ds300

feel like im too old to pursue a dj/music production career

14 posts in this topic

I keep feeling like im too old to pursue and edm/ electronic dance music life purpose career. I am 21 turning 22 soon and I feel like I have wasted my highschool and college years because I have discovered my life purpose late. I have Leo's life purpose course and I have seen the video on feeling too old and I know it is just a flat out excuse. Illogically I keep looking at djs who are my age and are already superstars. Its not like I am new to music production I have already spent years making hip hop beats and spent hundreds of hours producing music. There are top djs like kaskade  who started producing music at 25 but I keep getting the mental block that I am too old now. How do I overcome this mental block and live my life purpose.

@ds300 1.) You're soooo young. Don't be so heart on yourself...

If you're 26 and become a DJ as your Life Purpose... you think that's a bad thing? Of course not!

This is a game of self awareness. Your job is to day by day, get closer to authentically who you truly are.

How much content are you producing on a weekly basis?

@Sahil Pandit I was heavily into it from 18-20 in a different genre. Now after dealing with my mental health issues im getting back into it with a new passion and purpose. Its just kind of intimidated with other djs already having a huge career by the age of 20. Im just starting to produce again thats part of it.

@ds300 You might believe that you are too old to have a career in DJ but that doesn't mean that you can't learn it and use it to express your soul. I also wanted to learn music and I'm 22. I never started learning it because when I see 14 year old kids shredding guitar, I feel like "What's the point? They will always be better than me and I can never compete with them or have my dream career in this..."

But then I realised, I'm going to die anyway. I would rather learn it and die than living in regret of not learning it.

I realised that I will learn guitar because I love it and because I can. Doesn't matter if I'm good at it, doesn't matter if I suck for eternity, doesn't matter if all the people in the world will look at me with disgust because I know for a fact, that alteast the person in the reflection will be my biggest fan and thats all that matters.

:)

If that is your life purpose, then you would do it anyway no matter if anyone would pay you for doing it. If this is what you love doing, wouldn't matter if it's gonna work or not. Is it something you do just for sake of doing it? Something that makes you feel alive? Happy? Then keep it up. If not, then I doubt it is your life purpose :).

Edited by wesyasz

When I clicked on this I thought you'd say you were 50 or something... lol. You're definitely not too old to get into DJing and production, not at all. 

No matter what your age though, keep in mind that there are a lot of people who have this dream. You're going to have some extraordinary combination of the following if you want to make it into your career:

-extremely hard work, motivation and discipline

-talent (which you can build up with practice, this is not an inherent trait)

-social skills

-luck

How to get to infinity? Divide by zero.

Just yesterday I saw this dude that was 50+ fistpumping behind the dj table with his blazer on having a good time ?

Realizeyourgrowth.com

Wtf you're talking about man. This career is okay even if you're 50 years old, I know DJ's like that. How age is limiting you in this industry?

I hate Djing, but I like EDM.

"how to stay poor in electronic music"

you better be mixing pasta than doing music in the today world.

Djing is a scam, for me that should be an extension of your music if you do electronic stuff.

I find this annoying that all Dj is turning the same tune of all the big producer at each party.

i started my dj career at 26 , i had more knowledge of music than most of young djs ... so twas just about learning techniques hope that inspires you

@Aeris wrong Djing is an ART if done properly ,

go digg all kind of music dont  get stuck in one genre , i started from disco going to house, acid ,garage break beats ,hip hop ,jazz,pfunk  .... the mainstream scene is a trap , target your audience carefully ,the underground audience is very intelligent and want to hear good music

Edited by effy01

You can build a successful DJing career in 1 year and make it big in 3-5 

Maybe, instead of seeing in terms comparing yourself to others and how much "further" others might seem, instead, maybe think of it like this:  would I rather fill my time doing something I love or doing something I don't?

Even if you were the least skilled person in your field, but loved doing it, that alone might be enough justification and reason to pursue it.  

Compare yourself to yourself. 

Being the best might seem like it's what gives fulfillment, but this might be illusory.  Even the least skilled or beginners in a certain field might feel equally as satisfied with what they do as with professionals who've been doing it for 40 years.

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins