Chumbimba

What's wrong with Video Games ?

24 posts in this topic

I read books, I meditate, journal and currently learning python coding language. I want to buy a Nintendo switch since I havent played video games in a while but the thought of doing that makes me feel guilty. Why do I feel guilty ? is there a problem playing video games ? 

Does videogames interfere with your lifes long term plans?

If not, then there shouldnt be a problem. Besides, a videogame can be a really nice stress reliever and fun altogether!

However if you notice signs of addiction, then ditch games before the addiction grows deep roots.

Edited by Hansu

Because you are not productive while playing games. Do it after you had a productive day and you wont feel guilty.

As long as you dont use it as an escape from the real work and dont use it as an excuse to not do anything your good.

1 hour ago, Chumbimba said:

Why do I feel guilty ? is there a problem playing video games ? 

There is a problem playing video games if you feel guilty. 

Guilt is a self indulging sorrow that is provided and consumed by your self. 

You are trying to tell yourself something.

Activities where you don’t feel guilty = no questioning, peace and content

Activities where you do feel guilty = questioning, cause you know what it does

Is all that we see or seem

But a dream within a dream?

- Edgar Allen Poe 

There is nothing wrong with playing video games. You feel guilty because people have said it is a waste of time and now you are judging yourself for it. The real issue is the intention behind playing the video games. Are you playing video games as a way to avoid life? Or are you playing video games because you love it.

Personally I love playing video games and I do it for the sheer enjoyment of it. If you play with higher levels of consciousness, you'd be surprised that even video games can lead you on the path to self actualization.

Powered By Love

Exactly I didn’t start feeling guilty till I started watching Leo’s videos. I feel like there is better things to do with my time but I don’t know what. 

I think it is fine to play some games. It really depends on the person playing them. I am taking a year off, but I will have some casual games to play on the weekend occasionally maybe in the future. There is a lot of awesome stuff in life to do though. I suppose I get more excited to read most of the time now though too. 

In terms of value, I find anything else other than video games superior. I would rate video games of lower value even than mindlessly surfing the social media. At least with social media, I get to connect with the world around me. Video games have the ability to disconnect the mind from reality straight to completely different realities, which are more likely not useful for survival in the original reality.

So, in conclusion, if you're striving to survive, video games aren't your best bet, although you can become a gamer and make living from that.

1 hour ago, Lento said:

In terms of value, I find anything else other than video games superior. 

That is broad to say the least. Video games encompass an endless amount of genres and platforms, some of which can increase your ability to think critically. I've made some lifelong friends playing video games, both in real life and over the internet!

That being said, they can be addictive. This is the downside, unfortunately. 

Edited by SamueLSD

“The psychotic drowns in the same waters in which the mystic swims with delight.”

@SamueLSD

That's interesting. Sounds like we live in completely different realities still ?

13 minutes ago, SamueLSD said:

That being said, they can be addictive. This is the downside, unfortunately. 

To be fair, anything can be addictive.

The only question you need to ask yourself -

Are you satisfied with your life as it is while playing games? If so, then there's nothing really more to question. If you love games and you are happy, then there's no problem, ignore everyone else.

If you're not satisfied with your life and you feel games are distracting you, then yes you should consider removing them from your life.

I used to play tons of video games. I had my xbox in my room and played probably 2 hours a day on average. Eventually I started meditating, and had the instinct to take my xbox out of my room.

A year and a half later, with a year of daily meditation under my belt, I started playing again with friends. What I found was that I was able to process emotions from my childhood that I had stored while playing video games. I was able to untangle complexes from my childhood just by playing with a higher level of consciousness.

If your intuition is telling you to get a switch, I say get a switch!

VG are created to produce dependence like a drug, they destroy your dopamine reward system, that means in the long term youll be unhappy and prone to depression.

I expect if you buy it and play it in moderation then you'll find you don't really feel guilty.

Gaming remains a hobby and an escape for me well into my 30's.

I think video gaming has an extremely bad reputation where spending 8 hours binging on ""educational crap"" on netflix is not. People are quick to judge others without looking at their own devilry. And maybe I am just defending my own addiction but I still like to enjoy a video game binge every now and then. 

As long as you continue working on yourself, working on your life purpose, your education and raising your consciousness, there is nothing wrong with video gaming. I'm not talking about 18 hours of counter-strike, that's pure brainwashing. There are nowadays some incredibly beautiful and rich video games. These can help you improve creativity and even come up with new interesting ideas. Lot of games help you improve your strategic thinking, planning, resource management, improve your shorter term to long term memory and help you relax after a stressful day. 

So don't let it become an uncontrolled addiction taking over other areas of your life but also don't feel guilty for occasional binge :)

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

I just bought a Nintendo switch. If anyone wants to get it cracking on smash bros and talk about self actualization stuff online PM me :) 

@Chumbimba There is nothing inherently wrong with video games.

What if you coupled meditatoin and gaming? Do 30 minutes of meditation, and bring that heightened consciousness to the game. It could basically be viewed as 1 long meditative session. 30 minutes on the breathe, 30 minutes with attention on the game etc.

I already feel hollow playing it and I havent even had it for a day. I noticed that I get lazy and aggitated after playing I would rather use that money for books or the gym. So I will be returning it tomorrow and my new TV