the asus laptop taken back in the morning. So stay weary of asus in the laptop department. Acer computers have really good speakers. 

Love life and your Health, INFJ Visionary

OneNote is cool but I wish it had an option to put notebooks inside of notebooks, ad infinitum. I will soon have way too many notebooks with no organisation. 

Edited by lmfao

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

I gotta disagree with some of you, I think Windows 10 is an awesome OS.

Xidax makes beautiful Windows 10 laptops, wouldn't buy a computer from any other company.

Edited by Nash

On 12/22/2020 at 0:53 AM, Space said:

@Guru A program called 'Outline' is a great alternative for Mac users. It's what I use and its worked great. Very similar layout and functionality to OneNote and it lets you save directly onto your hard drive.

It works on Mac and it uses the same file format as OneNote, but it's far from OneNote in terms of functionality. And even OneNote itself on Mac is far from functionality from the one on Windows, and besides, it's not offline, hence, yet even more useless.

Windows is shit in my opinion, but there's no alternative to OneNote, on Windows or elsewhere, whatsoever, the one I know of. And it's a joy to make notes in OneNote on Windows.

The bottom line is, there're only OneNote 2016 on Windows and Outline on Mac, both offline, and that's it. Therefore, one has to have Windows on a flash usb drive to be able to run it with OneNote on it.

For Linux there's OneNote, unofficial, but it isn't offline.

And for some reason, after a recent update of Outline, OneNote on Windows couldn't open one page from a backup made by Outline - "corrupted".

Edited by rnd

What are peoples opinions on Evernote? I have been using that, and my reMarkable as my commonplace book. I like use my reMarkable for its distraction free design tbh. However, I think my note taking system can be upgraded. I find it helps me get into a deeper note taking while reading books and kindle. I will compare it to onenote this week.

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"