Leo Gura

Purging Bullshitters

123 posts in this topic

Just a heads up, I'm in the process of checking and banning people on this forum who are consistent bullshitters, keyboard jockeys, naysayers, spreading misinformation about awakening, or are not doing the work.

I have less tolerance for such things these days.

Make sure you're here with an open mind to learn, that you are non-ideological, and that you are doing the work.

As much as I like keeping this forum democratic and open to all, the reality is that far too many people come in here who aren't doing the work and just distracting others from doing the work.

These are always difficult determinations to make, but without it the quality of the forum goes too low.

Most of you are okay, so don't worry. It's usually only a tiny handful of people who consistently drag things down.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

I think this is a good move. 

The risk is it turns into an echo chamber around here, heavy censorship would make us blind to shortcomings etc. But the other extreme of completely openly allowing every shit discussion/participant on here without standards constantly drags everything down to the lowest common denominator.

It's an impossible balance to get perfect, but it does't have to be perfect, just good enough. Some light discipline will improve the quality of this forum.

How to get to infinity? Divide by zero.

@Leo Gura Will you give them a chance to explain why they were acting like that?

Some people are trying to do the work, but this is the place where they procrastinate. Combine with that toxic psychology and you get some disruptive trolls.

@Angelite was banned recently, and I think it was not fair. Some people have much deeper psychology that needs to be uprooted.

But there also needs to be a limit. I don't want this place to be a breeding ground for race iq discussions, toxic politics, red pill etc

Edited by Raptorsin7

Running this forum has made me appreciate how difficult of a job police have.

@Leo Gura Just checking if it's still ok to be critical at times on this forum? If not I will leave as it will eventually turn in to either an echo chamber or an ideology where no more growth will happen. There's too many of those on the internet already. What attracted me to this forum is the lack of cultish behavior while still having lots of high quality content and discussion.

Of course it's a fine balance and it is understandable if it does shift towards more control, as online communities usually tend to do when the moderators get fed up with the low quality posts. Unfortunately, a more sensitive ban hammer often results in the deterioration of the quality of any online group from what I have seen even though the purpose is pure.. 

If you happen to read this far, there is one solution to this problem I have seen. The absolute highest quality online communities always have this implemented:

Make it more difficult to enter the forum. Ask some basic questions about the content and the intentions of people who join. Ask about how serious they are, how much they do the work.  Quite effective in weeding out most of the trolls. 

"Only that which can change can continue."

-James P. Carse

6 minutes ago, Raptorsin7 said:

Will you give them a chance to explain why they were acting like that?

No because once such a person is identified I have found that there is no correcting their behavior no matter how much I reason with them. The whole point is that if such a person was open to correction or reason, they wouldn't be identified as needing a ban in the first place. Such people are not aware of what they are doing and cannot help themselves act how they act and think how they think.

Any time a person is a banned, the response is always the same: they blame me and they always have a story about how they are right. After that, there is definitely no reasoning with them.

3 minutes ago, TheAlchemist said:

Just checking if it's still ok to be critical at times on this forum?

Yes, no problem.

7 minutes ago, Raptorsin7 said:

@Leo Gura Makes sense. Devils never admit they're devils lol

Well, to be fair, these can be tough judgment calls and my judgment calls are relative. But then again, this whole forum exists in the relative domain and someone has to moderate it.

It's never a pleasant decision to ban someone. I would rather not have to ban anyone. But as I get too permissive people take advantage. Over the years I've found that it's almost impossible to reform a problematic user. I guess that's why society invented prisons.

@Leo Gura what if you are doing the work but you're confused about certain areas/topics/experiences and need advice. Like I can really come across as a victim a lot but I am working really hard to overcome that (I hope I'm not telling on myself :S)

@Chumbimba That's perfectly fine.

@Leo Gura Suggestion

Daily Limit on number of replies users can make. I saw many users making a reply for every comment in their post, instead of compiling all replies into one. This way they push their post to the top of the thread and try keeping it there. Also making lots of chit-chat replies, also pushing their post up. Would work great for new users.

"It is the emptiness within the cup that makes it useful."

2 minutes ago, AwakenedSoul444 said:

Guess I'm gonna be banned lol

Why?

@Leo Gura i think you need to set up a common guideline for people to show them what can get them banned.

Even the police lets the citizen know about the law.

Can i delete my account somehow? I didn't find an option in account settings.

As i am no longer following and doing the work

Edited by Muhammad

@Raptorsin7 Stage of development is not the main factor. For example, someone could be contracted within a logical, materialist paradigm - if they come to the forum and go Full-On Richard Dawkins mode of argumentation and pushing an agenda - it won't be a good fit. . . Yet if they are genuinely curious, open and willing to expand beyond a materialist paradigm, it could be a great fit. 

@Leo Gura

So, you're finally gonna actually become melting snow, and wash yourself of yourself? ?

Anyway, I don't support this decision. For two reasons;

1. I find that people who are looking for help will find what they're looking for, and people who aren't serious will find what they're looking for as well. So, I don't see the point in calling the unwanted opinions/contributions a distraction. As long as there is proper moderation, I think things will remain fine.
  2. I think when the collective gives attention to the "low quality" content, then it must be a natural and a necessary part of our development. So, by taking ownership of ruling out everything you view as low quality, that'll make the lower levels become high, and the higher levels become low, as they must, due to the lack of awareness that'll be created.

I hope I'm not misunderstanding your decision. But to be more honest, I hope I am. And I hope you'll consider the points I've mentioned.

Thank you.

Edited by Lento

52 minutes ago, TheAlchemist said:

Make it more difficult to enter the forum. Ask some basic questions about the content and the intentions of people who join. Ask about how serious they are, how much they do the work.  Quite effective in weeding out most of the trolls. 

Great idea. He could ask questions upon creating an account like "how serious you are" etc.. And point out that if you're not serious you've nothing to search here for. If you answered No to a question