Consilience

Quitting Coffee for 2 Months - No Clear Benefit has Been Observed

29 posts in this topic

For the longest time I viewed my caffeine habit as a subtle addiction that needed to be let go off. Every morning, Id wake and feel a clear urge to go make coffee. Not only did it provide a release from the brain fog (which I saw as an aversion which also needed to be let go of), but it felt ritualistic as a nice calming way to start my day. I never really drank a lot, normally 1 cup per day. (8oz)

Somehow Id got it in my mind that this habit needed to be eliminated permanently. Well... after a rollercoaster of ego backlashes and relapses, I finally I quit for 2 months. In this time frame, it feels as though I learned quite a bit about myself but see, it also has me questioning my initial urge to quit. 

Not drinking coffee was nice in the sense that I was now starting my days off without an external substances playing a role in that process. Moreover, there was a confidence built from finally tackling one of my strongest addictions. However, the longer I went without coffee, the more I expected to gain boosts in natural energy. I never drank enough or late enough in the day for it to disrupt sleep, but I thought maybe my consistent use interfered with my natural ability to wake up and have energy. This, however, has not been observed. 

Rather than my body adjusting from no more coffee to waking up faster in the mornings, instead my mornings have just been subjected to more brain fog and lethargy. I haven’t actually had any daily energetic boosts from no longer consuming. In effect, no longer drinking coffee has actually created a more negative morning process than positive, which is the opposite of what I expected. 

A number of things have become clear to me though:

1) My personality type is one that feels guilt from these strong subtle addictions

2) My body tends to rest in an extremely calm state most times, resulting in my mornings having persistently been difficult to get energy. Even when trying things like drinking loads of water, exercise, and yoga, nothing has matched the power of standard cup of coffee for energy boost.

3) As a result of the decreased caffeine use in the morning, my meditation has actually suffered because of an increase in mind wandering and dullness. Interestingly enough, the more tired my mind is, the more monkey mind and day dreaming occurs.

4) The only positive that has resulted in this is that Im no longer indulging in a daily habit I initially viewed as negative. But this in and of itself is neither positive or negative? And the line between a positive habit and destructive subtle addiction can be thin.  

After this experiment, Im no longer confident in my decision. It feels as though I sacrificed a powerful tool that was helpful, as long as I used it in moderation despite it being a strong rooted subtle addiction. And in fact, I other than the guilt I never actually felt negative consequences for my daily use. For example, brushing my teeth is an extremely strong “addiction” we might say, but it is not one Im looking to overcome for its obvious benefits.

Id be very interested in anyone’s feedback or experiences when it comes to this topic.  Particularly because I know how damn tricky the ego is, and how deceptive the mind can be with justification.

What is your breakfast like?  Having two pieces of fruit, water, and nothing too heavy could give you some energy.  Or some light exercise when you wake up. Otherwise, I don't see 8 oz. of coffee too harmful, and many studies say it can be healthy.

My breakfast is usually beans, soy milk and a bagel. 

That’s my thinking too though. There is a lot of research indicating it has numerous health benefits. But it’s a weird balancing act given that it is addictive. But part of the addiction is the value I get from it just like with the brushing teeth example. 

Proper hydration, adequate sleep, moderate eating and good exercise could all be the answer for you. If you get that under control and still feel fatigue in the morning you could try allergy testing.

as for the subtle addiction, find moderation and stick with that would be my advice. Whether that’s one coffee in the morning or one at the weekend, that’s up to you. 

Quitting coffee isn't gonna give you more natural energy directly. Upping your fitness level and metabolism will. You need to up the intensity of your exercise.

That being said coffee isn't bad itself. Poison is in the dosage. It can be used as a valuable tool at times, or other forms of caffeine like matcha green tea. Just use it strategically. 

Edited by TrynaBeTurquoise

"Started from the bottom and I just realized I'm still there since the money and the fame is an illusion" -Drake doing self-inquiry

57 minutes ago, Consilience said:

My breakfast is usually beans, soy milk and a bagel. 

That’s my thinking too though. There is a lot of research indicating it has numerous health benefits. But it’s a weird balancing act given that it is addictive. But part of the addiction is the value I get from it just like with the brushing teeth example. 

Maybe save the bagel till later in the afternoon, those could weigh you down a bit.  Lots of fruits, raw veggies, water in the am, then cooked food later on.  The fruits will give you a longer lasting energy boost, although not as strong as the coffee.

what is your age and how many time have you been using "drugs". Only coffee ?

did you exercice in your life ?

weight/height : balanced ?

sport daily ? ( walking/push up/etc.. )

could take 7 months apparently for smoking to makes your brain feel normal.

if you used coffee for many years, could take up to 5 months to go back at starting point ( my guess though )

I would use the idea that stims abuse could take almost 1 year to be baseline for the body ( like ritalin, and all adhd drugs ) if you used them for 10 years.

I would bet that 1 year coffee is 1 month for baseline, etc.. ( totaly subjective and dependant of many factors : if you do sport & eat well )

diet clean ? ( heavy meal before bed ? ) avoid, sugar, and salt in high quantity etc..

coffee is maybe only one factor and in low dose, doesn't do shit, my father drink 8-10 coffees per day ( not the big one, but probably like 10 littles one )

Edited by Aeris

Matt D'Avella experienced some of same things you did. 

He was missing mostly the social aspect of coffee...

Good to know. Since my..ahem..at least 5 cups a day ultra strong coffee adiction is not so subtle...

I also quit coffee for a few months, maybe three or four, and then decided to start drinking it again. I like the taste and the habit, and for me the perks outweigh the drawbacks.

But, unlike you, I did experience an absence of brain fog when waking up after quitting coffee. Brain fog and low energy in the morning are definitely drawbacks, but then I have my first cup of coffee and life is beautiful again :)

Alternative Rock Music and Spirituality on YouTube: The Buddha Visions

If you are addicted to something, like coffee, a good recontextualization would be, instead of viewing the coffee as an object that provides happiness for you, view yourself as the true source of the happiness that was being brought out by the action of drinking coffee. Realize that you are the source of all happiness and it can be attained regardless of having the coffee or not.

That being said, your father who hasn't spoke with you in years wants to reunite and get a cup coffee with you at the coffee shop, meet up with him and enjoy the coffee. 

"Started from the bottom and I just realized I'm still there since the money and the fame is an illusion" -Drake doing self-inquiry

6 hours ago, SerpaeTetra said:

What is your breakfast like?  Having two pieces of fruit, water, and nothing too heavy could give you some energy.

@Consilience fruit fruit fruit! It’s very beneficial to replace a habit with another habit, fruit fasting/smoothies is an excellent way to clean out your body, get rid of that brain fog, and find yourself having much higher energy throughout the day 

Also what @TrynaBeTurquoise Says, Changing your view about the coffee and make it more of a treat for special occasions sounds excellent 

As others have pointed out, you probably experienced this because the coffee was compensating for just an overall lack of health and nutrition to give your body the energy it needs. Any benefit from quitting would be offset by this. 

So really by quitting coffee it paves way for you to realize just how low your default energy levels are and focus more on improving there. 

Edited by Shadowraix

Thank you everyone for so much feedback. I will take it all to heart ??

Personally I see nothing wrong with coffee if you have a low consumption. Too much just make me jittery, not a nice feeling.  One coffee in the morning before meditation feels great for me. ? Used to have 3 cups a day, now I find one in the morning is the best. 

At the end of the day, coffee is a drug, like cocaine, like sugar eventually its no different. The body becomes dependant on the drug/chemical for main source of energy in which depletes "natural reserves" thus you are functioning on an external source in which over time exhausts our system and depletes minerals/nutrients and eventually can lead to excess acidity = cancer.

Coffee has become a social norm but in ancient times plants like coffee, cannabis, tobacco ect... were used only for medicinal and spiritual purposes. Ancient man was wise enough and in-tune with nature to realize how these substances when abused can severely overstimulate the nervous system thus remained as medicinal use only.

Nevertheless, its not bad to enjoy once in a while, just don't do it daily or become dependant on it cause then well you have to deal with the withdrawals when you wanna stop.

Coffee works today because it keeps people working like robots and machine-minded. Its good for business but not so good for health/spirit in the long run. Cacao is a superior option IMO but even that you must not allow the body to become used to it as a prime source of energy.

Fruit/Water is the most energy efficient sources for the human body. They do not overstimulate or disrupt our natural systems.

Edited by pluto

B R E A T H E

35 minutes ago, pluto said:

At the end of the day, coffee is a drug, like cocaine, like sugar eventually its no different. The body becomes dependant on the drug/chemical for main source of energy in which depletes "natural reserves" thus you are functioning on an external source in which over time exhausts our system and depletes minerals/nutrients and eventually can lead to excess acidity = cancer.

Coffee has become a social norm but in ancient times plants like coffee, cannabis, tobacco ect... were used only for medicinal and spiritual purposes. Ancient man was wise enough and in-tune with nature to realize how these substances when abused can severely overstimulate the nervous system thus remained as medicinal use only.

Nevertheless, its not bad to enjoy once in a while, just don't do it daily or become dependant on it cause then well you have to deal with the withdrawals when you wanna stop.

Coffee works today because it keeps people working like robots and machine-minded. Its good for business but not so good for health/spirit in the long run. Cacao is a superior option IMO but even that you must not allow the body to become used to it as a prime source of energy.

Fruit/Water is the most energy efficient sources for the human body. They do not overstimulate or disrupt our natural systems.

Yes, going off topic on a little rant here but I think coffee being a social norm is the lesser of 2 evils compared to alcohol being a social norm. The chemical is literally poison for your body. Such a poison your body will stop the metabolism of nutrients to excrete it from your body as fast as possible. Not to mention the other chemicals that are lumped in with the alcoholic beverage in wine, spirits, ect that cause all sorts of health problems. Was reading articles about cancer causing chemicals in wine. Not to say coffee can't have bad byproducts included like heavy metals, but can at least be minimized by going with organic coffee. 

At least coffee can be used in strategically as a exercise/fitness aid to give you a little metabolic fat burning boost on a morning fast for example, alcohol has literally no such use. 

And as far as caffeine disrupting sleep, which it does (especially the older or slower metabolism a person has) this can be remedied by not taking it past noon or maybe like 2pm at the latest since the half-life is roughly 6-8 hours

Society has deemed alcohol only "socially acceptable" (unless you are on vacation doing all day drinking) for later in the day use most of the time, which is even more likely of lowering the quality of your sleep and fucking up your REM cycles. 

BTW @Consilience Some things that have helped me when I do drink coffee is putting raw cacao powder in it for the magnesium which helps natural energy production, along with taking an L-theanine capsule with it to offset the jangling/jittery effect. As well as substituting it for matcha green tea at times.

Go organic too when you do indulge, not all coffee is equal, even if it means spending a couple more bucks its worth not getting the nasty heavy metals

Edited by TrynaBeTurquoise

I've been out of coffee for 2 years and working nights shifts. I can tell that besides having a constant flow of energy (instead of bursts of 1-2 hours), it free lots of time and develop a stimulus free mind,as you'll not think all the time that you need a coffee to wake you up or boost your mood. 

If you need something to keep you focused, try l-thianine - works wonders. 

Edit :

Daily exercises before starting your day is another good coffee replacement 

Edited by Alex bAlex

Another good substitute for caffeine is a cold ass shower right when you wake up in the morning. 

A tall glass of water with lemon juice and taking a freezing shower after is a powerful morning routine. The CEO of Onnit Aubrey Marcus put that in his book "Own the Day", I've tried it and its a great way to start some of my days, at least for me, so something worth giving a try