Raptorsin7

Where Is Leo Wrong?

110 posts in this topic

For those of you who have strong understanding/embodiment of advanced personal development and spirituality, what are some substantive criticisms of Leo's recent videos. Where do you think he is off, or what do you think he missed in his presentation.

Leo's content is amazing, and he's the biggest reason i'm even on this spiritual path. But no body is perfect. There must be something he's missing with his content, and I assume people here can fill in some of the wholes.

Please don't turn this into a thread where we critique Leo, and project all of our nonsense onto him lol (:

As every human being we can't help but be ingnorant and Leo has some Blindspots, but as far as I have dug into his viewpoints he is pretty solid in his focus points and goes out of his way to do proper research.

Some I found as of now are:

-His view of academia is kind of inacurate (even though his criticism is valid) academics can't help sometimes be dogmatic at least in communication but I met many professors who are very selfaware of what they are teaching and don't hold their knowledge as dogma.

-His view of Philosophy is very simplistic and kind of self serving, Leo misses out on alot by dismissing western philosophy as mere mental masturbation. Many existential points he makes have been stated by existentialist philosopher decades ago, but I have to credit him for figuring them out on his own. I guess reading a bit of Nietzsche and Heidegger would put his insights into proper perspective and him frameing his insights as cutting edge is simply not true, he has just his own way to frame concept's like will to power as survival (which he borrowed from Peter Ralston who is also a Student of Nietzsche).

10 hours ago, Raptorsin7 said:

For those of you who have strong understanding/embodiment of advanced personal development and spirituality, what are some substantive criticisms of Leo's recent videos. Where do you think he is off, or what do you think he missed in his presentation.

Leo's content is amazing, and he's the biggest reason i'm even on this spiritual path. But no body is perfect. There must be something he's missing with his content, and I assume people here can fill in some of the wholes.

Please don't turn this into a thread where we critique Leo, and project all of our nonsense onto him lol (:

Hmm, there's nothing "wrong", but there are observations, which I do hold myself to the same standard of.

Leo at this current point is learning about Love (he admits so himself) still on many levels, and this includes the sense or a sense of Community or shared contentedness (again this critique holds true for me to) and this seems to come through in the way he holds himself and speaks, although he seems more humble and embracing as time goes on in his video's. 

There's also a underlying importance put on getting "something" or spiritual experiences that I feel sometimes comes across in his video's, which isn't a fault per say because it has value or motivational direction perhaps for watchers to strive towards, but it can also feed into the human mindset of looking to "get" "understand" "know" "take away" "grasp for safety purposes".  Although his second to last video

showed a completely different side to Leo that changed many of my thoughts on him in this regard.  And to be fair I don't watch all of Leo's video's, so maybe there's many other videos like this.

Leo's a great addition to the world of consciousness inquiry, god realizationing, life inspection and mind opening material.  He's got a unique way of communicating, humor, outward appearance, appeal, history, and set of knowledge that brings in just the right people that are attracted to him and what he can offer to hopeful broaden and improve their lives.

Edited by Mu_

Before thread gets locked....

First of it all, I basically owe my life to Leo, but...

Leo is wrong when he said that I'll be unhappy making a million dollars if my friends make 100 million.

My day begins and ends with gratitude. I can see this being right if one is an unaware, ungrateful bastard.

Trust me I'll be happy making a million dollars and my friends making 100 million dollars.

Trust me on that one.

At the end of the day Leo is just another flawed youtuber, and that's ok.

Thanks for all Leo!

Leo is a flawed human being like we all are. Thats perfectly fine. 
Relative truths can be very, very complex, almost unattainable for a human mind. 

Thank god, that in a few years, we can salutate and ask our new machine overlords about that stuff.

MD. Internal medicine/gastroenterology - Evidence based integral health approaches

"Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
- Rainer Maria Rilke

I mean more about specific techniques. Like for example, in Leo's video about unconditional happiness, he mentions the need to uproot limiting beliefs about what it takes to live a happy life, but he doesn't go into detail on how to actually uproot those views. So, that missing link would be an example of a criticism i'm talking about.

But. I think this thread is definitely a distraction, I can feel the hammer of the mods coming down very soon LOL. 

17 minutes ago, Raptorsin7 said:

I mean more about specific techniques. Like for example, in Leo's video about unconditional happiness, he mentions the need to uproot limiting beliefs about what it takes to live a happy life, but he doesn't go into detail on how to actually uproot those views. So, that missing link would be an example of a criticism i'm talking about.

But. I think this thread is definitely a distraction, I can feel the hammer of the mods coming down very soon LOL. 

I don't think it's a distaction, maybe he could use some of the constructive feedback here to update his teaching style if he thinks it has to be so. 

The last part of what I said is the most important, so I'd like for him to answer directly what does he think of this thread. @Leo Gura

Edited by petar8p

@Arcangelo then it is not the money that will make you happy, you have happiness already. If you thought that $1mill would have made you happy, that is when you would have been unsatisfied when you get there, and $100mill would be what/when you think you would be happy.

If you are already happy, $100mill would not hurt to have - - - - - or would it? Worth thinking about. 

Want to connect? Just do it, I assure you I'm just a human being just like you, drop me a PM today. 

though he has phenomenal epistemology and teaches proper epistemology, he does have this superior attitude sometimes. so it's important imo to be observant of that (don't believe me, check if it's true or not in your own direct exp. i can be wrong) 

Edited by d0ornokey

He is wrong to keep this forum as his personal social media bubble. I love Leo's videos, but this forum sort of doesn't really go anywhere. A huge valuable time wasted here :(

@Cudin This forum is so valuable. I can't disagree with you more. Of course theres a lot of content here that's masturbatory, like this thread lol, but there's gems everywhere too. If you're an enlightened stud then maybe this forum is a waste. But many of us aren't there yet, so in the meantime this place is great.

2 hours ago, Arcangelo said:

Trust me I'll be happy making a million dollars

It depends on what you have to do to get it

2 minutes ago, Nak Khid said:

It depends on what you have to do to get it

Sorry, not a moderator, but let's at least try to stick to the thread!

2 hours ago, Raptorsin7 said:

trying to use reverse psychology?

31 minutes ago, Cudin said:

He is wrong to keep this forum as his personal social media bubble. I love Leo's videos, but this forum sort of doesn't really go anywhere. A huge valuable time wasted here :(

You have 156 posts and 16 topics.  Is this a recent conclusion?

5 hours ago, Mu_ said:

his second to last video showed a completely different side to Leo that changed many of my thoughts on him in this regard.

please explain

4 hours ago, Arcangelo said:

Trust me I'll be happy making a million dollars

Lol

Who you foolin, devil? ;)

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Raptorsin7 Leo said that you can’t become enlightened simply because you want to end your suffering. You must be interested in the truth for truth’s sake.

Well, the truth is, I became enlightened simply with the motivation of ending suffering. I had no interest in the truth (even though I obtained it to a large degree), and the shocking thing is that I still have no interest in truth. For me, truth is just another concept. The ultimate truth is just the present moment, and I already have that.

I’m not claiming that I am as conscious of the mechanics of reality as Leo is. The truth is, I simply don’t know. I get spontaneous insights about life, psychology and reality almost every day. I learn and grow a lot everyday. I would certainly try out psychedelics, however they are illegal in my country, and I don’t want to risk getting caught with them. Maybe in the future though.

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

9 minutes ago, How to be wise said:

Leo said that you can’t become enlightened simply because you want to end your suffering. You must be interested in the truth for truth’s sake

Actually I never said that.

You certainly can become enlightened that way. I just consider it an inferior motivation.

The soul's desire for Truth/Love/Union is a higher drive than the escape of personal suffering. The soul actually doesn't care about suffering. Suffering is irrelevant in the end since it is a finite and relative illusion.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.