Manjushri

Should I continue with enlightenment work or build a material life first?

18 posts in this topic

I don't think I can do enlightenment work and regular worldly life at the same time. If I end up a bum I wouldn't have the resources to do enlightenment work. I need to go through the grind of financial independence first, move up the maslow hierarchy. so i can even be in a position to be able to get teached and to practice.

They are not mutually exclusive. You can work for financial independence, and still have time in the day to do enlightenment work. 
I agree with you though, work through the foundational levels of Maslows hierachy and slowly inch your way up the spiral to have a integrated and balance grounding before prioritising enlightenment.

@Knock Yeah but when the "time in your day" becomes full time enlightenment work because you know that's the only important thing!! and you neglect the lower levels - can't do that at 19 years old. unless i become a monk/yogi

You already answered your own question.

What a dream, what a joke, love it   :x

That's an excuse rooted in fear, a huge deception you put on yourself.

You still have some hours of free time no matter your schedule,that's a big fat lie to say otherwise.

Not only that, but the core of the spiritual work is to be conscious and let go of thoughts patternss/emotional blockages, which is done 24/24 and not just on the cushion.

Edited by Shin

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

@Shin of course but then I go into "lets devote all of my life to enlightenment" mode at the cost of everything

Just now, Manjushri said:

@Shin of course but then I go into "lets devote all of my life to enlightenment" mode at the cost of everything

No.

You're just searching an excuse to stay inconscious.

A smart excuse, but an excuse nonetheless.

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

@Manjushri @Manjushri

Dear you can pursue enlightenment later. First focus on studies career job. That's more important now. If you are having some mental illness take treatment. You will gain nothing out of enlightenment. Enlightenment will not fetch you money educational degree job marriage. In other words your body has to live in this world. Who will feed you? Pay for your expenses? Are your parents rich enough and left you with huge fortune? 

Don't deceive yourself with enlightenment. Hope you are not trying to escape and hide behind enlightenment for your life situation.

Enlightenment will not solve your life problems. 

4 hours ago, Manjushri said:

you know that's the only important thing!!

You are young and you think in binary terms - either this or that, but a good life is a balance. The middle path, if you will.

It is very selfish to think enlightenment is something you do only for yourself. If you intend to become a pratyekabuddha, quit right now. 

Living a normal balanced life as a part of society is the foundation for being a bodhisattva, your job once you are at high level will be to become a viable part of society, which will help promote the collective consciousness.

In the end, every single thing you do is enlightenment work, you are just not conscious enough to see it yet. This work isn't separate from day to day life.

"After ecstasy the laundry."

Old zen quote

Edited by Anton Rogachevski

35 minutes ago, Manjushri said:

You can't meditate 24h a day. Try and see. After a week you'll be suicidal. 

Everyone has an hour a day for meditation. Just keep it goin like that. 

If you want your job to give you spiritual results. Make sure you're not working in some meat factory.

Right livelihood means that one should abstain from making one’s living through a profession that brings harm to others, such as trading in arms and lethal weapons, intoxicating drinks or poisons, killing animals, cheating, etc., and should live by a profession which is honorable, blameless, and innocent of harm to others.

Edited by Salvijus

Practice the practice of no practice. You don't have to sit in the lotus pose in order to meditate. You can meditate while doing your daily chores, creating your business..etc. Of course, this is easier said than done but if you start today you may be enlightened at the same time when you get your financial independence.

3 hours ago, Manjushri said:

I don't think I can do enlightenment work and regular worldly life at the same time. If I end up a bum I wouldn't have the resources to do enlightenment work. I need to go through the grind of financial independence first, move up the maslow hierarchy. so i can even be in a position to be able to get teached and to practice.

Im telling you now that, yes, a good foundation always pays out and makes your growth sustainable,But definitely never stop doing enlightenment work at least on the side. It should always be in the back of your mind and it should be the lense through which you see your everyday self actualization in a different way.

The reason for this is that spirituality is so subtle that theres always a good chance it brings you a deep break through in some way or the other. Just starting spirituality could offer insides that would accelerate all the other stuff that your doing in your life hundredfold.

I personally had a mystical experience before I even reached my goal of loosing my virginity and with no meditation habit on some random lsd trip. It is rare yes but it is also very possible. Thats because of the subtle nature of this work and how simple it in practice is

I know you're tired but come. This is the way - Rumi

You can do both. Having a stable material life is very important, you don't want to live in the streets and do consciousness work. I have a small apartment, more than enough for me. It gives you a stable place to work in peace, etc.

@Manjushri

Do whatever you think you should do, but simply be there when you do it.

When you walk, notice: "I'm walking".

When you talk, notice: "I'm talking".

Apply this for everything in your life, and you will be just fine.

When I think about it, my whole life I have had plenty of time to do fulfilling spiritual work, even though I've always worked and built assets. I've likely averaged around a twenty-hour working week my entire adult life.... hence, I haven't crawled very far up the career ladder, but I've been stable and productive.  

I never wanted material success, if was going to mean working 100+ hours per week. That did not appeal to me at all!  However, I didn't want to be on the poverty line, either, as that would be uncomfortable. I chose the middle road. 

One thing I've noticed is that when you work less, you have more time on your hands to do money-saving things, and so you don't need a high income. Just for example, I have time to mow my own lawns, so I don't have to pay someone to do this. I have time to make my own lunch when I do go to work, so I'm not paying for expensive meals. I have time to ride my bike places, so as I'm not paying to run a car.  I have time to mend clothes, and browse the second-hand stores and find bargains. I enjoy all these things and the money I save means I don't need to go out to work as often... so it becomes a very self-perpetuating cycle.

As for doing the spiritual work, even though I have the time, I don't always do it. There is no pressure! If you would prefer to sit under a shady tree with a good book, then just do that.  In some ways, I think enjoying quite times alone and undisturbed is a good spiritual practice in itself.