kieranperez

What if I have no passion towards my talent?

18 posts in this topic

People have been telling for years, particularly recently, that I’m a really great writer and that they really feel what it is I’m communicating. They can even feel in their body exactly what it is I’m saying when I really want them to. 

But I don’t have much passion towards it. What does writing really do to change the world? Does that really start new visionary movements? Does that really help create a more conscious, loving, and impactful world? How many writers actually do that anyways? Writing just seems like a selfish thing like my sport. It’s somebting I’m good at but I don’t see what it’s really going to change. 

Writing is one of the most powerful ways to express and make people think about things.

Just hours  ago i've read something about psilocybine again, and it blew my mind and made me look at that aspect diffrently. 

Look at more famous books like 'The Power of Now'. This book is one of the most life changing books i've read.  without it, i probably would have never been on this forum or journey to begin with. Or maybe years later.

Don't underestimate it! but offcourse, if it isn't your passion or do not feel like doing it, why bother? 

@kieranperez Ok so your core goal is changing the world for the better yeah?

You can be good at something and not have passion for it, which is fine. Being good doesn't necessarily translate it to being a core part of your path.

However if what is separating you from enjoying writing is the disconnect between your goal and writing itself, then all this needs is a simple perspective shift. 

Writing can indeed promote a more conscious society and allow people to explore different ideas, after all there is no 'person' they see communicating it, it really helps break down walls that way. How many books throughout history has shared deep metaphysical insights or deep practices such as yoga? Its very good at documenting the knowledge of people and allowing the exploration of different worlds. Even fictional stories can contain deep messages to promote a more conscious society. I would not underestimate the power of writing.

Is writing really not your passion, or are you just in a pit of self-doubt about how writing can accomplish a better world?

Writing can have a huge impact on people. Look at authors like Cal Newport, Scott young and Scott m peck for example. 

2 hours ago, BjarkeT said:

Writing can have a huge impact on people. Look at authors like Cal Newport, Scott young and Scott m peck for example. 

Not trying to be some other silly self help author. 

4 hours ago, MaxV said:

Just hours  ago i've read something about psilocybine again, and it blew my mind and made me look at that aspect diffrently. 

Yes, okay, and what did you do? What did it evoke in you thats going to have you actually change? Or is it just something cool you’ve read? 

4 hours ago, Shadowraix said:

Writing can indeed promote a more conscious society and allow people to explore different ideas, after all there is no 'person' they see communicating it, it really helps break down walls that way. How many books throughout history has shared deep metaphysical insights or deep practices such as yoga? Its very good at documenting the knowledge of people and allowing the exploration of different worlds. Even fictional stories can contain deep messages to promote a more conscious society. I would not underestimate the power of writing.

Yes it can document stuff but so what? By that viewpoint we would look at modern academic professors who do nothing but document shit to an incestuous degree that doesn’t really contribute much not to any real significant change in our society or makes things happen. 

And even then, I write knowledge or whatever we wish to call it that I put my ass on the line to learn (only using this as an example) and then people read it and then they just blindly believe and deludes them just like we see a lot of people even here on the forum. They listen to Leo and then they just act like parrots. No more intelligent than they began but just have a different set of ideas and really just fantasies than what they had prior. 

You are right.

Writing doesnt change the world. YOU have to be the change, the love, the consciousnes and the teaching. You have to live what you write, otherwise it wont have any impact and you will feel miserable doing it. When you are fully in your spirit, everything you do is right. 

I relate to you.

I have talent for drawing, but that's not my passion for sure. I get bored with it despite I'm able to create good stuff that people love. I'd rather be teaching or creating YouTube videos instead of drawing.

Sometimes I enjoy drawing, but I do it as any other form of mindful activity, not a true passion. And this little enjoying for something might be very confusing because you think: "Oh, I kind enjoy doing it, so it may be my passion." After doing it for more than 2 hours: "Damn, I hate it! I can't stand doing it anymore! I thought it was my passion!" Then some time pass and you want to do that same thing again (because it's just like any activity that you may have some interest, but it's still NOT your passion) and the same loop happens.

And if I use this logic that anything I enjoy doing is my passion, I would be passionate for teaching, helping people, creating videos, drawing, sculpting, reading and writing. I would have many passions. It's a difficult thing to define and no wonder Cal Newport wrote a whole book about it.

I heard several times from many artists: "If you get bothered, it's not your passion."

I hope it helps you.

@kieranperez Why must you look at the extremes then discount the whole thing for it? 

Are you gonna to sit here and say that books aren't expanding and teaching people for as long as they have been around? 

Please go out and look around, see how its power has had a lot of influence. Do some research. 

You seem to be looking for reasons to discount writing as a valid path. 

I reiterate: is it actually no passion or are you letting your mind torture you to turn away from it? 

Writing is a highly transferrable skill, that you will use virtually everywhere. Decide on the impact you want to have, then writing can be one of the mediums you use. If you don't love it, don't worry about making it your main thing. 

23 hours ago, kieranperez said:

Not trying to be some other silly self help author. 

Looks like you have a bone to pick about self-help authors. Why?

Strike me down if I am wrong:

You sound frustrated with a lack of tangible pragmatic progress in your development, so you are disowning all theoretical components. Thus, in frustration you have swung the pendulum to the other side, chucking out the baby with the bathwater. 

Practical progress takes time. Don't kill the golden goose for her eggs, don't disown writing and theory as low-value. 

@kieranperez No disrespect so why write? Your lack of passion may come across in your words. 

The problem is you're not motivated to do it, yet you start by saying  "people have been telling me". There's something deeper here, do you struggle with self belief? I can see you are a good writer, but do you see?

Edited by Surfingthewave

On 16/08/2019 at 1:08 AM, universe said:

You are right.

Writing doesnt change the world. YOU have to be the change, the love, the consciousnes and the teaching. You have to live what you write, otherwise it wont have any impact and you will feel miserable doing it. When you are fully in your spirit, everything you do is right. 

This is legit.

For me It's about creating a scenery. Empower myself in communication (my way) ( as I m already a character )

Working toward music label with powerful friends ( who are still at bottom but have rage and stage yellow thinking + higher )

Then my music ( that I work on very hard since 4 years. Still not enough ) + psychedelics imagery worked with my drawing ( music + vidéo ). I'll create a self improvement exercice through music- Dancing and scenery ( imagery that work with the music )

All my Friends got same mindset and multi skill + self learner

I still work on my skills and those goals everyday. The thing is. I claim as a philosophy ( my Friends too ) indépendancy + having no masters.

So I cannot just suck dick around and put the project out. Still in the current society I'll have to be probably under the table' but I'll keep a knife with me.

But we share the same idea at the core. Having an impact

Edited by Aeris

On 8/15/2019 at 7:42 AM, kieranperez said:

People have been telling for years, particularly recently, that I’m a really great writer and that they really feel what it is I’m communicating. They can even feel in their body exactly what it is I’m saying when I really want them to. 

But I don’t have much passion towards it. What does writing really do to change the world? Does that really start new visionary movements? Does that really help create a more conscious, loving, and impactful world? How many writers actually do that anyways? Writing just seems like a selfish thing like my sport. It’s somebting I’m good at but I don’t see what it’s really going to change. 

You don't need to be a writer to be able to leverage your talent as a writer. Writing is fundamental to so many paths in life, it's a tremendously useful skill in all kinds of arenas. I think when you find your calling, it may very well be in an area that depends on being able to write well, despite not being something people think of as "writing". 

How to get to infinity? Divide by zero.

Seriously, check out Cal Newport's book So Good They Can't Ignore. It basically states that passion comes from expertise, and not the other way around.

Maybe if you started to develop your writing skills, you would start to enjoy writing more.

Just a thought. :)

2 hours ago, Jj13 said:

Seriously, check out Cal Newport's book So Good They Can't Ignore. It basically states that passion comes from expertise, and not the other way around.

I’ll pass on trying to master wanting being a janitor in hope that that will lead to fulfillment 

There is a truth in what Newport is saying. However it’s incomplete

I was thinking of your problem, you're totaly right most books are not readed by common mainstream folks.

if writing is a thing to you, aim just to spread a feeling and a goal into the writing/platform ( if that's a book )

and formulate it in your favorit way, don't even focus on what've been made.

don't try to replicate anyone or anything, just be a storm.

I see that you like to tell others people are mongs and ignorants.

be a fucking spiritual hammer, do not try to be cool,

insult people for not being spiritual enough, put a touch of your irony, and all that, I don't know, be so authentic that you're even shocked by your own work.

be 100% kiepanrez, if you want to draw suddenly a poop between two pages, fucking do it. Be out of all boundaries.

don't try to be something that already exist, indeed, be fresh, be provocative, be so unique that no one can tell " it looks like " .

sure it will be bullshit, but all books or work become bullshit when they become out of context.

I aswell listened a book,( swami vivekananda ) he told, god is working everyday and not for a fucking penny ( synthesis )

so my best advice is do what you want, there is so much shit around, that's only by doing our work mindfully for ourself that we met our great work, not by wanting it. ( but in the meantime of the paradox, there is a "want" but not a want for fame, focus on a want to achieve art/piece of work for the sake of it )

your first works will always be shitty, everyone need a long time before a masterpiece.

Edited by Aeris

Can you use your writing skills for something else you are passionate about? If not, I'd suggest you to explore something else that you actually want to do.

And btw, Aristotle, Lao Tzu, Karl Marx were pretty influential, to name a few. And of course, if the impact of other authors disappoints you, you can always become an author like no other.

I am myself, heaven and hell.