Roman25

I don't think getting rid of ego is possible

46 posts in this topic

I ate so many mushrooms that even my ego believed that it doesn't exist.....and tripped out at the realization.

1 hour ago, tentacion said:

It seems like it depends on how you define the ego. If the ego is the identification with the body and brain as you said Nahm then the ego seem to be real. We could also say that there is just identification with the body. In the end it's just the infinite doing it's thing and we have no control over it because we are it and it choose to exist in human form/body. We just can't remember it which is the whole point.

Btw, is the ego some entity of it's own or something like that? I think about it like that sometimes but I really have no idea :P

Ego is the identification with Experience as me or mine or them.  In addition, Ego is the identification with Thought-stories about me or mine or them.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

I know it sounds counter-intuitive and paradoxical but you have to go from hating Ego and wanting to get rid of Ego to loving and accepting Ego.  But at the same time fully realizing the illusion of Ego.  It’s tricky because we tend to want to stick to one answer like “Ego is bad” instead of accepting a paradox like Ego and No Ego.

@Joseph Maynor This. 

Edited by GabeN

Knowledge/experience which is the old (of memory) determines what is recognized as a “new” experience that happens in the present moment. 

“The self” actually being a fragment of that knowledge/experience(the past-memory) separates itself as being independent of that field of thought/experience. 

If a present moment experience is actually of the past-the old is there actually an experiencer that experiences? 

Edited by Jack River

1 hour ago, Mikael89 said:

I see the body as a ego, since it's a separate thing from the rest. And it can feel pain. It can only see a limited part of the universe. It can feel all kind of emotions, feelings, and sensations. It can think and remember. And so on.

Are the eyeballs body, or not body? 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

2 hours ago, Mikael89 said:

I see the body as a ego, since it's a separate thing from the rest. And it can feel pain. It can only see a limited part of the universe. It can feel all kind of emotions, feelings, and sensations. It can think and remember. And so on.

Do you see thinking with eyes? 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

Sorry for no replies. I completely forgot that I made this thread until now lol. Thank you all for sharing your perspective

13 hours ago, Roman Edouard said:

I see ego demonized very often but I don't think it's actually possible to get rid of it. Other than offing your self.

But here's a message to the suicidal people: Seems like you believe that you can’t have a nightmare if you never dream.

About ego, I think that getting rid of your ego is just as likely as unlearning your native language. It's just not going to happen. Even when you look at something, that is ego.

For example: At breakfast time in school I sit alone in lunch since it's early in the morning and I don't feel like talking to anyone at that time. One thing that I noticed is that people tend to look directly at me more often than any random object around me. The obvious deduction is that humans find it more appealing to look at other people rather than objects that they are already relative to. If you're my annoying brother than you'd ask something like "well how would you know they are looking at you? Wouldn't you have to be looking at them first?" It's a corner of the eye thing that you can see if someone is looking at you xD.

For instance, let's say that you have a dog. You are not relative to that dog since you just bought it. But over time you get used to it. If people saw a seal crawling down a road then they would be in shock and take pictures of it since they aren't relative to seeing that.

What is ego? It's a collection of thoughts anchored on the fake "I" thought. Put a stop to thoughts and the ego disappears. There's no need for all this dramatization.

What you wrote is the ego trying to trick you into thinking that it is immortal. How can it be immortal when it doesn't exist to begin with? 

In your example "I sit alone in lunch..." you are admitting that you identify with a body. Realize that the body is just a thought, and separate the I am from the body. Then try and find the source of "I". Just like that the ego disappears. It's no so hard to make the ego disappear. 

Inquiry on ego.

Who,or what, is it that has an identity called ego?

What is it that is aware, of that which believes itself to have an ego?

I must say that in all relevant teachings I came across the term "ego" was absent. So I am at a loss what the topic here is.

Please do not pay attention to my empty words if you are following Leo's teaching !!
Sometimes my empty words may appear too negative, too rational, too irrational, egoistical or even like trolling because my path is a non-path and is nothing but deviation and incompatible with all teachings known.

@Mikael89  How can the body be an ego? It does not feel physical pain - when somebody hits you, then there is a sensation of pain which even the word 'pain' does not accurately describe as it is merely a part of the infinite flux of sensations = reality. 

So 'pain' is just a label you constructed for a specific sensation and 'body' is another label referring to a set of other sensations. In reality there is simply an impersonal occurrence of what you describe as 'pain'.

You see, the reason you want to be better, is the reason why you aren’t. Shall I put it like that?

We aren't better, because we want to be.

~ Alan Watts

@Mikael89  Self-inquiry it is for you then, the time will come when you will grasp it. Everything is precisely where it should be :)

You see, the reason you want to be better, is the reason why you aren’t. Shall I put it like that?

~ Alan Watts

39 minutes ago, Mikael89 said:

@Flammable Yea, okay.

You need to break yourself into little pieces, could take a long time. Ask yourself? Why does feeling imply my existence? Am I my hair, am I my nails? Am I my arm? Etc. 

Science has proven that the brain creates a body-map, read the book Phantoms in The Brain. Its not easy, youve been taught since you were a baby that you are YOU. :)

I dont rush it, I enjoy the investigation, maybe I am a body but the evidence in my months of inquiry is that Im not. Somethings fishy.

Dont look at me! Look inside!

Attaining Selflessness is possible, getting rid of the ego completely is not possible as long as you are alive. It's still a part of you, rather embrace it than trying to kill it and create a new "ego that says killing old ego is only way to be good".

16 minutes ago, Nahm said:

??❤️ Hey.    Welcome back. 

Nahm, you have wonderful responses :x

~ Alan Watts