winterknight

I am enlightened. Sincere seekers: ask me anything

4,433 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Serotoninluv said:

You mention the pointer dispels ignorance and what remains is Self. Yet is not the ignorance “within” Self? What would be the distinction between between ignorance and Self?

Yes, in the end there is no ignorance and no dispelling of it. The very idea that there “is” ignorance is itself ignorance... it’s a seeming paradox. But one has to pretend ignorance exists at first if one is a seeker. 

Website/book/one-on-one spiritual guidance: Sifting to the Truth: A New Map to the Self

3 minutes ago, winterknight said:

Yes, in the end there is no ignorance and no dispelling of it. The very idea that there “is” ignorance is itself ignorance... it’s a seeming paradox. But one has to pretend ignorance exists at first if one is a seeker. 

Is it fair to say there is awareness of existence? Or is it closer to the truth to say nothing exists to be aware of?

Just now, Serotoninluv said:

Is it fair to say there is awareness of existence? Or is it closer to the truth to say nothing exists to be aware of?

both are equally distant from Truth

unborn Truth

@Serotoninluv

38 minutes ago, Serotoninluv said:

The only 'true' statement(if there is such a thing) is I AM.

Anything more is redundant and can be traced as being another belief..

''Not this...

Not this...

PLEASE...Not this...''

15 minutes ago, ajasatya said:

both are equally distant from Truth

Yes, as are all words and concepts. The terms “closer” and “distant” are concessions to the dualism inherent in language.

I’m more interested in which might be a better relative pointer than the words themselves as being true.

13 minutes ago, Preetom said:

@Serotoninluv

The only 'true' statement(if there is such a thing) is I AM.

Anything more is redundant and can be traced as being another belief..

In the absolute, are not all statements both true and false (or neither true nor false)? 

In the relative, do not all statements have partial truth?

Just now, Serotoninluv said:

I’m more interested in which might be a better relative pointer than the words themselves as being true.

it always depends on the current struggle of the seeker. both A and ¬A can be valid teachings.

unborn Truth

34 minutes ago, ajasatya said:

it always depends on the current struggle of the seeker. both A and ¬A can be valid teachings.

Couldn't agree more!

The best teachers never had a fixed set of instructions presented as the absolute law. They almost always took the teaching in the opposite direction of the seeker's beliefs in an attempt to bring him out from his nesting place..

''Not this...

Not this...

PLEASE...Not this...''

@winterknight what if you only want to fulfill the desire and aren't fulfilled unless it gets fulfilled?

It also doesn't have to depend on other people I think? Only when it comes down to romantic desires.

50 minutes ago, Serotoninluv said:

Neither are correct, of course. Since I saw in a later post you're interested in pointer-value, there is no single answer to this question. It depends on the seeker -- what will get them to intuit the obvious.

Or perhaps: "Awareness of" is itself the wrong way to think about Truth. Awareness "without an of" is better. And that then becomes a koan...

10 minutes ago, Tistepiste said:

@winterknight what if you only want to fulfill the desire and aren't fulfilled unless it gets fulfilled?

It also doesn't have to depend on other people I think? Only when it comes down to romantic desires.

So pursue the desire as best as you can.

Website/book/one-on-one spiritual guidance: Sifting to the Truth: A New Map to the Self

@winterknight but I feel like then your state of happiness is unconditional and depending on your desires. Isn't that what you want to get rid of

1 hour ago, ajasatya said:

That’s a good point. 

Yet is not this statement itself relative? Can A and -A always be valid teachings depending on the seeker? That would suggest all teachings have relative validity. Such that the teaching: a triflet of pogard is shoglin to mestan - has validity (as does it’s opposite) depending on the seeker. 

I think most would consider that teaching to be nonsense. Yet, I suppose if one person considered it valid, then it becomes valid.

1 hour ago, Tistepiste said:

@winterknight

It goes much deeper if you think about it. The very concept of desire assumes otherness aka a separate self.

If you desire food, there has to be people making it. If you desire and love entertainment(let's say TV show), there are people making it. Even if you desire 'nature', that assumes something other than you and needs to be a certain way. Literally anything you desire needs to fulfill an infinite number of parameters to be fulfilled itself. No wonder no desire is ever truly fulfilled!

The ultimate solution is not a state where your desires are completely fulfilled but to clearly see this broken system and thus transcend it naturally.

''Not this...

Not this...

PLEASE...Not this...''

1 hour ago, winterknight said:

Yes, in the end there is no ignorance and no dispelling of it. 

Or perhaps: "Awareness of" is itself the wrong way to think about Truth. Awareness "without an of" is better. 

Is there not awareness that there is no ignorance and no dispelling of it?

44 minutes ago, Tistepiste said:

@winterknight but I feel like then your state of happiness is unconditional and depending on your desires. Isn't that what you want to get rid of

Read through these links to understand my whole philosophy.

As I said in response to your earlier post, you need to be honest about your true desires -- your true feelings -- in order to quiet your mind enough to pursue spiritual inquiry.

@winterknight Ok I see. Hmm.. what do you do if you love a person but the person is 1000s of miles away and it is practically impossible to practice the love? Is that a pursuit? A desire? Ideally it would be to move on and forget the person. Don't know if it's relevant to this though

9 minutes ago, winterknight said:

No, not in truth. Even those statements are not quite correct.

Would it be “more correct” to say that the statement “there is no ignorance or dispeling of it” simply appeared?

1 hour ago, Serotoninluv said:

Would it be “more correct” to say that the statement “there is no ignorance or dispeling of it” simply appeared?

This line of questioning reminds me of how the attempt to get political correctness with mind which can't be grasped in the first place, leads to more and more confusion and conflict and never towards the lived realization.

Just like how the Hindus and Buddhists bust each other's nuts over the true self and no self arguments lol

''Not this...

Not this...

PLEASE...Not this...''

35 minutes ago, Serotoninluv said:

It would be more correct to say that there can neither be said to be appearance or no-appearance or both.

4 minutes ago, winterknight said:

It would be more correct to say that there can neither be said to be appearance or no-appearance or both.

Hmmm, does this go back to the hunter story in which the enlightened being did not “see” the running deer appear and disappear?