Wisebaxter

Making Decisions when there's no Free Will

58 posts in this topic

No, this is not good at all. Don't do that. I've been there.

Change things up very quickly, and take full responsibility for everything that's going on in your life right now.

Take radical action towards change and a better life.

Your ego is using the free will/no free will concept as an escape from doing the things you should do, in order to get your life sorted out and on track.
I've been there, it won't work. It's very dangerous to play this game, cause the ego likes it a lot, cause now it has a solid good sounding reason to be lazy and do nothing, because: " hey i don't have free will look!" It won't do you any good. You will end up totally fucked up this way.

31 minutes ago, Wisebaxter said:

Yes I think this is the key. My suffering must be a sign that I need to take action. Problem is I can't help but wonder if it's a sign that I need to let go more and not give a shit lol. Maybe I'm unconsciously using that as an excuse because I don't want to take action.

You're suffering because you are not centered.
Is there a problem right now, or is it somewhere down the line? Is there anything you can do this very instant?
Yes? Do it. No? Clean your room, do 50 push-ups and go read a book.

33 minutes ago, Wisebaxter said:

Would you mind just elaborating a bit on this? Do you mean this relationship needs to be severed or preserved? 

Your existence is free, absolutely. The fact that you may want anything, will anything, is rooted in that freedom.
The act of 'severing' your relationship with God is the act of willing anything different from what life brings you.
it is independence, strife, failure and success. It is samsara: life's endless ups and downs that stem from reactivity.
Surrender is not an act of doing, of willing. It is easing into the present moment, suffering, and letting it be.

You are gonna die, Wisebaxter. Does it really matter if it's 10, 20, or 30 years from now?
Eternity is not impressed with 80 years of life, nor does it care for your accomplishments.
The only life you have is here, now. This is it. Live it.

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

Lately I have been taking decisions flipping a coin and it's working really well.

:P

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?
1 Corinthians 3:16

2 hours ago, Wisebaxter said:

@Nahm

Well I'm into music production and since surrending my will I've actually felt more creatively driven, so that's cool. I'm aiming to turn it into a career. But I think I need to get fired up more in general. This is a longer term goal. I have to create some enthusiasm around what a low paying job could give me. I've got a bit used to my lifestyle, even though it's dull and a bit tough. Homeostasis has kicked in. 

I have a hard time thinking about wants, because I've always felt quite disempowered and not able to actualize much. So I have low self efficacy. I don't believe I can achieve those wants so thinking about them is hard. 

Self esteem is a big factor. 

@Wisebaxter Western mysticism would have some things to say about that:

1. When it comes to the ego, the will of the ego is an illusion. When the ego is dissolved, the True Will of the eternal True Self/Atman can be expressed. By surrendering the ego will, a new Will expresses love, beauty, truth and strength.

2. Lack of personal power is something that needs to be worked on on the path of spiritual evolution. One should progressively work on their strength of will with the goal that they develop a will of steel throughout this life. When that happens, their True Will expresses itself without attachment, fear, hesitation or failure. It wins in the end, every time. It doesnt stop, slow down or give up. It is indestructible. There are specific occult techniques to develop this that are extremely effective.

Edited by Matt8800

Who says there's no free will?  Does God white-knuckle cling to beliefs about reality?

Edited by Joseph Maynor

@Wisebaxter So you're stuck because you don't know what the true thing is. 

All these things you mention are big picture decisions that will lead your life in one way or another. Isn't that your mind trying to control where this is going?

What if you start with the small things? What feels true in this moment? It might be grabbing something to eat or going for a walk. Nothing huge in those decisions but life plays itself out in all these small moments.

@Wisebaxter You deciding = the Universe deciding. That's what oneness means.

The best approach for you, as far as my perception goes, is to make wise choices and be detached from the outcomes. Train the mind to be less controlling.

unborn Truth

The only way to truly make progress without fucking yourself up is, remaining silent, do the practises every day, and allow yourself to be selfish. When the ego tries to be humble, it's actually fueled by pride counterintuitively. Who is the one who wishes to be humble? And why? You will find that there is something that will help *you* and only you at the center of your religious attempt to be humble. Which is otherwise called "false humility." 

Its much easier to simply discover the truth that there is no "you" to be selfish and that's it's not a matter of trying to be a good person , but that you literally don't fucking exist. 

One of my major major insights is thus; fuck morality and fuck religion. Both are Satanic at their root

Edited by Aaron p

Check out those videos i posted. will tie it up nicely for you. Roger and Gautum are both very good

@SoonHei  I watched the shorter one and it was useful The other guy, Roger I think, seems great, watched a bit of that one. Looks like he goes into a lot more depth, which is great. Like the way you managed to pull up two relevant videos on this so quickly/ 

11 hours ago, Matt8800 said:

1. When it comes to the ego, the will of the ego is an illusion. When the ego is dissolved, the True Will of the eternal True Self/Atman can be expressed. By surrendering the ego will, a new Will expresses love, beauty, truth and strength.

@Matt8800 This is interesting, so you're saying that the personal will, once strengthened, evolves into the divine will? 

One should progressively work on their strength of will with the goal that they develop a will of steel throughout this life.

But how do I surrender my ego whilst at the same time developing a will of steel? The two seem directly opposed? 

4 hours ago, ajasatya said:

@Wisebaxter You deciding = the Universe deciding. That's what oneness means.

The best approach for you, as far as my perception goes, is to make wise choices and be detached from the outcomes. Train the mind to be less controlling.

@ajasatya Thank you, I think you're right. I have a very controlling mind so this issue has rocked me quite heavily. 

Who says there's no free will?  Does God white-knuckle cling to beliefs about reality?

@Joseph Maynor @Leo Gura mentioned it, in Free will vs determinism. But maybe I took it the wrong way somehow. I laughed uncontrollably for a while and felt completely liberated, but since then I've had this dilemma being caused by not knowing how much control I should be exerting. Control feels like ego to me you know?

Edited by Wisebaxter

14 hours ago, Psyche_92 said:

No, this is not good at all. Don't do that. I've been there.

Change things up very quickly, and take full responsibility for everything that's going on in your life right now.

Take radical action towards change and a better life.

Your ego is using the free will/no free will concept as an escape from doing the things you should do, in order to get your life sorted out and on track.
I've been there, it won't work. It's very dangerous to play this game, cause the ego likes it a lot, cause now it has a solid good sounding reason to be lazy and do nothing, because: " hey i don't have free will look!" It won't do you any good. You will end up totally fucked up this way.

@Psyche_92 Yes, I feel deep down you're right, my ego or need for comfort has created this idea so homeostasis can remain. I am becoming fucked up, as Christ-like as I pretend I'm being with all this 'learning to be happy with nothing' stuff. This leads into what @Aaron p says here:

When the ego tries to be humble, it's actually fueled by pride counterintuitively. Who is the one who wishes to be humble? And why? You will find that there is something that will help *you* and only you at the center of your religious attempt to be humble. Which is otherwise called "false humility.

I'm rejecting stage Orange impulses I think. Especially because I have shit self-efficacy. I feel no empowerment in life anyway so it's easier to just give power away. I equate progress with ego too. I tell myself that all that need for progress and all those wants were part of the old me. 

12 hours ago, abrakamowse said:

Lately I have been taking decisions flipping a coin and it's working really well.

:P

@abrakamowse I toyed with using a dice and becoming the dice man :) But do you think a coin is better? Better to have just two choices? 

1 hour ago, Wisebaxter said:

@Joseph Maynor @Leo Gura mentioned it, in Free will vs determinism. But maybe I took it the wrong way somehow. I laughed uncontrollably for a while and felt completely liberated, but since then I've had this dilemma being caused by not knowing how much control I should be exerting. Control feels like ego to me you know?

You're both an Ego and a No-Ego at the same time.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

24 minutes ago, Joseph Maynor said:

You're both an Ego and a No-Ego at the same time.

Yup. What Wisebaxter seems to need is a good paradox. Plenty here in the offerings. What can "I-I" say? Add? Subtract?

Nothing.

Wisebaxter: That stage is a great stage. Enjoy. Breathe deeply. A good paradox quiets the mind. So does the voice of Adyashanti. No matter what pretend little level or stage we're on, it's really great IMHO. Adya's voice. Leo's 2.5 hours of content, or Sri Nasargadatta Maharaj (especially all the stuff that contradicts the other stuff). If it's stressful, seeking is occuring. If it quiets the mind. Yay.

M