28 cm unbuffed

Video games

38 posts in this topic

Why not try Cyberpunk 2077

It's fun. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

The question has already been answered but here's my input...

Video games are great escapism, as long as you are moving forward towards your goals and ambitions, it's not bad to have fun.

It's probably good for you in some ways.

Stay off doing drugs and you'll be fine.

Edited by ravlondon

I did a year off games and just game back recently. I am playing one day a week as a day to just blow off some steam. I have a very clean life style with media intake etc. I find it helps me and I am a bit excited to play on the day. I have some negative effects from it that others might not get. I get a good amount of balance of doing the whole next day with no electronics and meditation. 

One thing I notice is a lot of the games are just super violent anymore. I have not found a title that I would enjoy that is not it seems like. I have to admit it is a bit of a con to it. Leo had mentioned a good tip was to just spend time playing the best games. Not just filling your time with games, but playing high quality ones when they come out. That had a good effect on me for how I would look at them. I notice now there is not many good games out at all. I also might not have got the taste I am looking for though either. I do like survival exploring type games, so might give the Cyberpunk 2077 @Preety_India mentioned a try. I found it to be the same with music too. I cut out all of my music for a month and came back to do a full reset. I allowed myself to explore all sorts of stuff and found much more enjoyable and higher conscious stuff. 

With myself I notice a slight fear of getting too sucked into them though. I can't imagine I would blow my time like I use to though lol. My self control is really good though anymore. I could just stop playing them altogether if I wanted to. But I do have an authentic desire to play them and I probably need to add something fun into my life style. I rarely hangout with people in person anymore and I might take up stuff like solo hiking and stuff soon, but I am probably not going to do that every weekend. 

This might give you some thoughts on it too. Worth a listen for sure. 

Video games are awesome and never let any plainly ignorant person tell you otherwise. Obviously they are fun to interact with but on a deeper level they employ every artistic discipline currently conceivable by man, generate shitloads of money and jobs (the video game industry has effectively eliminated the "starving artist", if you're a starving artist apply for a job at video game development team), inspire a great deal of passion in the creators and players, and most amazing of all if you have a halfway decent computer you can make your own for free and make millions of dollars:

https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/faq

"This license is free to use and incurs 5% royalties when you monetize your game or other interactive off-the-shelf product and your lifetime gross revenues from that product exceed $1,000,000 USD." 

19 hours ago, 28 cm unbuffed said:

@HP Lovecraft

Of course it's fucking awesome, althought, the video game industries are mostly devil right now and it's really easy to get addicted to that shit.

Requires a lot of self-discipline and will power.

"the video game industries are mostly devil right now", what do you mean by that exactly? How so?

@28 cm unbuffed Work hard, play hard.

If you’re seriously focused at work you’ll have cycles where you have less time for fun in general, but then they’ll be cycles where you allow yourself to have more relaxation time & fun. 

Video games are just a form of fun, if you aren’t addicted and it’s improving your life than go for it. 

I play sports games socially with a few friends, Fifa if you’ve heard of it, but only certain game modes, there’s a game mode called “Ultimate Team” that is really toxic for getting kids addicted & getting them to spend £1000s to get the best cards, it’s essentially allowing gambling for U18s & that mode alone earns them billions, but I think they’re starting to investigate this. 

@HP Lovecraft I agree, video games are a form of art, unfortunately they have been taken over partially by Excess stage orange (just like other mainstream forms of art) meaning that some parts have become toxic, but that isn’t Video Games fault per se, it’s a side effect of the society we live in! 

Anyways sorry for the rant, just choose your games carefully and have fun!

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

'Peace and Happiness are inherent in Consciousness.' Rupert Spira 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi

6 hours ago, HP Lovecraft said:

"the video game industries are mostly devil right now", what do you mean by that exactly? How so?

As someone who has worked on games as a voice actor and is looking to write on some the people that work on these games from Game developers, writers and voice actors are severely underpaid.  It was so bad that it caused SAG-Aftra voice actors to go on strike until a new deal was made.  Games like call of duty make five times more money than Avatar, yet none of that was trickling down.  Now it’s pennies of the dollars.  It’s worse than the music industry.  

I hate to be that guy.  But video games are a complete waste of time and completely antithetical to your growth as a person.  

The reason why video games are fun in the first place is that they are life on easy mode, straight forward goals and easy rewards.  Video games are the media equivalent of fast food.  

You can always try to rationalize it by saying video games are art, or something like that, but you're simply not being honest with yourself.  Sometimes when something seems fun you have to be extremely skeptical about whether or not its good for you.  True growth is almost always uncomfortable at least in some fashion.  

Play your games, but look at it in the same way if you cracked on your diet and ate a bowl of icecream, because that's exactly what you're doing.  You're engaging in an addictive behavior.  

@Heart of Space

My life is at the point, where I'm basically working, eating, exercising, and sleeping, so I am sure that playing video games is just something I can allow myself for like 1 hour a day. 

That topic was created, when I wasn't that honest with myself and I used it as an escape mechanism

Edited by 28 cm unbuffed

Imagine you've never seen any kind of video game before.

Here you are inspecting it for the first time, "what does this button do, oh it turns on, oh there's some graphics on a screen [ game name is _____ ], what happens when I press this? Oh now I'm a first person character. Interesting terrain. What happens when I do this? I wonder what's around this corner", etc.

There are a few things we can infer from that sentence:

• The video game is activating:
  1. curiosity
  2. memory (you'll need to remember the locations)
  3. perceptual capabilities
  4. relational abilities --- knowing that x button corresponds to y action
  5. and more

To this end, the video game is mentally stimulating and to the extent that the game continually activates these regions of the brain, you're probably making yourself more intelligent. However for most games this is simply not the case given how the monotony of video games can often eventually be compared to "real life" which is the very reason why video games might become boring after a while. However, most games these days often have many psychological elements that, even though the games themselves are no longer especially mentally challenging in the way they were initially, are keeping you hooked because of said psychological conditions. Those psychological conditions could include but are not limited to:

1. making you feel like you're doing something productive when in reality your brain is just being tricked 
  2. making you feel like you're achieving something when in reality, its analogous to just imagining a scenario in which you're achieving something making that psychological mechanism simultaneously ridiculous in its action but quite humorous and elegant in how sneakily it tricks people when its used in video games
  3. making you feel like you're special
  4. making you feel like you're a part of a community even though most gamers rarely meet each other in real life, there's many games that are taken online where people are quite avid supporters of the league they may be a part of, analogous to being football player or a basketball player in a major league sport for example even though you may not get paid nearly as much per year (though I'm not saying gamers don't get money - but most don't that's the reality)
  5. many more

So if we take the initial conditions that turn the video game into something that's a legitimate mental challenge and apply them to real life, all of a sudden the novelty presented by the games themselves when applied analogously have great use.

You shouldn't be trying to understand a game in order to "have fun playing it", you should be learning to have fun trying to understand all of life.

This doesn't mean I'm at all against playing games for community fun when the time serves approrpiartely, not individual fun though, at least not unless its truly benefiting ones brain, which it arguably doesn't and in many cases arguably puts it in reverse depending on the game itself relative to suitable comparisons. 

Chess for example is analogous to a video game, if all video games were made to the complexity of chess and Go, I'd be all for it but its not, its turned into something where they just want to hack your brain. So now its dangerous. Legitimately.

As for real life, you're here right now playing that video game at the beginning. What do all those icons correspond to on the bottom left hand side of this page? Who's the owner of them? How did they create that business? What are its negative effects versus positive effects? What kind of alternate platforms might be created in the future?

And if you just keep on playing that game, wow, you'll be living a much better life in 12 months time if this is something you're not used to.

@Origins

Yeah, playing life is really cool and leveling up is fun as fuck. We'll see, there are some old habits of mine, that still stick with me, I'm not forcing anything, just stopping immediately always ended up bringning diminishing returns. As I let go of this perfectionism they slowly devolve / become more healthy. Cool answer btw

@28 cm unbuffed Your awareness has dimensions you can scarcely imagine, myself included. Those glimpses of greater dimensionality you experience in relation to your perception, chase those, they will enlighten your experience and broaden your associative horizon. All minds are echo chambers and our associative horizon is what echo's.

Edited by Origins

On 10/1/2020 at 0:02 PM, 28 cm unbuffed said:

Lately, I'm wondering - I had similar mindset as Leo has, to grind hard, work hard, I can't remember when I watched a movie, I started playing some video games lately, but it's like 2 hours for like last 6 months.

What I mean is, he ment, that he had to become less obsessed, more chill, laid-back and I'm thinking, if that's a good idea to go back into gaming. What do you guys think?
I'm thinking about playing PvP (player versus player) arenas, so it might be really nice thing to improve my cognitive skills. Or am I just deluding myself?

I would take different approach, responsibilities first and only then I can allow myself to play. I would also go really serious about it and treat it more like competition then fun, so it really would affect my psychology in a good way.

Thank you for your kind responses.

Bless!

Theres definitely good sides to it from my experience. I mean, with the pandemic, Its the only thing thats kept me social. Without gaming online with friends here and there id be in a social drought.

Though doth not want these hands! - Jesus

uf uf uf i would play video games (ALL of them)  forever, but reality.....

Anything, in excess, is unhealthy. That includes meditation and personal growth. Recreation is not only ok, but it is necessary. Recreation, in excess, is also unhealthy ;)

Why not try the best of both worlds? I recently played Walden, a Game, and loved it. Take the time to enjoy the reading rocks along the way, so much wisdom there.

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.