Leo Gura

Libertarian Examples Mega-Thread

187 posts in this topic

So... I've gotten some pushback from libertartians that I am strawmanning their arguments. Of course we don't want that. So let's see some real-life self-proclaimed libertarians arguing for their ideology and their policy proposals.

Post video examples here so people can get a true sense of how libertarians think and how my critiques of libertarianism applies to their logic.

Then people can judge for themselves if libertarianism holds any water.

You see... one of the things I made sure to do in my Libertarianism critique is to focus on libertarianism as it functions in the real world, not as it is written about in academic books. What I have found is that while libertarianism may sound reasonable in an academic book, when it is practiced by real people in the real world, it looks far less flattering. That's what you'd expect from an ideology which is highly idealistic and philosophical. The philosophy can look good on paper, but then when you use it to build an actual real-world thing, it turns to shit. Similar to what happened with Communism in the Soviet era. It sounded a lot better on paper than it turned out in practice.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Don't be scared of Libertarianism. 

It could be the new future. 

Anyway progressive - ism is the hottest trend right now. Whether people like it or not. 

Liberals like me pushing for change through protesting. 

Chaz was shut down but the voices behind Chaz won't be silenced. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

20 minutes ago, Preety_India said:

What can government do to crub teenage pregnancy??? Nothing? Really??? He doesn't know?

Sex ed, free condoms, birth control

This is the lack of systems thinking and collective responsibility that I was talking about.

And actually, government plays a huge role in making people "virtuous". That is the whole point. Good government can enable the development of virtuous citizens.

Government's not good at doing things? Government does the most difficult task in the world, managing a powerful military. If government can do that, it can do a lot of other stuff effectively. The problem is that people like Rand Paul defund government at every corner so of course it can't be good at doing things then.

@Leo Gura

Why can't we destroy all the governments and all the borders and create one world with one government at the top. 

Because there are always some sort of war and conflicts between different countries and governments and this is a huge threat to global peace and security. We never have a system where we don't do wars. 

I mean we have learned lessons from the horrors of the second world War and wars after that. 

Whats stopping the whole world from dissolving borders and creating  one government. 

It seems sad that the current uncertain state will always continue. So much oppression. So many bad governments. Wars. 

I don't think human life was meant to be so uncertain and stressful. To me this is needless. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

10 minutes ago, Preety_India said:

@Leo Gura

Why can't we destroy all the governments and all the borders and create one world with one government at the top. 

Because there are always some sort of war and conflicts between different countries and governments and this is a huge threat to global peace and security. We never have a system where we don't do wars.

Well, there's many layers of reasons why not.

Of course in theory it would be nice, but in practice we are all too selfish to sustain it. That would require massive degrees of consciousness, selflessness, and love, which less than 0.0001% of people are currently capable of.

Whats stopping the whole world from dissolving borders and creating  one government. 

The same thing that's stopping you from dissolving all your borders and merging into Infinity forever: fear of death.

I mean we have learned lessons from the horrors of the second world War and wars after that.

Not nearly deep enough.

Fascists and white supremacists are still going strong in 2020. They have basically taken over the White House. So clearly we are nowhere near ready. Nationalist movements are on the rise all around the world due to fear of globalization.

It seems sad that the current uncertain state will always continue. So much oppression. So many bad governments. Wars.

We are rapidly raising our collective consciousness when looked at in the geological time scale. But you are looking at this from the tiny time scale of your one personal life. That's why it seems like it will take forever. But in a few thousand years we might be really close to that ideal. A few thousand years is like a microsecond in God's mind.

I don't think human life was meant to be so uncertain and stressful. To me this is needless. 

Everything that happens in the Universe is absolutely necessary for the maximization of Love. Especially all the "evil". We are right where we need to be.

Prime example of a liberatarian,

Edited by Kailash Bhattarai

Dave Rubin has a stupid argument. Kyle kulinski destroys liberaterain Dave Rubin. Example of how liberatarian thinks. hig orange/Green critisizes liberaterian 

Edited by Kailash Bhattarai

A clip from the 2016 Libertarian presidential debate. The candidates answer the question “Should someone have to have a government-issued license to drive a car?”,  

@Husseinisdoingfine  Being self-depreciating is a good way to make yourself seem less threatening and less egotistical to other people, and hence more likely to listen to you. Of course sometimes it's good to show a sense of self-confidence too, but it all has to do with context

“All you need is Love” - John Lennon

TAKE IT TO THE LIMITS: Milton Friedman on Libertarianism

5 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

What I have found is that while libertarianism may sound reasonable in an academic book, when it is practiced by real people in the real world, it looks far less flattering.

Friedman is an academic, but his solutions are practical. One of the best defenders of the libertarian viewpoint. 

No idea where to write this so just going to throw it in here, am not after any responses. But spent the afternoon nipping around a few pubs just on my own having a few pints. Whilst listening to Leo’s latest video, through the podcast, just watching people knock about do their thing as they do. And listening to Leo’s no bullshit way of putting things whilst just taking in everyday life at the same time was so very eye opening. Top top listen that one??

1 hour ago, louhad said:

lol

I will give Ben Shapiro the “Least empathic person” award. 
I imagine him arguing with his wife, he would say “ok I said I’m sorry, let’s move on”, and then explaining her how she’s actually the one at fault and making things worst because she refuses to just forget about it. 

11 minutes ago, Jennjenn said:

I will give Ben Shapiro the “Least empathic person” award. 

Yes, Empathy is to division as garlic is to a vampire.

@Leo Gura A friend of mine took a deep dive into the history of neo-liberalism. He now thinks most of libertarianism is just a huge smokescreen created to gain popular support for neo-liberal economic policies which actually serve corporations and the rich, Milton Friendman being a typical example of neo-liberal propaganda disguised as libertarian belief. I wonder whether you think that's possible. 

8 hours ago, Forestluv said:

A clip from the 2016 Libertarian presidential debate. The candidates answer the question “Should someone have to have a government-issued license to drive a car?”,  

Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.j

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.