lmfao

Why should I be good to others?

43 posts in this topic

You should be good to others, because these "others" are just as much you as the "me inside this body" you believe you are.

Of course it takes a lot of consciousness work to realize Oneness, i.e. that there is only one Self, which is what you are, and which is what everything and everyone else is too. This 'Self' is equal to Nothingness, Consciousness, God, Love, etc :> The 'I' you think you are, i.e. a separate self stuck in a body, experiencing an outside material world: that is illusion. You aren't stuck in a body. You are absolutely nothing, thus everything, imagining everything from nothing, including "yourself" and "others".

Edited by WaveInTheOcean

Can you bite your own teeth?  --  “What a caterpillar calls the end of the world we call a butterfly.

On 17/09/2020 at 3:57 PM, Leo Gura said:

If there was a reason for being good, then it wouldn't be good. Contemplate it.

For good to be good, it must be done for its own sake. Selflessly. Which is why Good = selflessness. If you are trying to do good for a reason, that is selfishness, and that is evil.

yessssss

Compare your current-self with your five-year self. One identity, yet two wildly different states, separated by time.

Compare your current-self with the homeless guy down the street. One identity, yet two wildly different states, separated by space.

Compassion isn't a point of judgement. It's a recognition that personal identity is an illusion, and that service to others is service to self, and service to self is service to others.

If it is experienced by One, then it is experienced by all, and if it is experienced by all, then it is experienced by One.

Or in other words: If you care more about your own family than you do the homeless guy down the street, then you're doing it wrong.

On 17/9/2020 at 8:57 PM, Leo Gura said:

For good to be good, it must be done for its own sake.

But then isn't Good done for a reason?

It is done by you for its own sake, so it seems an egoic action.

It seems no more selfless than doing some altruistic type of evil (in the sense that when you do something altruistic, you do it to help people, but helping people makes your identity feel good, hence "evil").

But again, non-altruistic evil (murder, crimes, etc.) is a distorted, narrow form of love directed primarily towards the self with the exclusion of others.

It seems to me that unconditional good or love is not possible even in theory. Or that evil=selflessness (not Selflessness with capital S). A circular paradox.

Even saying that "all is one" doesn't make the situation any better, because then you collapsed the duality, but a new self is created (the fusion of you/others) which becomes the new identity that gains benefits from doing good.

Edited by Superfluo

Been on the healing journey for 5 committed years: traumas, deep wounds, negative beliefs, emotional blockages, internal fragmentation, blocked chakras, tight muscles, deep tensions, dysfunctional relationship dynamics. --> Check out my posts for info on how to heal:

https://www.actualized.org/forum/topic/82579-what-causes-anhedonia-how-can-it-be-cured/?page=2#comment-1167003

It's about you, not them.
Everything in your life is about you, not anyone else.
The only reason you do anything is to feel good, it's the only thing you care about if you're honest.

Sharing, caring, compassion, love, goodwill, intimacy, appreciation, devotion, all of that feels good for the sake of feeling good.
That's it, that's the only reason, and it doesn't feel like a reason, because it's a feeling you have, of union with everything else.

Of course a lot of people only read about it and obey implicit social laws about it (or scriptures), but it's one thing to think about it and apply it because you feel you have to, and it's another to do it because you genuinely feel it and want to expand on it.

So read some books about that, and apply it in your life (I don't know which, I hope some people here can link some :) ).
You're gonna feel very vulnerable and fearful at first, but it's worth it :)

72faf1834ef3a671a5de5f9cb4359bf6.png

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

You shouldn't if you don't want to. Being good to others is just like being good to yourself when you intuit or actually KNOW that others are YOU.

Edited by cuteguy

@Shin @cuteguy

Guys, thanks for the support, but my question was not a personal one. I was questioning the nature and inner mechanics of Goodness.

Been on the healing journey for 5 committed years: traumas, deep wounds, negative beliefs, emotional blockages, internal fragmentation, blocked chakras, tight muscles, deep tensions, dysfunctional relationship dynamics. --> Check out my posts for info on how to heal:

https://www.actualized.org/forum/topic/82579-what-causes-anhedonia-how-can-it-be-cured/?page=2#comment-1167003

1 hour ago, Mikael89 said:

I'm really starting to think that it's all about Love.

To all you who complain about that people then use you: and? Maybe Love means that you would be glad to suffer so others can "use" you or whatever. What do you think the massive suffering of Jesus Christ was all about?

Man.. this stuff is so good..

I can sense that a explosion of Love might happen (again)..

I really Love everyone. I don't have bad feelings for anyone.

Is this delusion? Maybe, but whatever.

What a beautiful comment! I love you too, Mikael.

@Mikael89

That's wonderful, but only if your decision of letting people suck your love for their only benefit comes from a place of conscious decision and not from a place of dysfunctional abandoning yourself. Otherwise it's not love, it's an unhealthy reenactment of a dysfunctional relationship behaviour that's not based on unconditional love

6 minutes ago, Superfluo said:

@Mikael89

That's wonderful, but only if your decision of letting people suck your love for their only benefit comes from a place of conscious decision and not from a place of dysfunctional abandoning yourself. Otherwise it's not love, it's an unhealthy reenactment of a dysfunctional relationship behaviour that's not based on unconditional love

Just trust him, man. Why do you have to be like that? ?

@cuteguy @Nahm I've been there, I know how sneaky we can be. But I also know that this isn't his case. He's more loving than I am as I see from his post. Mine was not aimed to undermine his love, but to point out traps that everyone can fall into. Like a friendly reminder.

@Superfluo Love and goodness are wise and canny, they give people what they need, not what they want. Think about your own desires, is it loving to yourself to give in to them all? Spend the day gorging on cheetos and netflix, or discipline yourself against the grain with spirituality and self development work? Similarly, allowing someone to exploit you isn't being loving to anyone, that's a naive version of love. 

Edited by snowyowl

Relax, it's just my loosely held opinion.  :) 

It's hard for people to be good to others and enjoy it when they haven't figured out how to love themselves first and let go. You cannot love and be compassionate with other people if you can't first do so with yourself. Humans are selfish when their needs aren't met, even if those needs are conceptual, because they're very real if you make them real. All you can do is figure out how to get rid of the veil. Once the veil, filter, lens, whatever you want to call it is gone, you're free to do what your heart wants you to do, which will just be to love. It may seem like being caring and good to others will make you vulnerable, but it actually makes you more secure than you could ever imagine when done right. This can't really be reasoned, needs to be experienced.

Express yourself.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

Why not?

&

Who is 'I' that's asking?

“Everything is honoured, but nothing matters.” — Eckhart Tolle.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi