PurpleTree

Do you jog?

31 posts in this topic

I'm going jogging right about now.

Ordered some good jogging shoes during the pandemic when fitness centers etc. closed 

and i'm usually going to the forrest which is about 5 mins from where i live.

There are also some pull up bars, which is nice.

Feels great to break a sweat sometimes. Especially in these computer centric times.

Absolutely loving my morning runs. And there are some pull up bars as well on my route, so I stop there and do a couple of pulls usually. 

There's something about breaking a sweat, it's like getting away from it all, It's a very meditative experience. 

Wish I had a forest to run in. :D

Edited by fridjonk

18 minutes ago, fridjonk said:

Absolutely loving my morning runs. And there are some pull up bars as well on my route, so I stop there and do a couple of pulls usually. 

There's something about breaking a sweat, it's like getting away from it all, It's a very meditative experience. 

Wish I had a forest to run in. :D

oh yea the forest is great. also the floor isn't as hard which is better for the knees and lots of oxygen because of the trees. it's pretty steep sometimes though.

19 minutes ago, dflores321 said:

I stopped a few months back due to shin splints.

I get them as well if I tie my shoes too tightly. There's almost a whole science on how I go about tying my shoes, lol. 

Love my Mizuno running shoes btw, highly recommend them. 

Y'all are taking about shoes a lot I hope you're not running on your heels. 

You'll fuck up your knees. 

Land on the mid foot and try to softly absorb the impact. 

37 minutes ago, dflores321 said:

yes they're a bitch, make me paranoid too lol. I think with the right shoes you can avoid it. Did a change in shoes stop your shin splints? I've always had issues with that.

Running in "real" running shoes made a massive impact. Bought 220$ dollar (don't have to be so expensive) shoes about 3 years ago and it feels like gliding on clouds. I always had knee problems and shin splints. It all got so much better after getting the proper footwear. And most importantly after I started taking a joint supplement, that was a massive game-changer for all the aches on my runs. 

I still get the shin splints if I tie the shoe too tightly still. I probably need to get custom soles made, but I'm managing Ok with my loose tied laces.:)

1 hour ago, Opo said:

Y'all are taking about shoes a lot I hope you're not running on your heels. 

You'll fuck up your knees. 

Land on the mid foot and try to softly absorb the impact. 

Absolutely. Also important to not run too fast down hill, can increase the chances of runner's knee. 

3 hours ago, fridjonk said:

And most importantly after I started taking a joint supplement, that was a massive game-changer for all the aches on my runs. 

what's in the supplement?

i have "on" running shoes, they're also great

3 hours ago, fridjonk said:

Running in "real" running shoes made a massive impact. Bought 220$ dollar (don't have to be so expensive) shoes about 3 years ago and it feels like gliding on clouds.

I am not running/ walking as much as I was now, but still jogging like 4 miles every other day. I was burning through a pair of $60 running shoes every two months before it seemed like. I can't imagine if I spent more they would last much longer though either. I would bet they would feel amazing though at the higher prices. 

I find it really helpful to actually try the shoes on and find the best feeling pair. I have seen places that actually get ones more formed to the way you run, but I don't know of any locations for stuff like that here. 

I've run since I was 10. Absolutely love everything about it. Now that I'm in my 30's I find light trail running to be a huge boost physically and mentally but high mileage on pavement not so great for my body, although the runner's highs from long runs, OMG.

If you're getting shin splints watch increasing mileage too fast and make an effort to really watch and train your form. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

I use to go for 40 minute jogs, but then my IT band started hurting. 

It turns out I need to have stronger glute muscles and stronger muscles overall so I am trying to focus on that.

Some people say jogging is bad, it takes a toll on your joints, but personally I love the feeling.

I like to jog, but only when the weather is cold (usually winter). The colder the better. Shoutout to my man, Wim Hof :D 

(Of couse only in shorts and just a T-shirt)

Edited by nistake

Jogging  is my favorite method of easing stress and anxiety, great for the mind and body. Just be careful at pollution, wrong movement schemes and pavement which ruins the joints with time.

Edited by Alexop

11 hours ago, PurpleTree said:

what's in the supplement?

It's from an Icelandic company, but you can probably find something similar. Main ingredients are: 

• hyaluronic acid 20mg
  • polysaccharides 3.2mg
  • collagen 1.6mg
  • chondroitin sulfphate 200mg
  • Vitamin-C 60mg
  • Omega-3 fatty acids 620mg
11 hours ago, Average Investor said:

I am not running/ walking as much as I was now, but still jogging like 4 miles every other day. I was burning through a pair of $60 running shoes every two months before it seemed like. I can't imagine if I spent more they would last much longer though either. I would bet they would feel amazing though at the higher prices. 

I find it really helpful to actually try the shoes on and find the best feeling pair. I have seen places that actually get ones more formed to the way you run, but I don't know of any locations for stuff like that here. 

The ones I got don't have any gel or foam, they use some sort of wave plate technology, like a spring. I've probably ran around 400 miles in them and they still feel like new. But I don't doubt if they were gel, they'd be at the end of their life. They're called Mizuno Wave Prophecy 5. They were made for really long-distance running and are super sturdy and well constructed. 

10 hours ago, dflores321 said:

The rule is your first two fingers should fit under the tongue of the shoe, that should help with your tightness issue. 

I really hope getting a good pair of running shoes will prevent shin splints.

Yeah I go by that rule, but it has to be very accurately spot on, lol. 

If you have really bad shin splints, then I'd definitely advise going to a professional to get the right shoes and insoles. 

10 hours ago, mandyjw said:

although the runner's highs from long runs, OMG.

Right! Feels so great. 

3 hours ago, nistake said:

I like to jog, but only when the weather is cold (usually winter). The colder the better. Shoutout to my man, Wim Hof :D 

(Of couse only in shorts and just a T-shirt)

Wim hof gang! I'm waiting for the snow here so I can go for my winter t-shirt runs. xD People look at you like you're insane, lol. 

@Akemrelax Yeah it's kind of important to do some sort of strength training alongside running, especially if you run much. After I started working on loosening my hip flexors, strengthening my glutes, hamstrings, and quads it all got a lot better and smoother.  

Also, foam rolling is awesome to get the muscles more loose and flexible.  

Edited by fridjonk

yesterday when i ran it was cold though and my lungs hurt for like the first 20 minutes from the cold air i guess.

already thought i might have the covid :P

Edited by PurpleTree

Beginner reporting in.
Had to stop recently because of a knee injury that I got from falling off a bike lol.

Super helpful with back muscle pain, quality of sleep and overall wellbeing.

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

I ALWAYS feel great after a jog. I do t have any woods near me but i have a school with a quarter mile track close by. I like to go late at night. Its quiet. Just me and the track.

I'm a big fan of running, and even bigger fan of running in the forest! It's such a great way to move and be in nature.

Lately I've been running 5 times and 65km per week. I'd like to be running a bit more like 7 times and 100km/week.

When you're new to running, make sure you're building up slowly. The rule of thumb is to increase your mileage by no more than 10-20% per week. Lots of easy running at the beginning is the way to go, and you can gradually introduce chunks of hard running or speed work as you progress, but always keep the majority of your running at a pretty easy pace. This is how you avoid injury and keep it enjoyable.

How to get to infinity? Divide by zero.

Heck ya.  I get super sore calves and Achilles though each time... any suggestions? 

Yes.  Run + Forest = SUPER PUMP: feel like a savage running through the woods... getting tribal... getting back those feelings of adrenalin of hunting and just "sending it" out in the bush... surviving... dominating...hunting...chasing...charging...

FragrantShorttermDromaeosaur-max-1mb.gif Kinda like this guy yelling. :P  

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins